S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hondalovr13
i have not contacted canton yet, i just found it this weekend. im curious as to what they would even do. are they gonna want me to ship it to them so they can fix it and ship it back? i can just as easily fix it myself.
I don't know what they would do but this is a serious problem and the reason people went with this pan instead of having baffles welded on the stock pan. I heard a bunch of stories how the OEM alloy pan was hard to weld, etc. If Canton gives a crap they should pay for you to send it to them so they could analyzed the weld problem and find out what went wrong so it doesn't happen again. Maybe give you some credit toward future product? I know racing equipment doesn't have explicit warranties but this should be taken serious by them.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My welds

Name:  IMAG0482_zpsa1d2e3a8.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  59.7 KB
Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Embarrassing...
Old 01-05-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

yeah thats shoddy, you should contact canton and have them replace it
Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Guys,

As in the past when we were getting this going before and after production started, I contacted Jeff at Canton about the guys in the last few days who's mentioned issues. I've also contacted by PM the posters personally. There is one guy I would still like to contact though; so YamahaSHO, if you could put in contact with the other friend of your's you mentioned that hasn't posted yet, I'd like to contact him as well.

What follow's is Jeff's reply. As usual, he is more than willing to help. After you read his reply to me, I've written some thoughts of my own that are not his, nor were shared with him before I've posted it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Jeff at Canton:

I thumbed through the thread the best I could to find the relevant posts that I could respond to. Unfortunately its advertising contract season so my time is limited at the moment. However, I don't want to be too brief about the issue and make it seem like i'm ignoring it.

As for the guys that are concerned with the pan not being completely flat, we have a flat table that the pans get put on to make sure they are within 1/16th of an inch The amount of welding around the pan would make it extremely difficult to get the rail completely straight. As long as the sealing surfaces were cleaned well, the hondabond/sealer was applied fairly liberally and the bolts were put on from the inside going out to the ends and the proper time was allowed to let the sealer set there shouldn't be any issues with sealing. Is it the easiest thing to do? No, but that's the nature of sealing an oil pan in any application. Unfortunately I think a few guys posting that they had issues (davidc1 says: even though the sealing issues were resolved) makes everyone else think right off the bat that they will have issues and don't give the proper effort in sealing it.

As for the guy that posted that people always have issues with our products, (davidc1 says: this is the guy who made a quick post about seeing other bad stuff in a google search ) A generic search of just about any companies issues is gonna pull something up. No company has a perfect track record and if a company has pulled that off they probably haven't been around that long. We have had a few pan issues throughout the years that still float around on the internet. Quite a few of those are because of the way the pan has to be built not because of our quality. With those issues even our competitors have issues with the products. The first one that comes to mind is our 13-672sv Drag racing oil pan. The motor that pan goes on has four bolt main caps so we can't use a traditional core to build off of. This means we have to fabricate a round seal for the main seal and it has proven to be a difficult pan to get to seal because of that. We have the same issues as Moroso and Milodon with that pan but we do a good job of making sure to support the customers that buy those pans the best we can. I'm also sure there were quality issues here and there. When you have turnover at any position it takes a while to get in a groove. Our tech guy Bob (davidc1 says: one of the nicest company on the phone reps I've ever dealt with. The guy actually took a call of mine on his day off on a Sunday when I was at the track and had an issue with my Accusump, before the pan was produced) was actually the QC guy before he became our tech adviser. About a year and a half ago he got in an accident and had his spine crushed. While he was dealing with that our CNC machinist had to QC and it took him a little while to get acclimated and figure out everything he needed to be checking and watching for. Is this an excuse for poor quality? Not in the least, but we work really hard with customers that contact us to try and get everything resolved. (davidc1 says: you gotta contact a company for them to fix something)

As for the guy with the crappy weld. (davidc1 says: not sure if he is referring to the broken internal weld, or 99sh's weld, or both )I check as many of the pans as I could considering that I have to be in the office to answer phones and have other stuff going on. I did pull a few pans that I thought were borderline on the quality end but none of them had any issues with that part. I would need a better picture or even better to see the pan in person to get a better understanding of what happened. If he could contact us we would have be able to figure this out better and could address any issues. I'm trying to understand what i'm looking at in the picture that he posted but I'd like to see some other good pics from a different angle to understand it better.

