S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake rotors upgrade choices

Old 09-06-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake rotors upgrade choices

Well... Instead of going onto track today I'm writing this topic.
Needless to say, I cracked a rotor yesterday on track...

I'm looking for opinions on what brake rotors (front) should I be getting as an replacement/upgrade?

I'm not looking to buy a BBK, just needed a OEM replacement that may be more suitable for track usage and can last a little longer... Maybe an upgrade from my current settings..

My current brake settings :

OEM rotors
OEM caliper
Hawk HP+
Stoptech SS brake lines
Motul RBF600

What do you guys think??

Thanks.
Von
Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

centric premium. cheap, I think 30 bucks a piece
Old 09-06-2015, 08:52 AM

Most people just the cheap centric's. The general consensus is that they are likely to crack (at the front) regardless of what you run, so might as well run something cheap.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Centric premium or Napa premium blanks. Replace when you replace pads, before they crack. Always buy one 1 Xtra so you can continue your track day
Old 09-06-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Dont waste your money, fancy expensive OEM replacements dont last significantly longer than the cheap-o rotors. Autozones come with warranty that they will honor as long as the manager doesnt here you spouting off about race track this and that. Look for micro cracks that signal the end is a few sessions away. Always take spare front rotors to the track. Always roll the car to cool the rotors evenly after youve parked. If you have problems with HP+ just wait till you go full blown RComp. DIY brake ducts make the rotors last one extra weekend if you use the factory dust shields. One more weekend if you buy a proper fitting brake duct kit. Also the brake temps tend to go up when the pads are almost dead so be extra careful to cool the brakes good then. OEM calipers/rotors are just fine for track duty even if your experienced and fast so long as you dont mind spending the a few lunch breaks a year swapping rotors.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

The only OEM size rotor that most likely won't crack are much more expensive 2-piece rotors like those from Girodisc. And don't just assume you will crack rotors. Pad choice and driving style and how you cool down the car after a session will make a massive difference.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM

I've run the Centric and recently NAPA (a little cheaper) and they last just as long (around 5 track days).
Old 09-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
centric premium. cheap, I think 30 bucks a piece

Originally Posted by carrnut21
Most people just the cheap centric's. The general consensus is that they are likely to crack (at the front) regardless of what you run, so might as well run something cheap.

Originally Posted by tcjensen
Centric premium or Napa premium blanks. Replace when you replace pads, before they crack. Always buy one 1 Xtra so you can continue your track day
Thanks guys, looks like just the cheap centric blanks will do the work. This is the first rotor I've crack after about 12 track weekends. (the track I go to is heavy on tires but light on brakes). I have 2 sets of spare brake pads that I always bring with me but never rotors...

Originally Posted by Dead Serious
Dont waste your money, fancy expensive OEM replacements dont last significantly longer than the cheap-o rotors. Autozones come with warranty that they will honor as long as the manager doesnt here you spouting off about race track this and that. Look for micro cracks that signal the end is a few sessions away. Always take spare front rotors to the track. Always roll the car to cool the rotors evenly after youve parked. If you have problems with HP+ just wait till you go full blown RComp. DIY brake ducts make the rotors last one extra weekend if you use the factory dust shields. One more weekend if you buy a proper fitting brake duct kit. Also the brake temps tend to go up when the pads are almost dead so be extra careful to cool the brakes good then. OEM calipers/rotors are just fine for track duty even if your experienced and fast so long as you dont mind spending the a few lunch breaks a year swapping rotors.
Thanks! Yeah that's what i've been hearing and I always think fancy rotors are more for show than anything. Autozone warranty? Do you mean I can use the brake rotors and if they crack before warranty period Autozone will honor the warranty?
Yeah I'm thinking about DIY brake duct this off-season.

Originally Posted by andrewhake
The only OEM size rotor that most likely won't crack are much more expensive 2-piece rotors like those from Girodisc. And don't just assume you will crack rotors. Pad choice and driving style and how you cool down the car after a session will make a massive difference.
Thanks! I usually just turn off my car and let it roll a little bit before I put into first gear and let it sit until another session.

Originally Posted by Marc G
I've run the Centric and recently NAPA (a little cheaper) and they last just as long (around 5 track days).
Thanks! Looks like Centric/NAPA are the ones i'm going to purchase.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

1. Brake ducts
2. Giro disc 2 piece.

This combo lasts me about a year of tracking (10 + weekends) with fairly aggressive pads (cobalt xr2). This includes time trial and wheel to wheel racing
Old 09-07-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Centric makes a premium blank and a cheaper version called c-tek. Which one are you guys using?

Quick Reply: Brake rotors upgrade choices