S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
For all who are experiencing issues, have you contacted Canton. If so what has been their response?

The never called me back!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Originally Posted by 99SH' timestamp='1436187747' post='23671029
For all who are experiencing issues, have you contacted Canton. If so what has been their response?

The never called me back!
That's not really like them..hmm....Jeff was always super responsive to everyone that needed to talk to him.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
My pan is oozing. From a weld, I think.
I was forced to patch up some cracked welds at the beginning of the season with JB weld. Normally, I would fix the issue correctly by stripping and rewelding, but due to all trouble needed to get the pan to seal properly to the motor, I took the obvious approach.

I just returned from Lime Rock and found a new leak sourcing from another weld point. The quality of this pan is atrocious and I would take it off if I didn't have so much time invested in getting it to hold oil.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead1186
Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1436072950' post='23670088
I was forced to patch up some cracked welds at the beginning of the season with JB weld. Normally, I would fix the issue correctly by stripping and rewelding, but due to all trouble needed to get the pan to seal properly to the motor, I took the obvious approach.

I just returned from Lime Rock and found a new leak sourcing from another weld point. The quality of this pan is atrocious and I would take it off if I didn't have so much time invested in getting it to hold oil.
Were you running HPDE? Didn't see too many other s2ks besides Michael, Chris, and me...

I'll have to check mine again... I'm calling jeff back now.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Originally Posted by gearhead1186' timestamp='1436192201' post='23671087
[quote name='CKit' timestamp='1436072950' post='23670088']

Were you running HPDE? Didn't see too many other s2ks besides Michael, Chris, and me...

[/quote]

Justin, you don't recognize the avatar photo?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead1186
Originally Posted by josserman' timestamp='1436192482' post='23671092
[quote name='gearhead1186' timestamp='1436192201' post='23671087']
[quote name='CKit' timestamp='1436072950' post='23670088']

[/quote]

Justin, you don't recognize the avatar photo?
[/quote]

oh jesus...I'm shot this AM!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ckit, Josserman, Gearhead1186...just exchanged some texts with Jeff....give Canton a call and talk with Bob. Jeff still on vacation.

203-481-9943

As an aside, and off topic (but I think OK), Ballade Sports was somehow able to source the internal VTEC solenoid gasket that leaks. You know, the one where Honda doesn't sell it seperately and the only repair alternative was to replace the whole VTEC solenoid?

I got mine about 2 months ago, have about 6000 miles on it and no leaks yet. Contact Alex and tell him Dave told you so I can get brownie points (but no, I had absolutely nothing to do with this thing). lol

714-902-9027
Ballade Sports- Alex
Old 07-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Ckit, Josserman, Gearhead1186...just exchanged some texts with Jeff....give Canton a call and talk with Bob. Jeff still on vacation.
It's not worth it for me. I'll just have my local shop patch it. IMHO, Canton did the very bare minimum when welding this pan. I don't really have expectations from custom-type stuff. But this pan has been pretty "meh" in terms of execution.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1436196710' post='23671190
It's not worth it for me. I'll just have my local shop patch it. IMHO, Canton did the very bare minimum when welding this pan. I don't really have expectations from custom-type stuff. But this pan has been pretty "meh" in terms of execution.
I agree.

David, thank you for all of your efforts both before, during, and after - I only wish Canton had put in half of the effort that you have and continue to invest in this product.

Sadly, for all the woes and difficulties with getting the pan to fit and so on, one would at least expect it to offer superior performance. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any proof to say that it does.

Jaundice has gone through countless motors, and this pan was unable to save his last motor. It might be something about that track configuration, his driving style, and the motor itself, but this pan was no better than any other "baffle" solution out there.

I stated most of my piece earlier in the thread, and I am quite happy with my decision. If I had to do it all over again, i'm fairly certain I would have done the same thing and still supported Canton with the initial group buy and start of the project. That said, i'm not going to lie and say that they did a great job.

I'm pretty much done with Canton products in the future... Hopefully they'll learn from this in the future. Social media is not very forgiving and mistakes are much more costly and visible these days. Small companies like this cannot afford to make half-assed efforts and do half assed jobs. Either commit to a project and do it well, or don't do it at all.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Odd mine has had no issues or maybe luck. Sealed fine the first time. Dip stick didn't get stuck. All the holes lined up when I bolted it on. No welds broken. And this is after about 5-6 hours of track time including bumpy Sebring and banking at Homestead.

I must have gotten the one welded on a Wednesday instead of a Friday.

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here