S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Best brake pads for street and track usage?

Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Apr 27 2006, 08:05 PM
There is no such thing as a street/race pad because they operate under very different conditions.

Track pads = hard, corrosive, dirty, can take repeated abuse, hard on rotors, squeal like a stuffed pig, drag, don't work well until they heat up, can stop you on a dime, crumble and break up when driven on the street.

Street pads = softer, easier on wheels, less dirty, quieter, easier on rotors, wear quickly with repeated abuse, glaze, breakup and wear completely off when driven on the track.

There is no pad which does everything. Somewhere you compromise. The best thing to do is change between race and OE pads. It's the cheapest solution and is extremely quick with practice (wheels off it's 4 minutes each front, 8 minutes each rear). It's also the most economical way to have both.

Save the SS lines and get an extra set or rotors instead. SS line are worthless bling; I know first hand.
Thanks for the input. I plan to research the various track pads that best suit my needs.

I am looking forward to tracking my S.

Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Apr 27 2006, 10:46 PM
Cobalt Friction GT sports. IMHO a great pad for a street/track use.
How is the noise on your GT Sports? Mine are quiet when I hit brakes hard, but at lighter pressure, like rolling up to a stopsign at 10-15mph, they are painful!
Old 04-28-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Apr 27 2006, 08:05 PM
There is no such thing as a street/race pad because they operate under very different conditions.

<snip>

There is no pad which does everything. Somewhere you compromise. The best thing to do is change between race and OE pads. It's the cheapest solution and is extremely quick with practice (wheels off it's 4 minutes each front, 8 minutes each rear). It's also the most economical way to have both.
I agree with the statement that no pad does street/race. However the CCX operates in both temperature ranges equally well. The brake torque is not as high as a full-on race pad, but that's the compromise as you correctly pointed out and they do work well for HPDEs.

The biggest problem I had with switching pads was severe vibration from incompatible brake pad compounds. It took two sessions before the track pad removed the street compound from the rotor surface, and it absolutley sucked for those laps. And trying to remove the track compound with the street pad never worked.

Granted it depends which types of pads you use for track and street. It seems that you have two sets of pads that are compatible, but my luck wasn't as good. That's why whenever I did use track pads, I also switched out the rotors, which took that much longer.

Bassem
Old 04-28-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Apr 28 2006, 05:33 AM
How is the noise on your GT Sports? Mine are quiet when I hit brakes hard, but at lighter pressure, like rolling up to a stopsign at 10-15mph, they are painful!
My attempt to get a "compromise" pad which would work on the street and track was the GT Sport. It's a great street pad, and a somewhat adequate track pad. On the street, it has a good initial bite, while remaining nicely progressive, and is excellent at stopping the car. It does squeak, but not horribly (I keep the metal brackets on them). But the GT Sport was not so good on the track. It would stop the car ok, but it would glaze and wear quite quickly.

I now use Cobalt Spec VR on the front, and Spec VX on the rear. I believe that I save money in the long run, since my GT Sports last forever in street/autocross use, and the full race pads are better at stopping my car on the track.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Apr 28 2006, 04:33 AM
I had the same experience. "CRC Disc Brake Quiet" makes a world of difference. About $3 a bottle at any auto supply.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always hated that stuff because it's a pain to clean off the shims, but I'll give it a shot, as I've got spare shims.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:54 PM

I dun't use the shims on track anymore. The one time I did, they incinerated.