S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Bigger radiator problems?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger radiator problems?

Hello all, i was planning on upgrading my rad to a full-blown radiator sometime in the near future, when i came to the thought, would this be too cool for street conditions? the car is mainly a daily, but i don't like it running warmer while on the track. but i don't wanna increase wear on everything by running too cool of temps on the street.

opinions anyone?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k_Bert
Hello all, i was planning on upgrading my rad to a full-blown radiator sometime in the near future, when i came to the thought, would this be too cool for street conditions? the car is mainly a daily, but i don't like it running warmer while on the track. but i don't wanna increase wear on everything by running too cool of temps on the street.

opinions anyone?
You have a thermostat that controls the temperature of the Coolant, not the radiator. If the Radiator is cooling the coolant to much the thermostat closes and restricts the flow through the radiator. It's my opinion that you can never have to good of a radiator. It's running a good rad with no thermostat that gets you into trouble with the car running to cool. Don't know about the S2000 but My thermostat stuck opened on my truck and the gas mileage went to hell and it through code for running to rich.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 PM

i see..interesting so with a stock thermostat i should be fine? and what would happen if you were running an ems..would it notice the cooler temps and do the same thing?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thermostat is purely mechanical. It has nothing to do with the ECU, stock or aftermarket.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
The thermostat is purely mechanical. It has nothing to do with the ECU, stock or aftermarket.
Correct but lack of thermostat function will cause the ECT (engine coolant temp sensor) see a temperature that will be used to tell the ecu what to determine the fuel mixture.

But yes we are over complicating this. If your using a stock thermostat the car will run exactly the same. Except maybe when the system is pushed hard the better radiator should keep it more in the operational temp range.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 PM

ok thanks guys