S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake Fluid & Brake Pads

Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Fluid & Brake Pads

Was wondering if you guys could help me out. I have done some research on these topics but wanted a final consensus, if you will, before I make a final choice to purchase since this is really the first time I needed to face this decision.

As stated in the title, the car is mainly a DD (weekend/summer car really), I auto-X about 10 times through the year and this will be the first year I will be going to the track. Track days for me will probably be only 2 or 3 times a year, nothing really more than that.

I have come across some pretty good information about the Brake Fluids which are:

1. DOT-4
2. ATE Superblue/Typ 200

I've read that the DOT-4 is sufficient for track days but everyone seems to be chosing the ATE fluid. I understand that the ATE has a higher boiling point than the DOT-4, but this whole "moisture absorbtion" concept I'm not really understanding too well. Which would be the better choice?

As far as the Brake Pads, I wasn't really finding too much on that. Seemed to be king of mixed but I saw a consistancy for the rear brakes to be:

1. Axxis Ultimate

I think that one thing about racing pads are that they "sqeak" when driven under normal conditions... is that true? Would new OEM pads be sufficient or do you guys recommend upgrading the pads as well?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Andre
Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Superblue is a DOT4 fluid.

I'm not even going to touch the brake pad thing. This has been answered way too many times already.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 10 2009, 01:02 PM
Superblue is a DOT4 fluid.
Thanks.

Andre
Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran the axis ultimates for auto x and they were fine although they dust extremely badly and IMHO they're not worth the dust.
Stock pads will work for auto x assuming you're on street tires but they won't survive track abuse depending on your driving level. I thought I could get by with stock rears but that wasn't the case.
As far as a track pad you should find out what people are running on the track you will be tracking on. They shoul be able to answer that the best.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake pads are extremely easy to change for track events so why not stick with the stock pads for street/autox and pick up a seperate set of more track-worthy pads to swap in and out for track days?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by macr88,Feb 10 2009, 02:30 PM
I ran the axis ultimates for auto x and they were fine although they dust extremely badly and IMHO they're not worth the dust.
Stock pads will work for auto x assuming you're on street tires but they won't survive track abuse depending on your driving level. I thought I could get by with stock rears but that wasn't the case.
As far as a track pad you should find out what people are running on the track you will be tracking on. They shoul be able to answer that the best.
The dust really is a PITA.

I figured that the OEM pads weren't going to be any good. There were a few Auto-Xs that I went to where not many people would show up, so they would less us run session after session with hardly any stopping time in between and after about 3 or 4 runs (approx 1 min each), the brakes were fading bad... scary bad.

I'll ask around.

Thanks,
Andre
Old 02-10-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Feb 10 2009, 10:50 AM

I figured that the OEM pads weren't going to be any good. There were a few Auto-Xs that I went to where not many people would show up, so they would less us run session after session with hardly any stopping time in between and after about 3 or 4 runs (approx 1 min each), the brakes were fading bad... scary bad.

I'll ask around.

Thanks,
Andre
You are NOT getting pad fade (Green Pad Fade). You are boiling the fluid. I have slammed the track for 20-40 minute sessions and not had stock pad fade. Frankly in AX if you are reaching severe fade even with old fluid I would reassess the braking technique.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Feb 10 2009, 03:00 PM
You are NOT getting pad fade (Green Pad Fade). You are boiling the fluid. I have slammed the track for 20-40 minute sessions and not had stock pad fade. Frankly in AX if you are reaching severe fade even with old fluid I would reassess the braking technique.
When it's a 100 degrees out... I think it would make a difference no?

I really don't think it's the braking technique. How much of your braking technique can you change in Auto-X to actually make a difference? It could have been something else, maybe low fluid?

Andre
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Feb 10 2009, 11:50 AM

I'll ask around.

Thanks,
Andre
Wow we're lucky if our breaks between fun runs are shorter than 10 minutes and you can forget about the regular runs, you have to warm your car back up again

Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Feb 10 2009, 12:05 PM
When it's a 100 degrees out... I think it would make a difference no?

I really don't think it's the braking technique. How much of your braking technique can you change in Auto-X to actually make a difference? It could have been something else, maybe low fluid?

Andre
Was the pedal soft or was there a lack of bite?

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid & Brake Pads