S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
For what it is worth, I was pretty satisfied with the pan. If you want to see a piece of crap, you should see the homemade job I'm using on my MGA.

I wasn't satisfied with the flywheel cover since it didn't fit the AP2. But I just made my own part. I'm not satisfied with that either, so in time I will make another. And keep in mind, I'm just a guy driving around a track - a pretend racer - and certainly not a mechanic or metal guy.

At the end of the season, I found that my pan was leaking a bit. In my rush to install, I probably did not let the sealant set properly. So I just retightened the bolts and will check again in the spring. If necessary, I will pull the pan, reseal and reinstall. No big deal.

I guess I'm just not judgmental enough to complain. I mean we were dealing with a prototype of sorts when we bought these pans. And we were doing that, not only for ourselves, but also to get this type of device to the market.

In all honesty, I probably don't drive my car hard enough to actually need the pan. But what the hay. I was just trying to do my part for the sport.

My friend just bought the pan. He actually races and is competitive. As far as I'm concerned, he made a wise decision. But I had nothing to do with it.
I understand the prototype part of it, however, things like welds, structural support, flanges, etc. should already be understood. I am glad you're happy with your pan... Just like most things people rate, if it didn't break, it must be awesome, right?

So as far as I'm concerned, David did us all a service. If the pan saves just one motor, it may be yours or mine. If the pan doesn't save your motor, so what. You're out $500. Maybe two weeks pay out of a lifetime?
The big picture is lost here... The motor failing is also going to incur the cost of new motor. The major reason people wanted this pan is because previous solutions broke off inside the pan, killing the motor. Leaking oil from poor welds and flanges isn't exactly desirable to people driving on track. Using lots of sealant isn't always a great fix either. The more you use, the more likely it is you'll have some let loose in the pan.

$500, 2-week paycheck? I don't really see high school kids buying this product.

The original pan wasn't going to save your motor either.
Eh... I've got buddies on this forum that ran the stock pan for years breaking track records without failure on the stock pan. Hell, the stock pan fits, cools better, and doesn't have anything that's going to break off in the motor.

I watched KillerB develop a pan and pickup tube for the 2.5L WRX/STi, which is not something they specialize in. They also far exceed OEM and prevent known issues, and the quality is significantly better.

http://killerbmotorsport.com/index_f...imalOilPan.htm

http://killerbmotorsport.com/index_f...teOiPickup.htm
Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1420574357' post='23458400
YamahaSH0.... Why don't you just ask for a refund?
Attention to detail goes a long way. Just like there is no zero in my screen name.

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO'
I haven't decided what I am going to do with my pan yet. When it starts warming up, I'll start thinking about it more.

[quote name='markhs2;23458401]Thanks for pointing out my spelling error.
I corrected it.
Sadley, that is one of the few objective, factual observations devoid of opinion, assumtions and innuendo I've seen here.
Then you're not paying attention. I figured more 'racers' would understand the severity here.
[/quote]

I used the wrong version of the word "their". I typed "there" by accident. Thank you for not pointing it out.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1420564276' post='23458155
You childishly trying to have the last word in everything, despite having nothing of value to add isn't a step in the right direction no matter how you look at it. Let it go... Let Canton handle it without the annoying middle-man.
Sorry, I couldn't resist..

lol...that was really good.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Any normal racer would just fix the damn problem him/herself and move on with life.

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Warranty disclaimer:
https://www.cantonra...e/warranty.html

Here is the link for people that don't like their pan:
https://www.s2ki.com/...s-and-for-sale/

Here is the link if you have a problem with the pan:
https://www.cantonra...contact_us.html

For everyone else:
https://www.youtube....h?v=WL1lfSzgcAw
Excellent. Good info.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:09 PM

For what it is worth, I was pretty satisfied with the pan. If you want to see a piece of crap, you should see the homemade job I'm using on my MGA.

I wasn't satisfied with the flywheel cover since it didn't fit the AP2. But I just made my own part. I'm not satisfied with that either, so in time I will make another. And keep in mind, I'm just a guy driving around a track - a pretend racer - and certainly not a mechanic or metal guy.

At the end of the season, I found that my pan was leaking a bit. In my rush to install, I probably did not let the sealant set properly. So I just retightened the bolts and will check again in the spring. If necessary, I will pull the pan, reseal and reinstall. No big deal.

I guess I'm just not judgmental enough to complain. I mean we were dealing with a prototype of sorts when we bought these pans. And we were doing that, not only for ourselves, but also to get this type of device to the market.

In all honesty, I probably don't drive my car hard enough to actually need the pan. But what the hay. I was just trying to do my part for the sport.

My friend just bought the pan. He actually races and is competitive. As far as I'm concerned, he made a wise decision. But I had nothing to do with it.

So as far as I'm concerned, David did us all a service. If the pan saves just one motor, it may be yours or mine. If the pan doesn't save your motor, so what. You're out $500. Maybe two weeks pay out of a lifetime? The original pan wasn't going to save your motor either.
Thanks...good points.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:13 PM

yamahash0o:

Perusing back through the thread it suddenly struck me that you may not be happy with your Canton oil pan.

