S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Coilover system for some track and daily driving?

Old 01-26-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,Jan 26 2006, 09:46 PM
Maybe just adding some more camber up front would reduce the understeer to your liking. Understeer can happen with coilovers too.
But coilovers are adjustable to where you can reduce a lot more right?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 PM
BKL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, there are other ways to reduce the understeer than via tuning with dampers.

Also, it is sometimes not that easy to do suspension tuning until you are more experienced with it.

to start off, I would recommend tampering with alignment settings and tire sizes rather than going of the coilovers.

just a thought.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amer,Jan 26 2006, 09:31 PM
I find the stock setup very unfriendly for aggressive driving. I understeer badly taking corners.
Coilovers are a pain to set up and require experience and/or luck to get right fast. Its kind of like a camera that has the best lenses and features. 99% of people will still take crappy pictures until they use it for a very long time.

Not knowing the most important variable here (tyres) its hard to give any sort of accurate advice. Understeering in this car usually means you come into the corner too fast. Getting bigger fronts will help this BUT you must realize the car may be an oversteering nightmare in some situations if you do this.

The suggestion of alignment putzing is a good one, but can be frustrating because its not like you have an alignment crew following you into the canyons. I think you will find track time (even in the car's current state) a good way of feeling each corner's grip limit and adjusting your driving style to suit the car.

FYI I learnt the most about car driving when my car was poorly aligned (found out later) and was an understeering pig....but by the end of the day I was turning in comprable laps (within 2 seconds on a 3.5 mile course) to what I had done previously with a well aligned car.

Bassem
Old 01-27-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't specialized shops who are say tein distributors have the skills to fine tune the suspension?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 316 Likes on 149 Posts

Not unless you can tell them exactly what's going on with the car at every phase of a corner (and be sure it's the car and not you).

Wait till you can turn in 10 consecutive laps within +/-1 second. Then you'll be consistent enough to fine-tune an adjustable setup.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the car has to be driven near or at it's limits to properly tune its suspension. They might be able to guess at a reasonable starting point, but there are so many other variables that affect handling that it requires dynamic testing.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:44 PM

The quick and easy answer without knowing your driving style, tires, experience, etc. etc.............................KW V 3's if you have tuning skills or try Bilstein PSS9's if you're new to making adjustments.

For reference, I've done track days, bought things for my car, want to make it fast and look good, but I haven't put my money into a new suspension because I think I can get more out of the stocks.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah if you find the car understeers something is wrong w/ your alignment.

What specs is your car aligned to? Furthermore a BSK will go a lot farther to make the car easier to control than shocks. Stiffer shocks will likely make the car harder for you to control since you have that much less compliance and room for error.

They're faster yes, -if- you're experienced enuf to drive in a tighter window.

Sounds like you just want new parts. But I assure you, the stock shocks are a lot faster than you are

Of course I'd love to sell you a set of KW's. But if you ask me, I'd take the $ and do 6-9 months of speedventures.

I'm usually there w/ my stock car if you want to see how fast you are compared to a bone stock car.

-Ry
Old 01-27-2006, 04:02 PM

For the racing impaired, BSK = Bump Steer Kit
Old 01-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh yeah sorry.

and a BSK won't fix your understeer problem. an alignment and driving school well help that. the BSK will help with the snap oversteer when you start driving hard.

-Ry