S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Camber vs tire temps

Old 06-05-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber vs tire temps

I have a question about camber versus tire temperatures, and I hope some of you experienced autocrossers can enlighten me!

I'm autocrossing in local events (Snake River Region SCCA), and trying to set my car up the best I can. I've started with the recommendations in this forum - Hoosier 225/245, Comptech sway bar set next to soft, and -1.6 degrees front camber.

I've heard and read that the tire grip is maximized if the tread temperature is uniform across the tire. If the temp is high on the outside, add negative camber; if the temp is high in the middle decrease pressure, etc.

With Hoosiers on asphalt, inflated to 38 psi cold in front, the outside edge of the tread got really hot. No need for a pyrometer - it was really obvious to the bare hand.

My alignment shop says I've maxed out the negative camber. I've not read of anyone using more camber, either.

Today I boosted the pressures a lot - 48 psi front/43 rear. The temperature phenomenon was still there, just not so dramatic. I had only two runs on dry pavement, so didn't play around with the pressures. The car seemed "skippy" in front (sorry that's not a very technical term!).

So finally the question - is this tire temperature issue really true? Should I be evaluating the tread temperatures? If so, what should I do to even up the temps?

I liked the performance better with the lower tire pressures, so the next event I'll start somewhere in the middle, like 45 front/41 rear.

Any suggestions or thoughts would really be appreciated!