S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

BSP Suspension Baseline

Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I'm not sure how happy OTS V3's will be with a 750lb spring...?
dont you race a nissan?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sproutxj
Originally Posted by rrthorne8' timestamp='1391572692' post='22999541
looks like youv got a pretty easy one there sprout.
Baseline setup with provided info.
change front springs to 750ish
Front bar on full soft.
In a week or two i will have my shock dyno back and i will send you some baseline settings to match up the kw with the valving range i like for those wheel rates
front == camber 3.5*, minimum caster, 1/32" toe out per side, oem fender height from hub 13"
Rear == camber 3.0, 3/32" toe in per side, oem fender height from hub 12.5" (any higher and i would recommend a softer rear bar)

you will be ok on those shocks for a bit, they arent bad, just will be missing the last little bit

Looks like my OP was inaccurate with springs rates. The KW3s come with 8kg (456lb) springs now, not 515s. Not sure if I should pony up to increase the rears as well. I'm going to order springs sometime today for the front. I'm thinking it doesn't make that much of a difference to buy rear springs now.
50 pounds isnt much in my opinion. however if i was to make the change, go to 550ish rear. But try what you have first right?
staying with 315 rear, probably 315 front toward end of season, just depends on how busy i get with other endeavors.
Car likes a little tire contact patch split front to rear, however the one inch difference is a little much with low power output (front heats up quicker then rear)
car doesnt balance out till 2nd run after fronts get sprayed
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrthorne8
Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz' timestamp='1391615261' post='23000159
dont you race a nissan?
Yeah...and not well either .
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mLeach
Robert,

Are you going to stay with the wide rear wheels/tires this year? Obviously it was fast, but I wonder how much time the 30-20mm per wheel is costing you in distance if can get nearly the same lateral grip out of 285s or 295s.
Anyone know what width Ankeny was running on his? I think it was significantly narrower but I'm pretty much talking out of my ass.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by rrthorne8
50 pounds isnt much in my opinion. however if i was to make the change, go to 550ish rear. But try what you have first right?
I will just pickup 550s when I get the 750s for the front.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Originally Posted by rrthorne8' timestamp='1391616085' post='23000177
[quote name='03threefiftyz' timestamp='1391615261' post='23000159']
dont you race a nissan?
Yeah...and not well either .
[/quote]

Only so many places to talk about BSP and help recruit newcomers? I applaud your efforts! My black car may be a BSP car once again!

-Marc
Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 AM

^ I do appreciate the sharing of knowledge for sure.

Do you think I will need to be concerned about bumpsteer in the rear going as low as suggested? Our big course venue doesn't have the smoothest tarmac.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sproutxj
^ I do appreciate the sharing of knowledge for sure.

Do you think I will need to be concerned about bumpsteer in the rear going as low as suggested? Our big course venue doesn't have the smoothest tarmac.

Here is my best attempt at this question ... From this point moving forward, I will stick with OEM ride heights (or close after corner balancing) for better clearance of the big wheels/tires and for handling/suspension geometry/etc issues. There is no doubt Robert's car is the proven setup to date and my attempt at a BSP car was plagued with electrical issues. Still, my opinions come from the R&D when we all ran in STR, comparing what worked with what didn't. Given the limited grip the 255 width street tires, handling got progressively worse as the car was lowered. When we set ride height back to stock, the desired rear stability and overall handling came back. Hoosiers tend to mask these characteristics with lots of available grip compared to the street tires. There is some balance in the suspension that likes stock height on the lower speed/fast transition type courses you get from auto-x. On paper, lower should be better. We took off the springs/shocks and measured the angels and change in alignment as the control arms moved. The bump steer/toe changed less when lowered, but on course the rear doesn't "dig in" or hold grip when tossing the car around like it does at stock heights. We went through countless ride height, alignment, and corner balance changes over the course of 2 full seasons trying to find that "magic setup" for this car like we did in the stock class.

For shocks, I like using more rebound vs compression for adjusting the rate of movement of the car, but that's only relevant if you have a basis to compare shock valving from me, Robert, or whoever else your comparing notes. Each driver will have different preferences here.

For swaybars, I like stock. The adjustability is nice and may be useful to someone who likes to have that option, but the springs take most of the sway out. I think 800-1000lb springs up front and 600-800 rear will be what most settle with "if" they use softer/OEM bars.

I did not like KWs, so I have no input for you there. The set I have most my experience with were similar to the Koni 8242s (probably why I like adjusting with rebound). The high speed became a factor on the typical bumpy surfaces we run on. This didn't make much sense until I started running on the high dollar monotubes. I would advise to stick with what you have and save for these in the future when you change springs.

Im only average when it comes to advise on this stuff, so take that into consideration. On the flip side, I do have a ton of seat time with these cars in many different levels of prep. I drive these cars on the absolute edge of the limit "high risk" so ignore me if you are a conservative driver.

Best of luck with the build!

-Marc
Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM

here's the good news about bump steer - its linear. it doesn't change much on the AP2 rear, so you're good there. On the AP1, as long as you maintain grip, the car tightens up as you increase the lateral load (entry, in most cases) and loosens up as the friction circle takes a more longitudinal load (corner exit). If you can slow down the rate of change in geometry, the car is more predictable. On the AP2, it's neglible. You probably get as much change in geometry from bushing deflection.

re: ride heights. The higher the car, the lower the spring rate has to be because the high roll center transfer's rate faster The roll center and CG are closer together. When you lower the car, you also lower the roll center, and more weight is transferred, but it takes longer to happen, so you have to use shocks/springs/bars to get the responsiveness back.

I think I will be raising my car slightly and running a slightly softer setup this season with all of this in mind.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sirbunz
I drive these cars on the absolute edge of the limit "high risk"
Understatement of the year

Quick Reply: BSP Suspension Baseline