S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 07-22-2015, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

started getting leaks, oil coating the bottom of the pan. no leaks that i can see from anywhere else. going to assuming its the pan until i had a chance to properly lift the car up.

Did canton do anything regarding that spacer yet?
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kvnchu
started getting leaks, oil coating the bottom of the pan. no leaks that i can see from anywhere else. going to assuming its the pan until i had a chance to properly lift the car up.

Did canton do anything regarding that spacer yet?
There is no evidence to suggest Canton has done anything to its baseline design. Keep us posted with your correspondences and path forward w/Canton.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guessing no updates on this? Thought I was in the clear after my first few track days, but now I get to join the leaking pan club . Not sure if its a weld, or a sealing surface problem yet.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 00MUGENS2
Guessing no updates on this? Thought I was in the clear after my first few track days, but now I get to join the leaking pan club . Not sure if its a weld, or a sealing surface problem yet.
First figure out where the leak is. Chances are that it's from the sealing of the pan. If it's from a weld, contact Jeff at Canton.

If it's from the seal, reseal using a liberal amount of Hondabond tighten the bolts from the inside one's to the outside edges, rather than the usual criss cross pattern. That seems to have helped most people.. Make sure the sealing surfaces are completely free of oil. Let the oil drip from the block as long as possible, then use a rag to wipe as high up around the edges of the block sealing surface as possible to give yourself as much time as possible to fit the pan. Remember to use brake cleaner or some other non-residue solvent to wipe down the surfaces.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, pan still leaks. Had it off for the umpteenth time and there are just so many pinholes that it's not worth fixing.

I'm hoping that it's just an issue with early production pans, but nothing surprises me these days.

Jeff and Bob are being reasonable and warrantying the pan. Will let people know if the new one is better. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not, but will give it a try.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
So, pan still leaks. Had it off for the umpteenth time and there are just so many pinholes that it's not worth fixing.

I'm hoping that it's just an issue with early production pans, but nothing surprises me these days.

Jeff and Bob are being reasonable and warrantying the pan. Will let people know if the new one is better. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not, but will give it a try.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:11 PM

My guess is it will be okay. The pans they're selling now are far far beyond the initial production run. So, given that they know what the problems were before, and given that we know that they were primarily caused by the welder who isn't doing the welding anymore, I would think they'll make sure the pain is okay. Glad to know that they have good customer service and are warranties something that is as old as it is. Also, Jeff has told me that they aren't getting any complaints like before on these pans are now pretty much made to order.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
My guess is it will be okay. The pans they're selling now are far far beyond the initial production run. So, given that they know what the problems were before, and given that we know that they were primarily caused by the welder who isn't doing the welding anymore, I would think they'll make sure the pain is okay. Glad to know that they have good customer service and are warranties something that is as old as it is. Also, Jeff has told me that they aren't getting any complaints like before on these pans are now pretty much made to order.
This is encouraging. I was in on the initial GB and mine is sill BNIB as I have been watching the thread with growing concern. I will try to contact them and see about some kind of exchange. Hopefully my buying the whole shooting match (accusump and oil cooler kit too) will be in my favor
Old 11-03-2015, 03:48 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Paul,

I'm planning to pull my pan tomorrow when I change my oil. I have a small leak back near the flywheel that I think is just the gasket material.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:07 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess I got lucky. My pan has zero leaks, zero misaligned bolt holes, AC bracket bolts up just fine. The only "downside" is the increased heat retention due to the steel material but I knew to expect that going in. I'll report any issues of internal welds/clips if i drop the pan.

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here