S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Saner bars lol
Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 708 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1404693339' post='23232301

This is a really important point guys. The big picture of manufactures willing to take risks in making performance parts for cars is nothing to take lightly. If you ever wondered why "how come no manufacturer has made a part for Car X, it seems simple, it can't be that big a deal...well, it really is!"

Manufacturers look at the risks involved, how much it will cost, will it work for everyone, how can we test it, and how are we going to get bashed if something doesn't work perfectly? One little problem for one part on some cars but not others, can cost manufacturers huge amounts of money for all the other products they sell.

People really don't understand how much damage they can do by just posting up stuff like that. As you've seen on the forum there are now several guys that are not going to put their pans on now. What this does is makes manufacturers less than excited to venture into new markets. The power of social media has just exploded in recent years, for good and bad. We must be responsible in how we use it, if in the end run, we want these products to come out.
Back a few years ago, there was a product that was designed for the S2000 by one vendor/manufacture. They closed for unrelated reasons and another company took on the product. They had the engineering CAD drawings of the design and found a new manufacture to product them. This company took pre-orders as there was a high demand for the product that had been the building since the initial vendor closed. The manufacture made a few last minute changes to the design to cut costs. This was a large, heavy product. So the product was shipped to the pre-order customer. Next all of the customer got their item, and fitment was not good. In fact they did not fit at all. So the vendor had to eat the return shipping on each returned item, and the cost of shipping to deliver new part. This was enough cost that the vendor ended up going out of business. It is unknown if this was a the root cause or just the last straw.

Can anyone name the vendor and/org the product above?
I know this story, the infamous go fast labs roll bar.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand folks are wanting a completely bolt-on part, but modifications/turbocharging/etc will always require some adjustment. A roll bar instance should always be built specifically for the person driving the car.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey all, I'm hoping to be at Buttonwillow this Sunday the 27th.

If any of you are going to be there, please walk up and say hello. It would be nice to put some faces to the posts. Thanks again everyone for all your support.

Look for a 53 year old guy driving an Apex Blue "Type S". (That's a soft-top with CR suspension and aero).
Old 07-26-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
2004 AP-2: Stock engine, flywheel and transmission.

Just returned from two track days, so haven't read all the posts.

I installed the oil pan over the 4th of July weekend. Car up on jackstands and me on the floor on my back at a weekend place with not many tools. I decided not to use the stock windage tray, so that was not an issue. I was able to get the pan to fit, although it was a tight fit. Had to put the pan on the floor jack, and carefully jack it into position. No modifications needed.

Flywheel cover did not fit, even closely. I gave up and fabricated a cover from a piece of steel roofing (24 gauge???) that was up there. Used a saber saw, a drill and a mill file to smooth out the edges. Pretty crude, but did the basic job. Made all the cuts when flat, and folded as necessary. Had to have a double second bend near the middle to clear the center section of the flywheel - and ears to bend around to close the gap in that section. Wings to cover the bottom of the engine - although I didn't do a great job on those.

Edit: Another remark: I felt that the lip of the pan extended too close to the flywheel for the supplied flywheel cover to fit adjacent to the lip, i.e., between the lip and the flywheel. On the cover that I made, I notched out the cover so that it sits on top of (i.e., below, when viewed from the bottom) the oil pan lip. The flywheel cover that was supplied was about 1/4 inch thick. The material that I used was perhaps 1/16th inch thick. I used the same 4 bolt layout and it seemed tight and sturdy enough for my purposes. Two days on track and no sense of any harmonic vibration. I admit that I did not test the cover out in the gravel trap at the end of Turn 8.

Edit: By the way, for reasons unknown, I felt much better at the track knowing that I had the baffled pan - even though my driving probably doesn't justify it. Oil starvation now just one less thing to worry about.
Weird. My flywheel cover is about 1/16in thick. Installing the pan today.

Buttonwillow tomorrow. Come say hello. Apex Blue soft top.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My pan leaks, not flat.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
My pan leaks, not flat.
You check the pan rail w/ a straight edge? Curious how off it is..
Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine leaked from the right rear and had to re-RTV/reinstall. Turns out I had some oil on the surface which contaminated the seal.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1406736956' post='23266011
My pan leaks, not flat.
You check the pan rail w/ a straight edge? Curious how off it is..
Anymore details on this? Remedy/fixes?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian300D
Slightly bore out 7 holes on oil pan ( and when I say slightly I mean you almost can't tell).
Which ones?

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here