S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

BRZ vs S2000 at Buttonwillow

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BRZ vs S2000 at Buttonwillow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaArJZOMCpI

Further thoughts after seeing the cars together?

One thing to note: the S2k had a ~200lb passenger.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would attribute some of the BRZ's "braking advantage" as simply being the following car vs. the lead. All things being equal, it's always a lil easier to outbrake your opponent from behind vs. being the lead car and having to select your own braking point.

Cool video. I like!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM

nice video, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by AyJay
I would attribute some of the BRZ's "braking advantage" as simply being the following car vs. the lead. All things being equal, it's always a lil easier to outbrake your opponent from behind vs. being the lead car and having to select your own braking point.

Cool video. I like!
The majority of the braking advantage is from the BRZ having so little camber all around; I'm literally utilizing the entire tire under braking

The BRZ also shares two piston front brakes with the WRX, and rear calipers from the Legacy GT. After 4 track days, the pads have wear similar to 1 track day in the S2k.

Rotors on the other hand... are already showing microfractures.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!!!

What I don't understand.... how can you tell it's the "aero" that gives you the higher speed & catch up?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Nice!!!

What I don't understand.... how can you tell it's the "aero" that gives you the higher speed in the sweeper?
My CR requires countersteer to stay flat through that turn. S2ks without wings require even more countersteer, and/or scrub more speed to stay in control. In the video, both cars are going roughly 95 mph through that turn.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Great video! Although I would attribute advantages or disadvantages of each car more to the driver of each rather than the cars themselves. The driver following is at a huge advantage as well.

What sort of laptimes was the BRZ managing compared to a stock S2000?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about difference in alignment, tire pressures, heat, weight, (insert any variable / car setup here)? I not saying that its not aero, but you must have some great feel to tell the aerodynamics between two different cars.

I don't deny the 86 has a less drag.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Great video! Although I would attribute advantages or disadvantages of each car more to the driver of each rather than the cars themselves. The driver following is at a huge advantage as well.

What sort of laptimes was the BRZ managing compared to a stock S2000?
BRZ - 2:07 The car is faster now with the new alignment; Darin at West End used his tricks to get -1.1 in the front and -1.4 in the rear. 0 toe all around. Unfortunately I didn't get any clean laps, but I'm hitting higher speeds in the straights, and hitting the governer in places I didn't previously

Both videos are in roughly 90-95 degree weather. Tire pressures set to typical tire pressures (36-38psi hot). Same driver. Both cars still have their tools and spare tire (in the BRZ's case) still in the car, and full interior trim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZpWlSp2Hvc

S2kCR - 2:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1syrlAw1ek

Mods

BRZ
Exhaust
RPF1
215 Star Specs, square
Alignment (best that is currently possible given what I have)

S2kCR
Exhaust
BBS RG-R
255 RS3, square
Alignment (track spec, dialed in to my taste)
Lightweight battery
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM

I really liked the BRZ when I drove it. The power difference was noticeable but the brz does inspire a lot of confidence.

Judging from the video it is tough to tell how much of it is up to the driver and how much of it is up to the car but they are definitely close that is for sure. If they ever do release a turbo version, which I think they would be crazy not to, then I think you'll see s2000's struggling to keep up. A turbo version could possibly tempt me away from the s2.

Thanks for the video... I enjoyed the commentary.

Quick Reply: BRZ vs S2000 at Buttonwillow