S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 01-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
not sure if serious or not so im gonna go back to my garage and see if its leaking on me yet lol

i just dumped 5 qt into her to now that the rtv has had time to cure, fingers crossed for no leaks
Remember..... 6.5 qts
Old 01-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
YamahaSH0.... Catch a clue. Ifthe forum moderator (ckit) is getting pissed off at you, take heed.
Cute... I really hope you're not this clueless in real life. I'm sorry the pan is not up to the quality of today's standards. I'm sorry you're too attached to actually acknowledge it. I'll be waiting for another failed weld to surface, because it will.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
YamahaSH0.... Catch a clue. Ifthe forum moderator (ckit) is getting pissed off at you, take heed.
Hey, shut it. You're at least as bad. Seriously, it's like a couple of 10 year olds bickering.

Nyaaah nyaaah isn't the mature response here.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If people in this thread ever go to a track day together...

Some will be men, most will be girls.ha
Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1420680023' post='23460115
Can you please contact KillerB to make one for the S2000? KthxBye.
Already planned on sending them this thread.
Please let me know when they start production. There are 10s of thousands of Impreza/WRX/STI/Foresters for that other pan.
I would expect them to charge more for a low production model.

In terms of "expectation" and "modern" pan, it falls on deaf ears if there isn't an available alternative. Everything else is just speculation and speculation isn't going to help your engine on track. I used it last year and it was fine. I am listening to all the criticism and feedback that people are talking about. I think david is being overzealous and over invested as well.

I personally plan on having the pan removed in the next year or two to have it inspected and any welds needed to be touched up, touched up. Might have more baffling put on it or just run an oil cooler. It's just not a big deal. Stuff takes maintenance. Because racecar. And if there isn't an alternative, there isn't an alternative.

So if there is an alternative that is available, cheaper and better quality, I'm all for it. Until that point, it's just speculation and conjecture.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1420682427' post='23460176
Hey, shut it. You're at least as bad. Seriously, it's like a couple of 10 year olds bickering.

Nyaaah nyaaah isn't the mature response here.
You're right. I didn't actually mean it to be a na na na thing. I was trying to be serious, but, things don't always come out right if they aren't verbalized. So, I deleted the post. Apologies.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1420681233' post='23460141
[quote name='CKit' timestamp='1420680023' post='23460115']
Can you please contact KillerB to make one for the S2000? KthxBye.
Already planned on sending them this thread.
Please let me know when they start production. There are 10s of thousands of Impreza/WRX/STI/Foresters for that other pan.
I would expect them to charge more for a low production model.

In terms of "expectation" and "modern" pan, it falls on deaf ears if there isn't an available alternative. Everything else is just speculation and speculation isn't going to help your engine on track. I used it last year and it was fine. I am listening to all the criticism and feedback that people are talking about. I think david is being overzealous and over invested as well.

I personally plan on having the pan removed in the next year or two to have it inspected and any welds needed to be touched up, touched up. Might have more baffling put on it or just run an oil cooler. It's just not a big deal. Stuff takes maintenance. Because racecar. And if there isn't an alternative, there isn't an alternative.

So if there is an alternative that is available, cheaper and better quality, I'm all for it. Until that point, it's just speculation and conjecture.
[/quote]

I realize there are far more applicable Subaru's for said oil pan, however, it's not really a high selling item. It generally falls on people who have really, really spent some money on their motor. After building my motor, I'm still on the stock pan, however, I did install the KillerB pickup tube and windage tray. I've also been vested in low production cars prior to this... With much lower aftermarket, but I still strived for perfection: http://idcarofthemonth.blogspot.com/

Hell, maybe Robert Thorne would be interested in building a pan at 3R (I think I might sent him a text message). I've seen a lot of his one-off items and they're fantastically built.

With that said, there are actually alternatives... They may not incorporate trap doors, but still alternatives. KillerB specifically elected not to use trap doors in their pan for fear of failure. I'd venture to say that the real problem with the previous offerings is the potential of weld failure. Additionally, some are expensive for a bolt-in plate. I am also interested in seeing how this performs. I'll admit, I expected this to be the end-all of S2000 pans, but I was disappointed. I would pay more for a more well-rounded pan.

I have already sent a message over to KillerB. I doubt he'd be interested, but worth a shot. I'd pay for a pan built as well as the WRX/STi pan.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be interested to hear what corrective actions and manufacturing process changes Canton has implemented in light of our findings.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I realize there are far more applicable Subaru's for said oil pan, however, it's not really a high selling item. It generally falls on people who have really, really spent some money on their motor. After building my motor, I'm still on the stock pan, however, I did install the KillerB pickup tube and windage tray. I've also been vested in low production cars prior to this... With much lower aftermarket, but I still strived for perfection: http://idcarofthemonth.blogspot.com/

Hell, maybe Robert Thorne would be interested in building a pan at 3R (I think I might sent him a text message). I've seen a lot of his one-off items and they're fantastically built.

With that said, there are actually alternatives... They may not incorporate trap doors, but still alternatives. KillerB specifically elected not to use trap doors in their pan for fear of failure. I'd venture to say that the real problem with the previous offerings is the potential of weld failure. Additionally, some are expensive for a bolt-in plate. I am also interested in seeing how this performs. I'll admit, I expected this to be the end-all of S2000 pans, but I was disappointed. I would pay more for a more well-rounded pan.

I have already sent a message over to KillerB. I doubt he'd be interested, but worth a shot. I'd pay for a pan built as well as the WRX/STi pan.
Sounds good, keep us posted.

I ran baffled plates in my engines for years. I never trusted anyone's welds so I had LJ at Full Blown do them for me and be extra meticulous about the cleaning, prep and being more thorough with the welds. And I still would wind up having them checked every few years. So it's not much different for me either way.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

But seriously. We get it. We're warned. You've saved humanity. You'll go to S2000 Heaven and Soichiro Honda will have you sit at his private table.

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here