So, I was thinking about getting another S2k just for the track. Seeing as your's is still new and you haven't put it on or returned it for a refund, I thought you might like to sell it.

"Getting things "fixed" is fine and dandy, but there is a high rate of flawed build quality with this pan."

"commented on this damn pan"

"post back trying to overlook the build quality, the more I'm going to hit that subject. Keep fueling the fire, d00d. You see, it's working so well. "

"considering this pan further take a look into what I am pointing out "

"high rate of poor product (just looking at this pan alone)."

"consistently make flanges that are not flat"

"I was certainly expecting better here"

"I finally got tired of seeing so many issues on this pan."

"I come from a background where things like this overlooked could cost people their lives down the line,"

"his could eventually cost you and engine in the long term. The broken weld was only on a season, if that. How is it going to hold up several seasons later?"

"I haven't decided what I am going to do with my pan yet"

"Then you're not paying attention. I figured more 'racers' would understand the severity here. "

"(terrible bead, welding wire still attached) shouldn't come out the fabrication shop like that"

"It seems, to me, like the guys building don't care or have the type of perfection I would expect from paying for a product such as this."

"As for the flanges... It's 2015, there has to be a better process"

"just from what I've seen on these pans alone, I question the quality out of these pans all together. "

"seeing all these blatant quality control issues, you have to wonder what else it going to fail"

"I looked over my pan last night more closely in light of other's issues and I can certainly see areas that might be cause for concern. "

"I'm not sure if I want to put it on and haven't been sure for awhile now."

"The same tray that had caused some people fitment issues clearing the pickup"

"She ain't straight. "

"this is only going to be a shit-storm to which you cannot solve"

"I don't get it... This is what Canton does. Why don't they do it well?"

"I know how it should be designed, however, I was questioning the Canton design. I am thoroughly disappointed!"

"This is very disappointing. I'm a bit hesitant to install mine even more now."

""It looks terrible "

"Time is not something I have to waste, except when it comes to typing"

"wouldn't get too spun up on what I'm saying, it's just my assessment on the product."

"There's no doubt here; there's a lot of room for improvement in their quality"

"Hell, the stock pan fits, cools better, and doesn't have anything that's going to break off in the motor."

"The major reason people wanted this pan is because previous solutions broke off inside the pan, killing the motor. (not correct, had almost nothing to do with it)"
Old 01-07-2015, 04:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm content with my pan. And it did have to be remounted due to leak.

Making street cars into race cars always has teething pains.
This is par for the course. If I wanted bulletproof, I would have had my shop reinforce welds prior to install. It passed my sniff test and I was fine with it as is.

It's still cheaper and less hassle than having a one-off custom pan made.

I'm still thankful that the pan was made. I think fatigue points and failure patterns are important to note, so I am thankful that YamahaSHO is pointing them out so we have it on our radar. But it is more factual of what I need to watch for rather than "zomg! It's a POS, hide your children, hide your wife."

In all things, I ask myself "what is the realistic alternative" and "what can I do to make the situation better." It has served me well over the years.

The Canton pan is not perfect and there is real world beta testing that went on. If I had very high standards, I would not have purchased on the first wave. The information that is being put out seems like it is being heard so that the subsequent iterations can be done better (but without the first wave discount). I don't have any problems with that. It's a good product, especially at the price point. It's not going to be OEM and stuff is coming up that can use addressing. Thankfully, the company is willing to address it for future design. That is reasonably all I can ask for in a new product.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic' timestamp='1420600458' post='23458851
Any normal racer would just fix the damn problem him/herself and move on with life.
Hopefully before the problem found is an oil starved motor. That one might sting a little. There's no doubt here; there's a lot of room for improvement in their quality. After looking at my pan a little bit tonight, I bet we see more breaks where Mike's broke.

Based on the links posted, Mike is actually out of warranty.
Part of cars...

Old 01-07-2015, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by CKit
I'm content with my pan. And it did have to be remounted due to leak.

Making street cars into race cars always has teething pains.
This is par for the course. If I wanted bulletproof, I would have had my shop reinforce welds prior to install. It passed my sniff test and I was fine with it as is.

It's still cheaper and less hassle than having a one-off custom pan made.

I'm still thankful that the pan was made. I think fatigue points and failure patterns are important to note, so I am thankful that YamahaSHO is pointing them out so we have it on our radar. But it is more factual of what I need to watch for rather than "zomg! It's a POS, hide your children, hide your wife."

In all things, I ask myself "what is the realistic alternative" and "what can I do to make the situation better." It has served me well over the years.

The Canton pan is not perfect and there is real world beta testing that went on. If I had very high standards, I would not have purchased on the first wave. The information that is being put out seems like it is being heard so that the subsequent iterations can be done better (but without the first wave discount). I don't have any problems with that. It's a good product, especially at the price point. It's not going to be OEM and stuff is coming up that can use addressing. Thankfully, the company is willing to address it for future design. That is reasonably all I can ask for in a new product.
Agreed. As the moderator of this forum, you are always the voice of objective reasonability and calmness, which comes from a lot of experience with racing and race cars. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
"zomg! It's a POS, hide your children, hide your wife."

Couldn't resist again.. And I concur w/ CKit's thoughts, that's exactly how I feel.

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here