Feel free to post any of this in the thread. I don't think i'm saying anything bad or off color. Also make sure if you post to reiterate that we can't help anyone that doesn't contact us.

Thanks for the heads up,
Jeff

A couple hours later after Jeff looked at the pics of the internal broken weld and the bad looking weld, he emailed me this to post up:

Dave,
The broken internal weld is a legitimate issue for that guy. Chances are he had some intense engine harmonics and probably some extremely solid motor mounts and it broke. While it is concerning that the weld broke, the way we design those trays is so that if they do break they are still attached to the tray so that no pieces end up floating around in the pan. Further than that had a piece broken off the trap doors would have most likely prevented it from even getting to the pickup. However, we would take that back and warranty it if that guy had contacted us.

The weld breaking off on the curved area of the pan is completely perplexing to me. That isn't a stress point of the pan and is really just like that because of how the block is designed. That would be a pan that we would want to get back to try and figure out what could have gone wrong and why. Again, please have them contact me.

Jeff<br clear="all">

Dave here: these feelings are my own and I haven't mentioned anything to Jeff about what I'm saying.

The internet is a powerful tool. Probably one of the most powerful things to influence people in the world. The internet has made it so that throughout all history, people who have never had an inkling of power to influence people, now have more power than anyone in the world. More power than "the press". But, I know you guys heard this before in school (but I can't remember who in history said it) , "with power comes responsibility". Because the huge amount of power can have far reaching effects. Sort of like Godzilla. A tiny sweep of his tail, no effort on his part, can destroy a city (damn cool analogy if I say so myself).

Story: a couple years ago, I bought some CR shocks/springs from a guy about 1000miles away. The deal he gave me was good and fair. He charged me actual shipping costs, and an extra $35 for the boxes and packing materials he said he had to buy. The springs/shocks arrived in homemade taped together cardboard boxes packed with newspaper. The cost of that was probably about $0. But the first thing I did was contact him to ask for a refund since he obviously didn't use the packing stuff he claimed he purchased. His response was essentially "whatever...it's done, you got your stuff". I looked around the internet on other forums, and there were quite a few people who were very satisfied with buying used stuff from him. And then a couple who weren't really happy. I then contacted him again and gave him a chance to make good before I posted in the buyers satisfaction thread. He didn't make good. So, after trying my best to resolve it, I then posted it up. He ended up getting banned in the long run for this and other things. I gave him a chance to make good, before I made him look bad, because I knew that thousands of people were going to read what I posted.

All I'm getting at here is if you have an issue with a product, first try to contact the company to get it resolved. Once that's done, then post it up, whether it came out good or bad. That's the fair thing for everyone. You gotta remember, people don't read entire threads, they may read only one or two posts and not realize that the issue was resolved well.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

FWIW, the person w/ the broken weld.. While it doesn't give you the warm and fuzzies, it shouldn't result in disaster, as the "plate" is held in place in a few different spots. It's not like it's the only spot where the plate is held on, fortunately. In fact, seeing as how pretty much all parts of the pan are connected, it should keep anything from floating around and blocking the pickup (with the exception of the trap doors of course).
Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Granted that the broken weld didn't result in failure this time, what if it had broken differently or the screw loosened up and let the broken piece loose?

In addition to that, seeing all these blatant quality control issues, you have to wonder what else it going to fail. It would be pretty ironic to have an engine failure from an oil pan that was purchased to prevent these issues. I looked over my pan last night more closely in light of other's issues and I can certainly see areas that might be cause for concern. I'm not sure if I want to put it on and haven't been sure for awhile now.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Granted that the broken weld didn't result in failure this time, what if it had broken differently or the screw loosened up and let the broken piece loose?

