S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake Fluid Boiling?

Old 01-13-2007, 05:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Boiling?

The last 2 times that i was at the local track, i have been getting vibrations in the brake pedal... kind of like when the abs comes on but wasnt the abs.IF i push the brake pedal harder the car slows down faster but does not get worse. After the first time this happened i changed my brake fluid to valvoline DOT 5, thinking it was boiling. The next time i went to the track... same thing. It only happens after going around the track a couple times and never happens during daily use.

I cant seem to find what the problem is. Should i change my fluid again? My brakes are stock (excpet the DOT 5) and have 40k miles on the ODO.

Any advice helps. and if it is the fluid boiling.. what is your recommendation?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced the same issue. I came off the track, let the car sit for 20-40 mins, and then went back out and it never happened again.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:11 AM

do you think its boiling brake fluid though? Any recommendations on what kind of fluid to use
Old 01-13-2007, 08:21 AM
BKL

Doesn't sound like your are boiling the brake fluid to me. That would make the pedal feel mushy. Also, if you boiled your brake fluid, you would not be able to "revive" the fluid. After it boils, its done for and you have to flush it out

There are a number of brake fluid with higher boiling temp that you can try. I am running the ATE super blue; i find it OK. I will probably give motul RBF600 a try next time or the fluid from Ferodo.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could your rotors be warped?
Old 01-13-2007, 04:53 PM

I would think that if my rotors are warped then i would notice the pulsating during regular braking on the street...?
Has anyone heard of their rotors warping.. i was told that the stock rotors are great for tracking and never really read about anyone having warped ones.

Should i change my pads? Its one of the things that i want to do for then coming season. What do you guys use for track pads....that match nicely to the stock rotors
Old 01-13-2007, 07:17 PM
BKL

can you be more clear on when this shaking happen? Was the ground dry that day ? Which track was this?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:32 PM

it was at cayuga.

Only during hard braking. The 2 times it was dry track out. Actually the last time out for the season, the weekend that i was at Shannonville talking to you (BKL) about suspension, the car was fine.. but that could have been because it was wet out and wasn't pushing the car as hard as i did at Cayuga.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:34 PM
BKL

How new are your front tires? It might not be your brakes. It could be your front tires giving hence making the car unstable..

That is what I think because I have the same problem, you just have to adjust your driving..

Anyone else have any inputs? Im a noob still.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by BKL,Jan 13 2007, 09:34 PM
It could be your front tires giving, hence making the car unstable..
If the front tires were spent, ABS would engage during hard braking.

Originally Posted by myflys2k,Jan 13 2007, 06:51 AM
My brakes are stock and have 40k miles on the ODO.
Are these the original pads and rotors? OEM pads are ok for short term track use, (very short term) but most peeps use aftermarket pads with OEM rotors.

Originally Posted by myflys2k,Jan 13 2007, 06:51 AM
if it is the fluid boiling.. what is your recommendation?
If you are still on the original set of OEM brake pads, the fluid is the least of your worries right now. I don't know what your driving style is, but I would speculate to say that you did not boil the brake fluid.

A lot of peeps use ATE brake fluid including myself. If in fact indeed, you are are still using the original OEM pads and rotors, it wouldn't hurt a thing to simply just replace everything as these are normal wear and tear items.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Boiling?