S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake Ducts (Almost) Finished

Old 03-22-2012 | 04:52 PM

Default Brake Ducts (Almost) Finished

Well, after a long, arduous process which involved overcoming fear of ripping front bumper off (really, was kind of scary yanking on it, bending it etc), waiting for parts to come in, etc., I finally finished one of my ducts and the other should be done tomorrow or Saturday. I chose an alternate route for the mounting of the ducts and just wanted to hear some opinions. My thought is that the air pushing up underneath the front of the bumper can flow into the ducts, with minimal drag. Comments and criticism welcomed.

Updated pictures:

Old 03-23-2012 | 08:00 AM

never even thought of that, but that's certainly one way to do it.

I know Noble owners do this downward facing duct to help with gearbox temps... but never thought of doing it for brake ducts... nice job!
Old 03-23-2012 | 08:00 AM

never even thought of that, but that's certainly one way to do it.

I know Noble owners do this downward facing duct to help with gearbox temps... but never thought of doing it for brake ducts... nice job!
Old 03-23-2012 | 10:01 AM
20 Year Member

I've thought about doing this, but haven't been able to decide if I'm convinced it would flow enough air. Do you have a pyrometer? Maybe next time you go to the track, try blocking or disconnecting one side and see what the difference in temp is between the two sides after a session.

The AP2 bumper really doesn't make ducting nearly as easy as the AP1 bumper did. I just got an AP2 and cracked a rotor halfway through my first track day with it.

The other option I've been considering is mounting two smaller duct lines stacked on top of each other in the faux duct holes of the AP2 bumper. The smaller lines would improve tire clearance on the inside fender area and likely send more total air into the center of the rotor where the rotor venting sucks from.
Old 03-23-2012 | 12:00 PM

i am not sure whether you'd get enough airflow with the ducts being there. Since the bumper hangs a bit below the splash shield, it is going to block some of the airflow. It also doesn't look like a NACA duct, which are supposed to work the best for non-scooped air intake.

I would try to add some sort of an external scoop to the splashguard to direct more airflow into the duct. Like The Reverend says, I'm curious if you have a pyrometer to do any data taking.
Old 03-23-2012 | 12:57 PM

I don't have a pyrometer, but was thinking of trying to take measurements with an infrared thermometer. If I used a pyrometer, would you mount the thermocouple in the duct tubing near the rotor?

I would like to do some data taking though to see if there is any noticeable aid from these ducts, and if not, I'd just scrap them and move to a square duct mounted in the opening for the radiator. They are the true NACA shape, I got them from Pegasus:

Old 03-23-2012 | 01:32 PM

Cool idea!

Are you taking bets? With the NACA duct, I bet it works nearly as well as a standard front-mounted setup. Might even help reduce front lift (a tiny, tiny little bit).
Old 03-23-2012 | 01:42 PM

I got a few different ideas lol...this was just one of them. If I can't measure a discernible difference (or even if I can), I may punch a hole through that black plastic piece underneath the bumper support bar and mount some ducts on the inside opening. The hard part is done, and if I can get used to taking the bumper on and off, then it would be an easy switch to make.

P.S. I like your Canadian paint scheme...very cool.
Old 03-23-2012 | 01:54 PM

Great to see someone use NACA ducts for brake cooling on an s2k. I've seen many guys do it like this on other cars, but never an s2k. I was actually about to do the exact same thing last year, but ended up modifying my ap2 faux-ducts and incorporating a custom fiberglass funnel instead. Anyhow, I'm very curious to hear your results. I'm sure they will work very well indeed. Good job
Old 03-23-2012 | 04:35 PM

in for some results! nice job.

Quick Reply: Brake Ducts (Almost) Finished