S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
They have always been fine for me.
I guess I've got a weird shaped head, the only large or extra larges that were comfortable for me, and I tried about 6 brands, were Simpson and Bell.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No sides for me really. I am a pretty cut and dry person.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Easy way to tell if the pan is the issue or different castings/parts/etc. Cross-reference part numbers. I'm more prone to go with the pan being off and not the Honda part. Just like the one-piece and it being off causing the pan to be useless. Honda made a pretty good piece to set up a jig to, IMHO.

I've purchased countless "race" parts through the years... Many of them fit just fine.

I have not desire to pull the OEM pan with a good chance of having to put it back on. Time is not something I have to waste.
I'm hesitant to respond because this is just the thing I was trying to make clear regarding comments made...but I have to make sure you know everything that could be done was done.

Yes, that's the first thing you look at. Done and done...and done again. Pickup head, pan, clutch case, transmission case and windage tray...all the same part numbers.

This isn't just "any" race part. It's the first off of a product nobody else in the world has attempted to make. Little things happen.

And why do you think you have a "good" chance of having to put the OEM pan back on, when nobody else has had to, and the only mod anyone has had to do it with some tin snips? And that was two people? At this point I'd say you have a 28 to 1 chance of nothing happening. As far as time goes, if you want to wait to see if something else pops up, that's cool.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
I meant I am going to wait and make sure no motors are lost with the new pan(anyone want to go hit some corners where you lost one previously???? ) and hopefully by then we will have nice step by step guide with what exactly needs to be done to fit such "if you got an ap1 do this", "if you got a different flywheel do this"
Its my only car, I cant hope to figure it out as I go, ya know?
I understand if you want to wait to see when more people put it on to make sure when you do it goes as smooth as possible, but to be honest, your comment, even if you meant it "innocently" waiting to make sure no motors are lost with the new pan, is the sort of comment that freaks out manufactures from wanting to make new products. This is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
I'm hesitant to respond because this is just the thing I was trying to make clear regarding comments made...but I have to make sure you know everything that could be done was done.

Yes, that's the first thing you look at. Done and done...and done again. Pickup head, pan, clutch case, transmission case and windage tray...all the same part numbers.

This isn't just "any" race part. It's the first off of a product nobody else in the world has attempted to make. Little things happen.
It's clear that I have my feelings on the part, but I've been through these types of deals before and understand the process. I make my assessments based on what I am seeing and they are my assessments. I realize this was a new part, but it's not a new game for Canton. I am going to hang onto the pan, however, I'm going to see how the rest of the batch goes over time.

And why do you think you have a "good" chance of having to put the OEM pan back on, when nobody else has had to, and the only mod anyone has had to do it with some tin snips? And that was two people? At this point I'd say you have a 28 to 1 chance of nothing happening. As far as time goes, if you want to wait to see if something else pops up, that's cool.

This one is quite easy. If you look back a page or so, you'll where more than a slight modification had to be done to a pan to get it to fit. When I buy parts like this, I generally expect them to fit. Did each pan get tested on a block after it was 100% complete? I ask as I thought I read one or two people had to open up holes on the flange. I'm also willing to bet the reference pan that was modified to fit quite extensively would have had the same ill-fitment on any other S2000.

I wouldn't get too spun up on what I'm saying, it's just my assessment on the product.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was initially going to wait being wary about being a beta tester. But when I found out Josserman was using his on track already I had my shop put it on.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
I was initially going to wait being wary about being a beta tester. But when I found out Josserman was using his on track already I had my shop put it on.
And I'm assuming no fitment problems. Thank you.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I wouldn't get too spun up on what I'm saying, it's just my assessment on the product.
Are you not reading what I am writing? Yes, each pan was tested for fitment on the one block they had. And I've listed every mod that had to be done. Why rehash what has been discussed. Just wait as long as you want, and get back to us when you decide to put it on.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, I am reading, however, I can also make my own assumptions when something does not fit, ESPECIALLY something such as the flange.

You're getting upset; You're not going to change my thoughts on the product. I will let time tell it's true worth and whether or not it's enough to make me want to undergo a potential PITA install.

This isn't my first rodeo.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I see your point guys, but honestly, there was nothing else Canton could have done in test fitting. Nobody else volunteered to send a block, send a tranny, or drive a car to their facilities. I'm sure if Canton was in SoCal, a dozen or more guys would have drove their cars their and they would have happily test fitted everything on AP1's, AP2's, with and with stock clutches and flywheels and whatever else you can think of.
All good Dave, it was just a comment, not necessarily too serious. I think you're looking into what people are saying about the pan a little too much. If people don't want to install their pan right away, I'm sure they have their reasons. There's nothing wrong w/ waiting a little bit for more info to trickle out. No one's saying the pan is a dud or isn't happy that a pan exists, just that there are minor quibbles.. which is to be expected.

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here