S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake pads and rotors for autocross

Old 12-26-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads and rotors for autocross

Hi,

I need new brake pads and possibly rotors for my '03 S2000 that I autocross and drive on the street. I don't do track racing. I use Kumho V710s.

I had Cobalt Sport before and I was hoping to find something in between stock pads and the Cobalt Sport. The Cobalts grab alittle more than I would like and the stock pads don't seem to grab enough. Also, the Cobalts dust like crazy.

Is there such a pad that is in between?

Does anyone have experience with the Porterfield R4S pads?

Does anyone have any experience with the Hawk pads? Either the Hawk plus or HPS pads. Are the HPS better than the stock pads?

Also, are the stock rotors good enough or would you suggest a different product. Also, does changing the rotors throw me out of the stock class?

Thanks,

Kathy
Old 12-26-2006, 10:08 AM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

The stock pads don't "grab" enough? Are you looking for more initial bite or full on braking power?

The stock pads/rotors work great for auto-x. They won't hold up for lapping days but auto-x they are just fine.

Tires are more of a limiting factor than brake pads for braking.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by lig,Dec 26 2006, 11:08 AM
The stock pads don't "grab" enough? Are you looking for more initial bite or full on braking power?

The stock pads/rotors work great for auto-x. They won't hold up for lapping days but auto-x they are just fine.

Tires are more of a limiting factor than brake pads for braking.
I am looking for more initial bite. Also I use Kumho 710's.
Thanks,

Kathy
Old 12-26-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OEM pads don't work that well with super sticky autoX tires. I noticed that I could barely get ABS to come on with Hoosier A6 on a hot, dry day. I might try the Panther+ or perhaps the Bocats on the front next season.

I had no problem withe the OEM pads and RA-1s or Victoracers. It was just when I strated using Hoosiers that I felt I could use a slightly more aggressive front pad.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Check out this thread on the SCCA forums:

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/221457.aspx

Rotors must be OEM or equivolent for stock class. No slotted/drilled rotors.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had good success with Porterfield R4S pads for autocross. Not much dusting either.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:02 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't felt the need for different pads - even with V710s. I have a set of P+ in right now. Noisy, dusty and IMO they need a bit of heat in them to feel good. Not sure if I'd want to use them for auto-x.

They did hold up to a lot of abuse at a track day though.

I'm pretty sure I'll be swapping these out for the OEMs once auto-x season gets going.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you didn't like how the Cobalts dusted, then you really would not like the Carbotech Panthers. The Bobcats are decent, but not stellar. Ititial bite is better than OEM and they resist fade considerably better than OEM. Total stopping power though is definitely not as good as the Panther.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the Hawk pads? Either the Hawk plus or HPS pads. Are the HPS better than the stock pads?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:51 PM

The HPS are the best compromise between the OE and something like the HP+ or Panther+.

The HP+ are very similar to the Panther+ in dust and noise. The HPS are significantly quieter and less dusty, but dont have quite the same amount of bite either. They are still better than the OE pads for sure though.

I personally run the Panther+ in the front with the OE pads in the rear for auto-x(also on 710s). I found under hard braking, the ABS would kick in too early and sometimes ice-mode with the Panther+ on all 4 corners, there was too much rear bias and it was causing the rears to lock before the fronts hit threshold, and was decreasing the braking performance of the car. With the Panther+ front and OE rear the car had the best balance for me.

But I also swap the fronts back to the OE pads when I change tires at the event, the dust and noise is just too much for me on the street. But they are hard to beat if you want all out performance, they friggin stand the car on its nose.

Quick Reply: Brake pads and rotors for autocross