S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 01-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great, well thought out and articulated post!

Totally agree with all of the above and would have done the exact same thing you did.

I also did keep the AC on my T3 race car because we're at minimum weight already and it helps with defogging in the rain.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by EGbeater
David,

Do you have any idea—I'm not implying you should; I'm asking honestly, not sarcastically or in an attempt to be a condescending douche—how many Canton pans were sold with the mounting plate/bosses for the OEM A/C compressor? Am I the only one on s2ki who has had an issue with how the A/C compressor bracket fit the Canton pan?

Aside from what IMO was fairly poor customer service overall from Canton, I had ZERO ISSUES OR COMPLAINTS with the fitment of my first 15-966 Canton pan, which did NOT have the welded-on plate/bosses for the A/C compressor bracket, other than for some reason the OEM dipstick would sometimes get stuck and require a very hard yank to remove (something that never happened with the OEM oil pan, of course).

Note that my S2000 is a 2003 AP1 with an OEM flywheel, which is likely why I had no issues with the fitment of the flywheel cover plate. I had read on s2ki about issues with the Canton pan fitting with the OEM windage tray in place, so I removed it and didn't even try to test-fit the Canton pan with the OEM baffle plate.

This first pan did not leak or crack, nor did it suffer a broken weld inside at the baffle plate as hondaplovr13's did. I used it for four track weekends (each a two-day Time Trials events with NASA, roughly 110–120 on-track miles per weekend) as well as several local autocross events and occasional street driving without issues. Those track weekends were at Miller Motorsports Park in UT (east course), High Plains Raceway in CO, Motorsports Park Hastings in NE, and Pueblo Motorsports Park in CO. I had a minor four-off once at Miller (left the track surface at around 45 mph but didn't hit anything; video here) but I didn't go off at any of the other three tracks.

I should probably clarify that my first, non-A/C Canton pan was NOT part of the "beta product group buy" here on s2ki, and that I bought it June 11, 2014, for the full retail price of $516 (+ $10.80 for the #22-370 allen bolt kit + $26.77 shipping).

The second Canton pan I purchased (at a discounted rate, because of the snafu with the first pan not accommodating the A/C compressor bracket) cracked and leaked oil at the A/C compressor mounting plate, and from a pinhole within the bead of a weld at the other end of the pan. Due to the date when I received the second pan (late August 2014), I am assuming this pan was also a finalized-design unit—i.e., not a "beta" pan.

I used the second Canton pan at SCCA Solo Nationals in Lincoln, where the car was subjected to about a dozen practice runs and then exactly 12 autocross competition runs (I had a codriver; no reruns). Then I did one additional track day (open lapping, where I did close to 200 miles on-track) with the A/C-version Canton pan. The oil pan started leaking profusely after that (by which I mean enough oil leaked out of it when I parked the car in my garage that the oil pool under the car was more than two feet wide under the pan and extended past the length of the car... probably an 1/8 to 1/4 quart's worth).

I believe my second Canton pan cracked and started leaking badly because the fitment of the three bosses for the A/C bracket is off by about 1/16", which caused enough stress on the plate over time to cause it to crack. Obviously, this specific failure would not happen on the Canton pans that don't have the A/C bracket plate/bosses.

And before anyone suggests that I'm being a candyass for wanting to have A/C on his "race car," I'll quote myself from a page back:

So, I'm the guy who initially bought the non-A/C pan for my application (I use my S2k for SCCA Solo autocross in STR class as well as NASA Time Trials, plus I drive it to track events many hours away, so I need to have A/C both for STR rule compliance and for the long drives to and from track events)
No problem. I like it when people aren't douchebags. I try myself not to be one...sometimes it's not easy, and sorry to anyone I may have been DB to in the past! lol

Anyway, I don't know exactly how many were sold with and without A/C brackets. I did know this before, when we were doing the initial production run, I kept track, but I don't remember exactly anymore. I think I mentioned it in the old thread though..

I'm pretty sure the vast majority were sold WITH the A/C bracket though. I don't remember hearing about any issues with it either on the thread or brought up to me personally through PM. On my pan, I do remember my mechanic mentioning is was difficult to get the bolts in and tighten them up, but, I don't remember him commenting on why it was difficult.

Regarding the timing of your purchase of both pans....the initial production run for the S2ki guys also included a few pans for non-forum members that heard about it through the grapevine. If I remember correctly, it also included about 10-15 pans produced for Canton's distributors and retailers and for the few people who heard about the "group-buy" a little late. I think the total run of pans was maybe in the 70's. Jeff told me that after this run, most likely they would only keep a couple in stock at a time, so, it would be entirely possible that some people who ordered in the future would have to wait for one to be made.

