S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Chassis tuning help please

Old 05-12-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fongu,May 12 2006, 05:04 PM
My real answer is I don't know. Don't have experience with that configuration. The typical driving school response is take your manufacturer recommended pressure (I think 32 psi) and add 5-10 psi. So say try 38-40 psi. That should be OK since a RE050 has a max tire pressure is 50 psi. This "driving school" answer is due to that typically most street tires have softer sidewalls, so require more air pressure to prevent the sidewalls "folding" over and screwing up the tire patch. Also note that this is cold tire pressure. Tires get hotter when run hard, heating up the air in the tire, increasing the pressure. So, depending how "good" you are, tire pressures can vary quite a bit on the track.

I'm going to assume that you're a novice driver, so don't be offended if you're not. Don't worry about all this suspension tuning stuff for now. The most important thing for a novice is to have a safe car and worry about learning car control. The driver is the most important thing as far as controlling oversteer and understeer, it doesn't matter what the suspension settings are.

After getting control of the driving basics and you can feel what the car is doing, you can try out changing tire pressures. That's free so no big deal playing with it. Next alignment settings. Next swaybars if necessary. Lastly, shock/spring/ride height combo. This is the most complicated tuning method and is so easy to screw up the stock car handling if you as a driver can't read if the car is working well.
Actually, I am pretty decent driver. I generally run in the intermediate/advanced run groups in my previous cars at HPDE events.

This will be my first track event in the S2000.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:22 AM

how does front-rear tire pressure differences affect grip (oversteer/understeer)

ive seen some online guides state that the tire with higher pressure (within range) will have more grip...

my specific case... i ran my RA-1's on an auto-x yesterday (yes i know theyre for road racing..but an auto-x just came up)

Toyo recommends 32 psi COLD...assuming it builds up to 40-44 HOT...

i know RA-1's wont heat up as fast on an auto-x like hoosiers... i started at 38 psi COLD front and back, but the rear was loose as hell till i started dropping pressure just in the back...then it got better...

everything else is stock AP1. is it generally understood to have lower pressure in the back than the front for better rear end grip? i just want to know if this is generally accepted or if its something else with the car...
Old 05-15-2006, 01:36 PM

The reason why this car most often likes to run lower pressure at the back is that the car is ~50:50 but the rear tires are wider (though same diameter as the front). When you run a wider tire without changing tire diameter or weight on that axle, you need lower pressure to keep similar contact patch shape.