S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Broken A-arm Brackets

Old 07-11-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krazik,Jul 11 2004, 05:03 PM
This is why you don't auto-x w/ SCCA You really should come to an AAS event tho.
AAS is analogous in scope to a regional SCCA event. A protest like this wouldn't happen at a regional SCCA event.

Steve
Old 07-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still no matter how you slice it. Weenie protests make everyone involved look like a bunch of 2nd graders at recess.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's support in this, first of all. Second, as touched upon in several of the posts in this thread - even by non-competitors; It's absolutely foolish for the SCCA, SCAC, SEB, BoD and Management of the SCCA to actively disallow ANY repair that could potentially avoid a hazardous situation.

The problem is that there are MANY places in the club where this happens. The SCCA, while a fine organization - respectfully has it's head up it's collective arse sometimes... and this is one of those times!

I am confident we can get this sorted out, and appreciate everyone's pictures as Brad has requested. Then, at Nationals once we have this all sorted out, as a group we all go stick a copy of the TSB or Official Repair Procedure to Falkner's trailer with a piece of duct tape. I bet if we work hard enough we can cover the entire trailer.

This whole thing is definitely
Old 07-12-2004, 07:12 AM

Dang, and here I was, hoping you'd get protested (lmao) as I haven't had to re-weld my brackets (yet).

[hijack]Brad - you and Steve won't be at the Oscoda Divisional, will you? If not, I'll see you in Peru at the CenDiv? [/hijack]
Old 07-13-2004, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SR71BB,Jul 12 2004, 10:12 AM
[hijack]Brad - you and Steve won't be at the Oscoda Divisional, will you? If not, I'll see you in Peru at the CenDiv? [/hijack]
No, we won't be at Oscoda this weekend. Steve is doing the 2-day Milwaukee region event and I'm either doing the event as well or taking the weekend off and going water-skiing

So we'll see you and Kris at the Divisional in a few weeks.

Brad
Old 07-13-2004, 12:12 PM
IMP

I give Faulkner just a tad bit of credit on this one.... He's actually giving warning of the impending protest so there's time that something can be done about it. (Sure, it sucks that the protest can happen at all....)

It's better to have advance warning, than to just show up at Nationals and then all the cars get DSQd. THAT would not be good.

--Keith Casey
Old 07-13-2004, 03:00 PM

This really gets at the heart of why I dropped out of SCCA SOLO II some 20 years ago. Stupid rules and decisions by the governing body of the SCCA have eliminated the stock classes entirely; we now have to run DOT approved racing rubber to be competitive in a "stock" class, and stock suspensions just aren't made for that kind of abuse. It's not the weak spots in the cars that is the problem. It is the SCCA and their stupid rules, and the cheating encouraged by the rules, as well as the companies that make the cheater tires.

Dumbest thing the SCCA has ever allowed, IMHO, and I'll start participating seriously again when they get their heads back on straight (which hasn't happened in 20 years and will probably never happen). "Stock" is the SCCA is about as "stock" as a NASCAR "Stock Car." It's a joke, a scam, and a cheat. It stinks. IMO.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:24 PM

but it's still fun.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jul 13 2004, 03:00 PM
"Stock" in the SCCA is about as "stock" as a NASCAR "Stock Car." It's a joke, a scam, and a cheat. It stinks. IMO.
You, sir, have apparently never seen a NASCAR "Stock car."

SCCA's stock classes, while certainly not requiring the cars to be run exactly the way they came from the factory, are as close to "stock" as I've seen in ANY form of organized motorsports. Its even more "stock" than the Showroom Stock and Touring class Club Racing cars.

As for Keith's comments about Rob's proposed protest... I agree. Its definitely a well founded protest. I applaud him for giving us the opportunity to prepare a rebuttal, call Honda, or plea to the SEB (which I'm doing.)

I disagree with Rob's implied stance that all S2000's that need to be repaired are implicitly illegal. Honda doesn't give ANY guidance in the factory service manual about methods to repair damage to the chassis in any way. By Rob's reasoning, if you're in an accident and the frame needs to be straightened, you're forever illegal. The Service manual gives no approved method to straighten the frame of the car, even if the resulting geometry meets the specs in the factory service manual. This interpretation of the rules is not in the best interests of the club. A "good faith" repair should be permitted if no factory authorized repair is applicable and replacing the part is not feasible (i.e. the frame.)

These brackets aren't even on the front subframe. They're on the frame proper. To meet the letter of the rule in this case, you need to buy a new car. That ain't right.

Andy H.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jul 13 2004, 11:00 PM
This really gets at the heart of why I dropped out of SCCA SOLO II some 20 years ago. Stupid rules and decisions by the governing body of the SCCA have eliminated the stock classes entirely; we now have to run DOT approved racing rubber to be competitive in a "stock" class, and stock suspensions just aren't made for that kind of abuse. It's not the weak spots in the cars that is the problem. It is the SCCA and their stupid rules, and the cheating encouraged by the rules, as well as the companies that make the cheater tires.

Dumbest thing the SCCA has ever allowed, IMHO, and I'll start participating seriously again when they get their heads back on straight (which hasn't happened in 20 years and will probably never happen). "Stock" is the SCCA is about as "stock" as a NASCAR "Stock Car." It's a joke, a scam, and a cheat. It stinks. IMO.

I couldn't agree more. I thought the whole point of stock class autoX was to provide an affordable means to test driver skill. But instead the SCCA has created an arena in which DOT race tires and the resulting suspension mods are a necessity (as well as trailers). In doing so, they've effectively shifted the focus off the driver to the car, while simultaneously eliminating the possibility of "affordable racing".

in the words of Click and Clack: Booooogus!

Quick Reply: Broken A-arm Brackets