I'm pretty sure the A/C bracket issue is that all pans are made without it, and it's put on if the person ordering wants it. The A/C bracket thing was interesting and was essentially a surprise to Canton because I guess it's pretty rare to have the A/C mounted to the pan like our cars do.

So, there is a very good chance both of your pans were in the initial run, but that doesn't mean that it was same welder for the AC bracket or the same QC person looking at them.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't read all this, but i've been tracking mine with AC bracket on first run and no leaks. I also got to see pressure on some long sweepers that def fill my oil catch can and no drop in pressure.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ian300D
I haven't read all this, but i've been tracking mine with AC bracket on first run and no leaks. I also got to see pressure on some long sweepers that def fill my oil catch can and no drop in pressure.
way cool. I'm glad you have not had any problems.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian300D
I haven't read all this, but i've been tracking mine with AC bracket on first run and no leaks.
Cool; thank you for "reporting in" Ian300D.

Originally Posted by davidc1
Anyway, I don't know exactly how many were sold with and without A/C brackets. I did know this before, when we were doing the initial production run, I kept track, but I don't remember exactly anymore. I think I mentioned it in the old thread though..

I'm pretty sure the vast majority were sold WITH the A/C bracket though. I don't remember hearing about any issues with it either on the thread or brought up to me personally through PM.

Regarding the timing of your purchase of both pans....the initial production run for the S2ki guys also included a few pans for non-forum members that heard about it through the grapevine. If I remember correctly, it also included about 10-15 pans produced for Canton's distributors and retailers and for the few people who heard about the "group-buy" a little late. I think the total run of pans was maybe in the 70's. Jeff told me that after this run, most likely they would only keep a couple in stock at a time, so, it would be entirely possible that some people who ordered in the future would have to wait for one to be made.

I'm pretty sure the A/C bracket issue is that all pans are made without it, and it's put on if the person ordering wants it. The A/C bracket thing was interesting and was essentially a surprise to Canton because I guess it's pretty rare to have the A/C mounted to the pan like our cars do.

So, there is a very good chance both of your pans were in the initial run, but that doesn't mean that it was same welder for the AC bracket or the same QC person looking at them.
Thank you for this information David. I will note, though, that I had to wait about a month for my second pan (the one with the A/C bracket) from the time that I called them after discovering the first pan didn't have the A/C plate/bosses, because Canton told me they didn't have any built/in stock, and I actually had to give them my credit card info for them to reserve one of the units in their next production batch for me. So that would imply that the A/C compatible pan I received was NOT in the original production run.

Originally Posted by davidc1
On my pan, I do remember my mechanic mentioning is was difficult to get the bolts in and tighten them up, but, I don't remember him commenting on why it was difficult.
It was probably difficult due to the bosses for the bolts being in slightly the wrong places.

On my Canton pan #2, the three bolts that go through the OEM aluminum A/C compressor bracket wouldn't even go through the bracket and start threading into the pan all at the same time because they weren't properly aligned. The first time I installed A/C-compatible pan #2, I had to ovalize one of the three holes in the OEM bracket substantially (about 1.5mm in one direction) to get the three bolts through and into the pan.

The second time (after the pan cracked and was sent back to Canton for repair), NONE of the bolts would go the bracket and align with the bosses on the pan. I had to ovalize the other two holes in my A/C bracket using a Dremel and then a 11/32" drill bit to get the bolts through and into the bosses of the pan.

This implies that Canton's jig for placing the bosses on the plate for welding has some play to it, OR it's just slightly off overall. Despite all the arguing and bickering in this thread so far, I think we'll all agree that Honda's build quality and consistency is impeccable, so it's unlikely that there's substantial variance on the alignment of the three holes in the OEM Honda A/C compressor intermediary bracket. Therefore, it's logical to place the blame for this misalignment on how Canton is manufacturing their pan.

For anyone who didn't take the time to ovalize the holes in the aluminum bracket so that the three bolts went through it easily, this sideloading of the mounting bolts COULD induce stresses into the Canton pan at the mounting plate area that eventually result in cracking. It's not just an inconvenience when the bolts don't go through without any resistance.

