S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

AutoX Video My first time

Old 02-02-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoX Video My first time

Here a video of my first time running an autox in my dad's car. i was about 7 seconds behind the top guy.

Video

let me know what you think.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard to tell much from the external perspective (in-car cameras work better for this), but like most new autocrossers, you should work on smoothness and looking ahead. Some of the steering inputs look abrupt. Other than that, get more seat time and taking an Evolution autocross school is always helpful.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because I don't do a lot of autox activities I'm always challenged by what looks to me like a sea of orange cones. I really suggest you get to activities as early as possible, find someone who has autoxed for years and walk the course with them before driving it. Typically for me I walk it a couple of times just to try and help me remember the layout. The best driver in the world will not have a great time if they can't remember what the next corner is...

Good luck, and remember, have fun!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 AM

It looked like fun to me! As you get more familiar with how the car behaves under auto-x conditions, your skills will improve accordingly.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:27 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Not to bad, Little choppy, as josh said it's hard to tell form external view. That course didn't look particularly nice either. Work on your Aggressiveness. Smoothness and looking ahead are nice but they don't lead to being fast. You can stare a mile ahead and still be slow as Piss. I've found that the drivers that come out for their first event and spin the car 8 times and scare the life out of the saftey steward almost ALWAYS become very fast drivers quickly. So go have at it, All that smoothness stuff will come as a by product of being quick. Learn what the car can do by overstepping it. Autox is the best place because very rarely can you hurt the car from a spin. You'll also learn car control skills by being just beyond control. You'll also find that being out of control will slowly become IN control even though your doing the same stuff. Over time you'll just kinda automatically drive the proper line. But if for somereason that doesn't come naturally then seek help. I find most people that struggle with getting faster already drive the proper line, and they concentrat WAY to much on looking ahead and being smooth when all they really need is to not be afraid to WAY overcook it. I get so many people that ride with me and say "I didn't know the car could do that". Neither did I untill I tried it.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:27 PM

thanks guys, ya it was my first time but since then i have done a lot of karting and learning a lot from that. and that day the temp was about 45 degrees.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by Mrsideways
I've found that the drivers that come out for their first event and spin the car 8 times and scare the life out of the saftey steward
In my first event with the S I only had the chance to spin it 3 times before getting the "keep it under control" speech from the saftey steward. If I had the chance to spin it another 5 times I believe I'd be much faster today

Karim