In addition to that, seeing all these blatant quality control issues, you have to wonder what else it going to fail. It would be pretty ironic to have an engine failure from an oil pan that was purchased to prevent these issues. I looked over my pan last night more closely in light of other's issues and I can certainly see areas that might be cause for concern. I'm not sure if I want to put it on and haven't been sure for awhile now.
You just don't get it, do you? After everything that was just said, by me, and Jeff, you still have to post up some negative BS just to be up there so everybody can read about you. If you have any issues contact Canton, resolve your issues, get a refund, whatever. But just get it done so we don't have to read your continued negative comments. over the last year, I've actually been PM'd by quite a few people, who tell me to relax because I shouldn't be bothered by all the negative stuff that you have to say. They say some people are just like that and they will never stop.

there right on both counts. I shouldn't let it bother me, and you probably won't stop with the negative comments.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by davidc1
Hey Guys,

As in the past when we were getting this going before and after production started, I contacted Jeff at Canton about the guys in the last few days who's mentioned issues. I've also contacted by PM the posters personally. There is one guy I would still like to contact though; so YamahaSHO, if you could put in contact with the other friend of your's you mentioned that hasn't posted yet, I'd like to contact him as well.

What follow's is Jeff's reply. As usual, he is more than willing to help. After you read his reply to me, I've written some thoughts of my own that are not his, nor were shared with him before I've posted it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Jeff at Canton:

I thumbed through the thread the best I could to find the relevant posts that I could respond to. Unfortunately its advertising contract season so my time is limited at the moment. However, I don't want to be too brief about the issue and make it seem like i'm ignoring it.

As for the guys that are concerned with the pan not being completely flat, we have a flat table that the pans get put on to make sure they are within 1/16th of an inch The amount of welding around the pan would make it extremely difficult to get the rail completely straight. As long as the sealing surfaces were cleaned well, the hondabond/sealer was applied fairly liberally and the bolts were put on from the inside going out to the ends and the proper time was allowed to let the sealer set there shouldn't be any issues with sealing. Is it the easiest thing to do? No, but that's the nature of sealing an oil pan in any application. Unfortunately I think a few guys posting that they had issues (davidc1 says: even though the sealing issues were resolved) makes everyone else think right off the bat that they will have issues and don't give the proper effort in sealing it.

As for the guy that posted that people always have issues with our products, (davidc1 says: this is the guy who made a quick post about seeing other bad stuff in a google search ) A generic search of just about any companies issues is gonna pull something up. No company has a perfect track record and if a company has pulled that off they probably haven't been around that long. We have had a few pan issues throughout the years that still float around on the internet. Quite a few of those are because of the way the pan has to be built not because of our quality. With those issues even our competitors have issues with the products. The first one that comes to mind is our 13-672sv Drag racing oil pan. The motor that pan goes on has four bolt main caps so we can't use a traditional core to build off of. This means we have to fabricate a round seal for the main seal and it has proven to be a difficult pan to get to seal because of that. We have the same issues as Moroso and Milodon with that pan but we do a good job of making sure to support the customers that buy those pans the best we can. I'm also sure there were quality issues here and there. When you have turnover at any position it takes a while to get in a groove. Our tech guy Bob (davidc1 says: one of the nicest company on the phone reps I've ever dealt with. The guy actually took a call of mine on his day off on a Sunday when I was at the track and had an issue with my Accusump, before the pan was produced) was actually the QC guy before he became our tech adviser. About a year and a half ago he got in an accident and had his spine crushed. While he was dealing with that our CNC machinist had to QC and it took him a little while to get acclimated and figure out everything he needed to be checking and watching for. Is this an excuse for poor quality? Not in the least, but we work really hard with customers that contact us to try and get everything resolved. (davidc1 says: you gotta contact a company for them to fix something)

As for the guy with the crappy weld. (davidc1 says: not sure if he is referring to the broken internal weld, or 99sh's weld, or both )I check as many of the pans as I could considering that I have to be in the office to answer phones and have other stuff going on. I did pull a few pans that I thought were borderline on the quality end but none of them had any issues with that part. I would need a better picture or even better to see the pan in person to get a better understanding of what happened. If he could contact us we would have be able to figure this out better and could address any issues. I'm trying to understand what i'm looking at in the picture that he posted but I'd like to see some other good pics from a different angle to understand it better.

Feel free to post any of this in the thread. I don't think i'm saying anything bad or off color. Also make sure if you post to reiterate that we can't help anyone that doesn't contact us.

