S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

BrakeMan #3 pads at the track

Old 06-30-2002, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, the brakeman pads are probably one of the few that can handle street and track use. Hawk HT10's and Blues are downright dangerous on the street. PF 97's are slightly less dangerous. The R4 pads that I have are OK, but still not great cold stopping power.

I still consider the #3's a compromise. It cannot withstand extreme track use (at least on the vipers), and tends to be somewhat noisy and dusty on the street (even according to The Brakeman himself).

I guess I'm old school. A good track pad for the track and a good street pad for the street. It only takes me 15 minutes per corner to change pads on my M3, and even less time on an S2000.
Old 06-30-2002, 06:40 PM

If you reread Chris's comments the #3 have less dust than the Porterfields (both types ) less noise than any racing pad he has used.
These pads are designed for racing , they have a 200 degree higher range than the Hawk Blue .
The only downside to the #3 pad is wear under full racing conditions . They will probably wear 25% faster than Blue's.
I tested #3's on the track and street over 9,000 miles still 50% pad left .

I think for a racing pad with fantastic manners and being able use it on the street , is something .

Brad

( almost forgot very rotor friendly!!!!!)
Old 06-30-2002, 08:14 PM

Here's a direct quote from an accomplished racer

[QUOTE]I think the Brakeman #3's I ran on my M3 were about as close to an all around pad as you could get at the time.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:56 PM

As I quoted in my first post , some people think that reduced petal pressure means improved braking !!! This is not the case , you can get the ABS to kick in any time you wish with the #3 pad installed on a stock S-2000 brake system , any place on the track , at any time . What more do you think the pads will do!!!! People think that a reduction in petal pressure means better braking , far from the truth . Being able to control the brakes is the key . I think that Chris summed up the difference very well .

QUOTE:

"Track Impressions

Rather than the on/off feel of other competition pads, these have a very consistent range of friction levels and I found myself with control enough to do some trail braking which I normally do not do. Even though I initially missed the instant grab of other high friction track pads, I adjusted and found I like the range of friction offered, and only had to press a little more to get all the stopping I needed. They never varied with heat, probably showing more consistent performance than others I have used."

"Conclusion

This compound is a winner, a track pad that can live on the street. If you want brakes that can easily be modulated and stay consistent with heavy track use, these are the ticket. If you must have pop-your-eyeballs instantaneous friction, this is not on the top of the list. I think they are well behaved on the street but don't offer their best when dead cold."

"direct quote from an accomplished racer"

"They don't stop as well as the pure track pads, but they are significantly better than the stock pads."

I think what this racer is saying is, the #3 pad has less friction than the pad he is used too .
The #3 pad is a pure race pad , it will bring the race car down just as fast , and if he is using a Hawk Blue ,this pad will give a 200 degree higher range .

People will always think that higher coefficient pads stop better , some drivers like this light petal , but as Chris stated :

"Rather than the on/off feel of other competition pads, these have a very consistent range of friction levels ;
probably showing more consistent performance than others I have used."

On -Off is not a great way to control some thing , especially brakes The ability to modulate the brakes is the answer to a better braking system . The next step up is our Pinnacle brake kit , less weight better control of your braking and greatly improved ability handle the heat .

brad
Old 07-01-2002, 05:41 PM

Some more data, from another experienced track whore:

I ran Brakeman pads on my 99 M3. I used #3 compound front and rear. They worked well for comination street/track use and lasted a very very long time as track pads. Of course they were also very expensive compared to other options.

Here is what I know:

Stock pads (Jurid) Are pretty good on the M3. They last and last and provide pretty good braking.
Hawks are great but you need to clean the wheels after a DE. The dust will ruin the M3's wheel finish.
PF-90's were the pad of choice here for shear stopping power. Pretty crappy on the street and squeal a lot.

I of course ran brakeman and stock pads on my M3.

I have run Porterfield R4's on my Ferrari 348 and also EBC Greens and Reds. The R4's are really good and last a long time (about 4 DE's). The EBC's are great but only lasted me 1 1/2 DE's. Both are pretty decent. For bang for the buck I'd go with the R4's since they last much longer than the EBC's with less stopping power.

On the Z06 I have run stock pads, Carbotech Panther+ pads (never again though) and Wilwood's race pads. The Wilwoods are amazing but eat rotors. The Carbotechs were just a hair better than stock pads and lasted about 3 times as long. The stock pads are pretty useless for the track.

I'll probably switch to some PF-01's for the Z06 in 2002.

For the M3 Brakeman are pretty good. If you want better stopping then I'd say The PF-90's are the way to go (if you can still get them) or the Hawk Blues.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:44 PM

And further, same guy, different email:

I think the Brakeman #3's I ran on my M3 were about as close to an all around pad as you could get at the time. They don't stop as well as the pure track pads, but they are significantly better than the stock pads. Its a trade off you have to live with with brake pads. Going out on cold PF90's or Hawks on the street is not a fun experience.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:07 PM

You are correct the #3 pads do not offer the same friction levels or bite of some racing pads . Friction and bite does not equate to better stopping . The number 3# pad will supply all the friction that a race car requires , but some drivers like the light petal and grapy feel of high friction pads , but they do not increase braking ability one bit . They also don't reduce heat in rotor . Most high friction pads only increase rotor wear.

brad
Old 07-06-2002, 12:10 PM

I looked at these pads on Rick's site.

Is it correct to use the #3's up front and #5's on the rear? That is what is suggested, and what is offered on this site.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hi50
[B]I looked at these pads on Rick's site.

Is it correct to use the #3's up front and #5's on the rear?
Old 07-06-2002, 06:24 PM

Yes we are adding a few more items . #3 pads are avalible for both front and rear . We will be posting soon of new additions .

brad

Quick Reply: BrakeMan #3 pads at the track