I believe my second Canton pan cracked and started leaking badly because the fitment of the three bosses for the A/C bracket is off by about 1/16", which caused enough stress on the plate over time to cause it to crack. Obviously, this specific failure would not happen on the Canton pans that don't have the A/C bracket plate/bosses.
Here are the pics of where my pan cracked, after I got it off the car and cleaned it up (the pics I took with the pan still on the car and leaking oil aren't as clear):

And here is documentation of how the positioning of the pan on the bottom of the block + the length of the mounting bosses causes a 1/16" gap between either the bosses and the bracket, or the bracket and the A/C compressor... at least on my S2000. These are pictures I took very recently (last week), during the installation of my pan after it'd been repaired by Canton:

Without shimming that gap, I think the tension created on the welded on plate/bosses on the pan over time caused the cracking in that area. When I first installed the A/C-compatible pan, I was in a hurry to get the job done in time to take the car to Solo Nationals... that gap probably was there before too, but I didn't notice it.

This time, I found a couple washers that were the right size/diameter to fill that gap. I chose to shim the gap between the bracket and the A/C compressor rather than the bracket and the Canton pan simply because it's one less washer this way. The washers I used were actually a little too thin (by a few thousands of an inch; they slipped into the gaps somewhat easily) but I think it's close enough to perfect that there won't be any meaningful tension on the oil pan now.

Here are pics of the repaired areas on my pan after I got it back from Canton.

This is the "before" pic of the T-shaped weld area where oil leaked through a pinhole... there's basically no way to see the defect; it looks fine by eye as well as to the camera, at least to me (I have zero experience with welding):

And this is after being rewelded/replated:

This is the repaired area at the A/C mounting bracket... note that they ground the surface of the pan before welding the plate back on (a little sloppily, IMO) and that there's still visible evidence of one of the cracks (but, so far the pan isn't leaking):

These are closeups where you can see the old crack:

And this the area on the inside of the pan, right behind where that crack is... you can see how the metal was pulled and deformed:

I'll report back after I've tracked the car again, good or bad, but it'll probably be late April or May before I have an opportunity to take my S2000 back to a road course event.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:04 AM

Good pics. Now I know what to look for when we pull my pan to inspect it. Especially the A/C bracket. I'll make sure Jeff see's these pics so he can bring it up with the guys at Canton.

Dave
Old 01-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are excellent pictures.

Looks like the main problem is with the accuracy of the AC bracket on the Canton pan.

Completely agree that lack of support and presence of side loading cracked the pan.

Not a failure of the pan-per-se, but in the accuracy of the AC bracket holes.

Most pans subjected to that kind of torque arm and force would be damaged.

I'm thinking that the "off" even though you didn't hit anything with the pan directly, was enough of an impact that it could have caused a big stress and load on the pan.

To be clear, I think the root cause of the failure is the fitment of the bracket (not the construction of the pan per se).

Has anyone else noticed the fitment issue? If so, we should send Canton a new AC bracket to model.

And I totally agree. Always try to avoid unsupported stress points on something that's going to see lots of vibration.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks to me that the crack is due to the loading of the serpentine belt on the ac pulley. The belt tension cantilever at that distance should create quite a bit of force on the rear mounting bolt. And since the 12 gauge ac mounting plate is welded to very thin steel sheet that can flex, there would be a stress zone where the two plates overlap near the rear most corner. The crack location and orientation indicates that the bottom most mount bung was trying to pull up and away from the oil pan, in exactly the direction that the belt is pulling. Does anybody know, is the pan made from 16 or 18 gauge steel? I believe the hole misalignment could be making things worse, but I dont think it is the main reason for the failure.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

i only bolted in 2 bolts for the ac, i wonder if that will make it better or worse?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
i only bolted in 2 bolts for the ac, i wonder if that will make it better or worse?
I got nothin' for ya, sorry.

Originally Posted by Alloy Craft
Looks to me that the crack is due to the loading of the serpentine belt on the ac pulley. The belt tension cantilever at that distance should create quite a bit of force on the rear mounting bolt. And since the 12 gauge ac mounting plate is welded to very thin steel sheet that can flex, there would be a stress zone where the two plates overlap near the rear most corner. The crack location and orientation indicates that the bottom most mount bung was trying to pull up and away from the oil pan, in exactly the direction that the belt is pulling.
Your theory seems sound to me. There is another (distant) possibility: that the tip of the bottom-most mounting bolt for the A/C compressor bracket bottomed out slightly in the boss when I torqued it down, and this applied pressure to the mounting plate, which eventually cracked the welds around that boss.

This time, I also put washers under the heads of those three bolts and screwed them in by hand to make sure they weren't bottoming out before I started torquing them down... you can see one of the washers in the pic below:

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here