S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Buying a Helmet Online

Old 06-06-2014, 04:55 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Just FYI, I got my HJC through Amazon. Good price, prime shipping, and free easy returns. The first was too small so I went up a size. No problem.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:57 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Which Sparco did you get?
I was looking at a WTX-5W but when I found out they weigh in at 1800g I had to back off.
Got a G-Force CFG helmet instead, much cheaper and lighter. Weighing in at ~1450g with visor and 1325g without.
Went with the Sparco gloves though, Arrow H-7 super comfy

Old 06-07-2014, 05:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ are the graphics down the middle of the gforce just a sticker? Or is it under the gel coat or whatever the outer layer is?
Old 06-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

It's under the gel coat unfortunately, it's really stupid that they wont sell it without the ugly graphics.
Guess you could put a long sticker over it though.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Which Sparco did you get?
I was looking at a WTX-5W but when I found out they weigh in at 1800g I had to back off.
Got a G-Force CFG helmet instead, much cheaper and lighter. Weighing in at ~1450g with visor and 1325g without.
Went with the Sparco gloves though, Arrow H-7 super comfy

I ended up going with the wtx5w

Haven't received it yet.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, a little late...but, my advice is never buy a helmet without being able to return it.

LIving in SoCal I was able to go to many places to try helmets. All the ones' I tried, with two exceptions, always created pressure points on my forehead. Either at the sides or all across my forehead.

But, the Simpson and Bell helmets didn't. I tried almost all they had to offer and they all felt comfortable.

Interestingly, I went to an SCCA autocross later in the year and had an extremely experienced instructor of about 30 yrs. After talking with him about helmets, he told me I would probably be a Simpson or Bell buyer for life.

He said he's come across many guys in his life that those were the only two brands that every felt comfortable, and I'm in that group as well.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Most 'good' vendors exchange sizes but usually charge a restocking fee on items which are just returned (or exchanges after 30 days). Having said that, I only order from sites which have policies like that..

http://www.ogracing.com
http://www.saferacer.com

I've never had a problem using the online measuring guidelines and getting items which fit properly the first time.
I know this sounds over cautious, but I am in IT and trust me when I tell you not to risk your purchases with saferacer.com. I went to place an order for my helmet there and registered my account. The confirmation email I was sent upon registering sent my username AND my password in plain text. A password should never leave their system in plain text, especially in an email. If they make this basic of a mistake, how can I trust them with my credit card information? So I promptly emailed them to advise I would not do business with them and why and asked they delete my account. I ordered my helmet from Summit Racing instead, same price right down to the shipping.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1_DNA
Originally Posted by Mahjik' timestamp='1401903588' post='23189658
Most 'good' vendors exchange sizes but usually charge a restocking fee on items which are just returned (or exchanges after 30 days). Having said that, I only order from sites which have policies like that..

I've never had a problem using the online measuring guidelines and getting items which fit properly the first time.
I know this sounds over cautious, but I am in IT and trust me when I tell you not to risk your purchases with saferacer.com. I went to place an order for my helmet there and registered my account. The confirmation email I was sent upon registering sent my username AND my password in plain text. A password should never leave their system in plain text, especially in an email. If they make this basic of a mistake, how can I trust them with my credit card information? So I promptly emailed them to advise I would not do business with them and why and asked they delete my account. I ordered my helmet from Summit Racing instead, same price right down to the shipping.

Good to know. I'll stay away from there.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by F1_DNA
Originally Posted by Mahjik' timestamp='1401903588' post='23189658

but if you just give credit card information over the phone, then no issues, correct?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by F1_DNA' timestamp='1402372164' post='23197145
[quote name='Mahjik' timestamp='1401903588' post='23189658']

but if you just give credit card information over the phone, then no issues, correct?
[/quote]

that could be an even worse idea.

#1 most people can't remember all that information, so they may write it down, so therefore you have a piece of paper with your information floating around

#2 if the CSRs use the same system as you the end user have access to, then your information is till traveling around in plain text

Quick Reply: Buying a Helmet Online