S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake Fluid & Brake Pads

Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to give you guys an update on what I ended up buying.

For the Brake Fluid, I ended up going with the ATE Type 200 Amber Fluid. This and the Superblue have the same specs but from what I read was that ATE uses two different colors for convenience from when changing brake fluid.

For the Brake Pads, I ended up ordering Ferodo DS2500s from raceshopper.com. For all four pads, the total came out to be $186 and that's including shipping. I ended up doing some more searching on these pads and I found this pretty good review on them from an RSX owner. And from what I read, it seems that the front pads of an S2000 and RSX are the same.
http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f46/ferod...d-review-68907/

Thanks for all your inputs guys...

Andre
Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 AM

Another review...

http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=1271

Seems like a lot of people like these for the occasional track day and not as a dedicated track pad.

Andre
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Feb 20 2009, 07:45 AM
Another review...

http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=1271

Seems like a lot of people like these for the occasional track day and not as a dedicated track pad.

Andre
There was another S2k owner who used these in the UK with mixed results, I'm curious how this works out.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Feb 20 2009, 03:07 PM
There was another S2k owner who used these in the UK with mixed results, I'm curious how this works out.
I read someone that used these in Europe when he did the Nurburgring and he mentioned that it was glazing his rotors and leaving deposits but then found out that he didn't break them in properly (can't remember the proper name for it). And he said after he broke them in according to manufacturer's recommendations, he said they were great.

I'm sure if anything, they'll be better than the OEMs.

Andre
Old 02-20-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few guys in my community that are running the Ferodo 2500's and they seem to like them as a good all around pad for street and HPDE.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the Ferodo DS2500, and would not recommend them as a track pad if you are hard on the brakes. I got brake fade at Buttonwillow last summer. Also, not a great pad for the street either because of excess dust and noise.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM

lol... alright... then I guess I will find out when I go. Like I said... they can't be worse than OEMs right? I'm sure there's people out there that track on OEMs.

We'll see... lol.

Andre
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Feb 10 2009, 04:55 PM
The one time I used ATE Superblue I got a softish/longish pedal on day two at Watkins Glen. I get better track performance out of off-the-shelf Valvoline synthetic DOT4.

YMMV...

Regarding pads, stockers in my experience weren't quite up to the track. If I *had* to have a pad do it all, I'd go with Carbotech XP8's or possibly Hawk HP+ (NOT HPS!).
i used to use synpower now ate, i don't notice any changes at all(i can't boil both fluid on track or street yet)

you might just have air in the line, you can't compress fluid in both so you shouldn't get ANY changes as far as fluid displacement goes.

I run axxis ultmate on my s2k and miata, they dust alot but they are not paint damaging like hawks blue pad does(or axxis metal master). The MOT is higher than hawks HP+ if i am not mistaken, but again, that shouldn't even be a decision factor if you are running autocross
Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan @ Feb 10 2009, 04:55 PM
: The one time I used ATE Superblue I got a softish/longish pedal on day two at Watkins Glen. I get better track performance out of off-the-shelf Valvoline synthetic DOT4.
Originally Posted by iam7head,Feb 21 2009, 12:27 AM
i used to use synpower now ate, i don't notice any changes at all(i can't boil both fluid on track or street yet)
If you're not heating the fluid to the point it starts to compress, of course you won't notice a difference. No way you should be overheating even DOT3 fluid on the street unless you ride the brakes.

you might just have air in the line, you can't compress fluid in both so you shouldn't get ANY changes as far as fluid displacement goes.
I didn't have air in the lines, the fluid was giving up on me, period. I started day one with a fully firm and normal pedal. It got progressively softer throughout the event. Still driveable at the end of day two, but the pedal was noticeably longer so I had reduced braking effort to ~7-8/10ths.

A month later, in hotter conditions at Mosport (85F vs. 72F at WGI), on the same pads, the car did two days of dual-driving (more than 2x the track time at WGI, with less than 1/2 the cooldown time between stints) and the brake pedal remained consistently firm throughout, with Valvoline synthetic (which I've never had any issues with in my 240Z either).

I know a lot of people love and recommend the ATE SuperBlue, but in my one experience with it I am not impressed. Coulda been a bad batch I suppose, but either way, it doesn't seem worth the added cost or reduced availability to me.

One dude's experience, ymmv...
Old 02-21-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, ATE is a great street fluid and will hold up fine for occasional track days on street tires. But when I made the switch to rcompound tires and started using the brakes harder, I managed to boil it. That said, I didn't have very good brake cooling which would be my first change next year.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid & Brake Pads