S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 06-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Installed the Moroso trap door baffle and left in the stock tray. After looking at the tray in person, I wouldn't want to remove it as it does channel the oil to fall around the pickup.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also left the factory tray in place with the Moroso trap door baffles. There were no interference issues like there were with the Canton pan. The Canton tray does not provide a barrier between the pool of oil and the crankshaft at the front of the crankshaft like the factory tray does. I couldn't fit the Canton pan with the factory tray in place. The Canton tray seems to be a good design for the back part of the pan but leaves the front open. This looked to me like a place where oil in the pan could come into contact with the spinning crankshaft and cause it to foam.

I have a friend with an AP1 who put the Canton pan in his car two seasons ago. He took the factory tray out when he installed the Canton pan. He claims that there is less oil in his catch can during track days after replacing the stock pan (no baffles) with the Canton pan. So apparently there is not a lot of foaming.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had decent luck so far. My dip stick was hard to pull up every now and then. Was all that was bad. Otherwise holding up good. Didn't solve my catch can getting oil issue, but it is noticeably less. More than anything, peace of mind.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Installed the Moroso trap door baffle and left in the stock tray. After looking at the tray in person, I wouldn't want to remove it as it does channel the oil to fall around the pickup.
I agree that if possible you would want to keep the OEM windage tray (which Honda calls a baffle), especially if you don't use another anti-slosh plate. I doubt though that the channels do much of anything...The oil is sloshing and splashing around in there so much when driving.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by beechx1
I have a friend with an AP1 who put the Canton pan in his car two seasons ago. He took the factory tray out when he installed the Canton pan. He claims that there is less oil in his catch can during track days after replacing the stock pan (no baffles) with the Canton pan. So apparently there is not a lot of foaming.
If it's the same guy, I think I remember reading that in the thread...however, I don't really think the pan has any bearing whatsoever on oil collecting in the catch cans. They are a long way away. Oil in the catch cans is related to the valve cover and top end of the engine.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:41 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1434939418' post='23655620
I agree that if possible you would want to keep the OEM windage tray (which Honda calls a baffle), especially if you don't use another anti-slosh plate. I doubt though that the channels do much of anything...The oil is sloshing and splashing around in there so much when driving.

Again, I don't give a crap what Honda calls it.

And... There are two distinct holes for oil to drain out of that tray and they are placed near the pickup. Unless you have such mad acceleration that you're able to get the oil to go up and over the rear step, the majority of the oil only has those two holes to pass through. Doubt all you want, but physics cares not.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:42 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by beechx1' timestamp='1434989605' post='23656132

If it's the same guy, I think I remember reading that in the thread...however, I don't really think the pan has any bearing whatsoever on oil collecting in the catch cans. They are a long way away. Oil in the catch cans is related to the valve cover and top end of the engine.
Oil in catch cans are related to oil vapor in the air inside the engine.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1435116047' post='23658320
[quote name='yamahaSHO' timestamp='1434939418' post='23655620']

And... There are two distinct holes for oil to drain out of that tray and they are placed near the pickup. Unless you have such mad acceleration that you're able to get the oil to go up and over the rear step, the majority of the oil only has those two holes to pass through. Doubt all you want, but physics cares not.
[/quote]

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I wasn't trying to be confrontational with you. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I mentioned what Honda calls it, so that if somebody looked it up on a parts list and they'll know what we are referring to.

So, are you saying that when that windage tray is mounted, the only place in the oil on top of it has to get through to the pan are the two holes? That no oil can go over the front back or sides of it?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1435156876' post='23658765
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1435116047' post='23658320']

[/quote]

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I wasn't trying to be confrontational with you. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I mentioned what Honda calls it, so that if somebody looked it up on a parts list and they'll know what we are referring to.

So, are you saying that when that windage tray is mounted, the only place in the oil on top of it has to get through to the pan are the two holes? That no oil can go over the front back or sides of it?
[/quote]

Read the bold text.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1435160122' post='23658844
[quote name='yamahaSHO' timestamp='1435156876' post='23658765']
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1435116047' post='23658320']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Read the bold text.
[/quote]

Okay yeah I missed qualifying word in your post. So I guess I just don't agree with you. The car is bouncing around so much in about six different axis, that I really don't think the majority of oil goes to those two holes.

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here