Thanks for the heads up,
Jeff

A couple hours later after Jeff looked at the pics of the internal broken weld and the bad looking weld, he emailed me this to post up:

Dave,
The broken internal weld is a legitimate issue for that guy. Chances are he had some intense engine harmonics and probably some extremely solid motor mounts and it broke. While it is concerning that the weld broke, the way we design those trays is so that if they do break they are still attached to the tray so that no pieces end up floating around in the pan. Further than that had a piece broken off the trap doors would have most likely prevented it from even getting to the pickup. However, we would take that back and warranty it if that guy had contacted us.

The weld breaking off on the curved area of the pan is completely perplexing to me. That isn't a stress point of the pan and is really just like that because of how the block is designed. That would be a pan that we would want to get back to try and figure out what could have gone wrong and why. Again, please have them contact me.

Jeff<br clear="all">

Dave here: these feelings are my own and I haven't mentioned anything to Jeff about what I'm saying.

The internet is a powerful tool. Probably one of the most powerful things to influence people in the world. The internet has made it so that throughout all history, people who have never had an inkling of power to influence people, now have more power than anyone in the world. More power than "the press". But, I know you guys heard this before in school (but I can't remember who in history said it) , "with power comes responsibility". Because the huge amount of power can have far reaching effects. Sort of like Godzilla. A tiny sweep of his tail, no effort on his part, can destroy a city (damn cool analogy if I say so myself).

Story: a couple years ago, I bought some CR shocks/springs from a guy about 1000miles away. The deal he gave me was good and fair. He charged me actual shipping costs, and an extra $35 for the boxes and packing materials he said he had to buy. The springs/shocks arrived in homemade taped together cardboard boxes packed with newspaper. The cost of that was probably about $0. But the first thing I did was contact him to ask for a refund since he obviously didn't use the packing stuff he claimed he purchased. His response was essentially "whatever...it's done, you got your stuff". I looked around the internet on other forums, and there were quite a few people who were very satisfied with buying used stuff from him. And then a couple who weren't really happy. I then contacted him again and gave him a chance to make good before I posted in the buyers satisfaction thread. He didn't make good. So, after trying my best to resolve it, I then posted it up. He ended up getting banned in the long run for this and other things. I gave him a chance to make good, before I made him look bad, because I knew that thousands of people were going to read what I posted.

All I'm getting at here is if you have an issue with a product, first try to contact the company to get it resolved. Once that's done, then post it up, whether it came out good or bad. That's the fair thing for everyone. You gotta remember, people don't read entire threads, they may read only one or two posts and not realize that the issue was resolved well.

I'll pass on the information to him.

As far as the quote from Canton, things like what 99SH posted (terrible bead, welding wire still attached) shouldn't come out the fabrication shop like that. It seems, to me, like the guys building don't care or have the type of perfection I would expect from paying for a product such as this.

As for the flanges... It's 2015, there has to be a better process, even if it is just using thick flanges and milling them down after the pan is complete.

I agree with contacting the company about issues, however, just from what I've seen on these pans alone, I question the quality out of these pans all together.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

You just don't get it, do you? After everything that was just said, by me, and Jeff, you still have to post up some negative BS just to be up there so everybody can read about you.
Remember that post where I said you're not going to solve the quality control issue and it would turn into a shit fest if you injected yourself into it? I called it.

You childishly trying to have the last word in everything, despite having nothing of value to add isn't a step in the right direction no matter how you look at it. Let it go... Let Canton handle it without the annoying middle-man.

If you have any issues contact Canton, resolve your issues, get a refund, whatever. But just get it done so we don't have to read your continued negative comments. over the last year, I've actually been PM'd by quite a few people, who tell me to relax because I shouldn't be bothered by all the negative stuff that you have to say. They say some people are just like that and they will never stop.

there right on both counts. I shouldn't let it bother me, and you probably won't stop with the negative comments.

The quality is not good. It should be shared. These are serious issues and is something I expect better from a company that "specializes" in this sort of thing. Or maybe I'm just used to that sort of thing from other aftermarket parts manufacturers in this day and age.

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here