S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Best brake pads for street and track usage?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brake pads for street and track usage?

Hi guys,

What recommendations do you have for an improved street pad that will work nicely on the track as well. Not a whole lot of dust would be nice as well.

I know this is a compromise, but the car will primarily be used on the street and maybe 6 HPDE events a year. I will utilize the factory 17s with Advan 048 tires for track use and upgrade to stainless lines and high temp fluid.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:43 AM

You're dreaming.

You can have relatively dust-free, but not track good.

When I started tracking my car, I thought I'd be fine with a compromise pad, like the GT Sport. It did, in fact, work reasonably well, but it didn't last very long. Especially when I started braking aggressively.

So I bit the bullet, and I swap in full race pads for track days. It only adds about 15 minutes to the time it takes to swap tires anyway, and I'm not killing my street pads. You need to examine your pads every time you go to the track anyway, to ensure that they will last the day.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race pads for track and OEM pads for street, and change pads accordingly; very simple and easy.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Endless CCX seems to work well on mine for both street and track.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=124Spider,Apr 26 2006, 11:43 AM] You're dreaming.

You can have relatively dust-free, but not track good.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:08 PM

I don't know about SS lines (not stock-legal for autocross), but I use the Cobalt pad sold here in the Marketplace, and get a 10% discount for my membership. Works for me.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by clanger,Apr 26 2006, 03:53 PM
Endless CCX seems to work well on mine for both street and track.

Not many people are on this bandwagon yet though. The only thing is price. If you are talking 6 events a year plus street use, you may very certainly be looking at replacing them annually. At $400+ a set, thats expensive.

Bassem
Old 04-27-2006, 07:46 PM

Cobalt Friction GT sports. IMHO a great pad for a street/track use.

btw, When did you get a s2k. IIRC, you had a NSX and sold it. So you ended up getting a S2000

NSXLuvr.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no such thing as a street/race pad because they operate under very different conditions.

Track pads = hard, corrosive, dirty, can take repeated abuse, hard on rotors, squeal like a stuffed pig, drag, don't work well until they heat up, can stop you on a dime, crumble and break up when driven on the street.

Street pads = softer, easier on wheels, less dirty, quieter, easier on rotors, wear quickly with repeated abuse, glaze, breakup and wear completely off when driven on the track.

There is no pad which does everything. Somewhere you compromise. The best thing to do is change between race and OE pads. It's the cheapest solution and is extremely quick with practice (wheels off it's 4 minutes each front, 8 minutes each rear). It's also the most economical way to have both.

Save the SS lines and get an extra set or rotors instead. SS line are worthless bling; I know first hand.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Apr 27 2006, 07:46 PM
Cobalt Friction GT sports. IMHO a great pad for a street/track use.

btw, When did you get a s2k. IIRC, you had a NSX and sold it. So you ended up getting a S2000

NSXLuvr.
Hi there,

Red NSX right? I remember your avatar with the yellow numbers on the track on Prime. I hope you are doing well. Are you still considering a C6Z?

Good memory; I had an 04 NSX that I sold about a year ago. I just recently bought the S2000 to have some fun on the track. So far I am pleased with the car's agility and handling, but will fine tune it in the process.

Take care.

Quick Reply: Best brake pads for street and track usage?