S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
My guess is it will be okay. The pans they're selling now are far far beyond the initial production run. So, given that they know what the problems were before, and given that we know that they were primarily caused by the welder who isn't doing the welding anymore, I would think they'll make sure the pain is okay. Glad to know that they have good customer service and are warranties something that is as old as it is. Also, Jeff has told me that they aren't getting any complaints like before on these pans are now pretty much made to order.
I wish CKit the best, but for the record, the pinhole leak along a weld that Canton repaired on my pan (done at the same time as the repair of the major crack at the A/C attachment point plate) began leaking from the exact same place as before. I was told the repair was leaktested before my pan was re-plated. I put some Permatex black over it from the outside and so far no more leak. Ghetto, but I'm not interested in wasting my time and effort R&R-ing the pan again. Or calling and talking to Canton.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just FYI, they are replacing the pan and not attempting a repair. If it was a welder that is no longer working there, might be okay. One of my favorite local shops has done a ton of great work for me over the years, but they had one bum employee once (now fired) who messed up one project for us. They put one of their good employees on the project and fixed the issues. Even good shops suffer poor employees, as long as we (as consumers) understand that and come to reasonable solutions, that's well within my expectation. Yes, I'd prefer to not be on the first run of a project next time, but it is what it is.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
Just FYI, they are replacing the pan and not attempting a repair. If it was a welder that is no longer working there, might be okay. One of my favorite local shops has done a ton of great work for me over the years, but they had one bum employee once (now fired) who messed up one project for us. They put one of their good employees on the project and fixed the issues. Even good shops suffer poor employees, as long as we (as consumers) understand that and come to reasonable solutions, that's well within my expectation. Yes, I'd prefer to not be on the first run of a project next time, but it is what it is.
I had not installed mine (BNIB), so a few months ago I requested to return it for a refund minus the restocking fee (15%); and I paid for shipping as well. I didn't have the time to install it, check or wait for leaks, then remove it and send it back for a replacement. But kudos to Canton for replacing them.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt
Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1446644674' post='23794627
I had not installed mine (BNIB), so a few months ago I requested to return it for a refund minus the restocking fee (15%); and I paid for shipping as well. I didn't have the time to install it, check or wait for leaks, then remove it and send it back for a replacement. But kudos to Canton for replacing them.
Except that Bob @ Canton inexplicably refused my request for a new pan, and insisted that my only option was to send in my leaking/cracked pan, and have it repaired. This after me stating that I would pay for another pan (with my credit card), and they could credit me for the cost of the second pan after they'd received my old pan. And also after I explained that I was a racer, and being down for several weeks (I was promised a two-week turnaround time; it ended up taking a full month) would prevent me from attending a race event that was very important to me.

Sorry, but I give Canton Racing zero kudos for the way they treated me as a customer who experienced a problem with their product. Also, please keep in mind that the pan I bought was NOT within the discounted-cost, s2ki group buy initial production run—I paid the full retail price + shipping direct from Canton for mine.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally installed a mechanical gauge for oil pressure and was kind of disappointed today. I noticed some starvation in a high speed right on every lap on my GoPro video at the FIRM. I'm hoping that maybe a door is just stuck open. If not, then this really sucks. I'm on really old Z2s I bought off of danuk and it has been over a year since I have even driven the car so I'm definitely out of practice. Checked oil level just prior to going on track.

Anywho, just reporting my results after going from an electronic gauge to a mechanical gauge.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What was the pressure drop you measured?
Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
I finally installed a mechanical gauge for oil pressure and was kind of disappointed today. I noticed some starvation in a high speed right on every lap on my GoPro video at the FIRM. I'm hoping that maybe a door is just stuck open. If not, then this really sucks. I'm on really old Z2s I bought off of danuk and it has been over a year since I have even driven the car so I'm definitely out of practice. Checked oil level just prior to going on track.

Anywho, just reporting my results after going from an electronic gauge to a mechanical gauge.
Same question as 99 Sh.

Starvation, means pressure dropping close to zero. If your pressure was simply dropping to lower than normal, that's the oil pump, not the pan. In other words, if the pickup is covered with oil, then it's covered with oil. Doesn't matter if it's covered with six quarts or a half a cup.

Also, potential problem with a mechanical gauge, if for some reason the oil pressure isn't getting all the way from your engine to the inside of your car to the back of the gauge.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20psi.

Included a couple videos. Looks like it does the same thing under braking in the second video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZnwLGuXYN44
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Would be interested to hear thoughts on it but definitely not what I expected... Does the same thing in varying degrees lap after lap on this turn and on occasion in other right turns. I'm guessing way way worse at something like Roebling...(??)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

You can drop pressure with oil and air pockets moving around the pickup without actually losing pressure. The pump at fault is not the answer you're looking for.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
20psi.

Included a couple videos. Looks like it does the same thing under braking in the second video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZnwLGuXYN44
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Would be interested to hear thoughts on it but definitely not what I expected... Does the same thing in varying degrees lap after lap on this turn and on occasion in other right turns. I'm guessing way way worse at something like Roebling...(??)
It's great that you have provided us with a glimpse of what happens with our engines. Even after 10-15 yrs of people tracking our car, we have extremely limited data regarding oil pressure on track. So to have something like this is good.

As I mentioned before, if the oil pickup is covered with oil, then it won't contribute to any oil pressure starvation or drop, regardless of whether it's covered with 5 quarts or 1 cup. I can't really see the gauge well, and it's difficult to conjecture how quickly and how much your gauge would drop if the pickup was uncovered for a brief moment.

You may have mentioned this in the past, but what did you notice with your electric gauge? Even if it was before the Canton pan. Since I can't see the gauge well, how long was your pressure drop? With my piece of crap AEM gauges, you can't tell crap. They are just a bunch of stupid LED's and a digital readout that bounces around so erratically it's almost useless. No damping.

The pan is theoretically a possibility, since your gauge and tracking is for the first time, the accuracy or installation of a mechanical gauge is a possibility, and another possibility is this is a problem with just your engine or pump, or the overall design. Again, we have such limited past data, so thanks for this, and keep it coming.

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here