S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

clutch and brake pad upgrade

Old 12-08-2003, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch and brake pad upgrade

i am looking for an aftermarket clutch for my S. does anyone have any recommendations or know of strong clutches? i really have not found any info on aftermarket clutches for this car. i am also looking for better brake pads. i heard great things about HAWK pads....does anyone recommend a better one?
gray
Old 12-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't needed to touch my stock clutch yet, so no advice on that. Brake pads really depend on your intended use and what particular characteristics you define as "better." One thing for sure is that most of the non-stock performance brake pad compounds will a) throw more dust (some throw A LOT more dust and some of it is very corrosive), b) be noisy as hell on the street and c) wear your rotors out faster.

Have a look here http://www.thegofastlab.com/s2ki/customer/.../home.php?cat=5 for more information on brakes.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:20 AM

It would help a great deal if you told us why you are looking for better pads. Autox, highspeed track, street improvement??? Without this info I can not do a lot to help you.

No clutch upgrade needed yet at 24,000 miles, so I have no info to share.

I use Hawk Blues on the track manly because I have a lot of experience with them and I wanted to start with a few known variable when I started doing schools with a new car - the S2000.

Hawk makes many grades of pad material. I do not like their HP or HPS (Blacks) because they dust like hell on the street. Don't get me wrong - they perform great, but for the street I need something clean. I love their Blues for the track, but these pads can not be used on the street. One important note about the Blues, they can not be used in the wet/rain. The dust that comes off is so hot it sticks to whatever it touches, then it starts to rust. Once this is dry there is no chemical known to man that will clean the surface the dust stuck to. However, in the dry they are fine, just a simple wipe down at the end of the day and your wheels will be fine. Inappropriate as hell for an Autox event.

I suspect once my set of Blues are consumed I will try something different, but who knows, I may come right back to them in the future.

I'm not endorsing this vendor, I just find their data sheet complete and helpful.
http://www.raceshopper.com/hawk_brake_compounds.shtml
Old 12-09-2003, 05:48 AM
pfb

My favorite pads for performance street use are the Porterfield R4S's.

My favorite pads for the track, but still streetable with some noise and dust are the Panther Plus'es.

Running an ACT clutch with a Comptech lightened flywheel. Happy with both.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:15 AM

thanks pfb, i will check those out.
triple-H, i'm looking for pads that will be an improvement when i autox 2-3 times a month, and go to about 4 or 5 track days this summer. i didn't know there were specific pads for the track that could not be used on the street. i guess i would be interested in the pad that gave me the best performance on the track, while also being ok on the street.
thanks for the sites guys. also, is that track newbie package a good deal?
gray
Old 12-09-2003, 07:20 AM
pfb

R4S's, and certainly stock pads, *will not* hold up to track use unless you are very gentle on the brakes.

Both should be fine for AutoX.

Most folks have resigned to changing out pads for track days. With practice, not such a hard job. I can typically change out all four pads, do a quick bleed, and swap on the race wheel/tires in less than an hour.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by pfb
Most folks have resigned to changing out pads for track days. With practice, not such a hard job. I can typically change out all four pads, do a quick bleed, and swap on the race wheel/tires in less than an hour.
mcquarrieg, what pfb says is true. It would be great if there could be such a miracle pad that would do it all and do it great. There are some guys who can suggest a pad that will do it all, and do it well, but I'm not able to make that suggestion because I switch pads for track use as pfb indicates.

A true track pad needs a certain temperature to effectively work, and that temperature is in simple terms hot. Before they are hot they make a ton of dust, they are noisy as hell and they don't slow the car down real well. Once they are hot they grip like heck, are not prone to fading, dust less and don't make as much noise. So, as you can see there is the problem - you would not be able to get them hot and keep them hot during normal street driving, so for that application a competition pad would be lousy.

If a compromise pad is what you want, they are out there. Porterfield, Carbotech and Hawk are just a few. Check out some of the s2ki.com sponsors and see what they have to offer in MARKETPLACE above.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by mcquarrieg
is that track newbie package a good deal?
gray
I bought one so I have to say yes Seriously though, I beleive it's a good deal. The lines and fluids are top notch and the HP+ pads are serving my needs well. The pads do make noise and dust on the street but that's to be expected. They haul the car down without drama at the track with a nice progressive pedal and good initial bite so I'm pretty happy with them. When they're worn out I'll do some more investigating but unless you're planning on changing out your pads every track day then your options for are limited. Since I've already gone down the slippery slope with R compounds and assorted other foolishness I'm not concerned with having to change out the brakes as well

Hope this was helpful.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:15 PM

Not sure exactly how aggressive of a clutch you are looking for, but I recently went to a full spoon set-up. I like it because the engagement is basically stock with about 30% more clamping force. I'm N/a so its perfect.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:32 AM

hey kekoa where did you get that spoon clutch. i checked on spoonsports but couldn't find it. what does N/A mean?
thanks ludedude, i'll probably get that package
gray

Quick Reply: clutch and brake pad upgrade