S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

from autox to track?

Old 01-26-2007, 02:06 PM
jzr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all autocross drivers are good autocross drivers...
Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consistant regional autocross winners usually have no problems switching to road courses.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stick by my comment of it helping.

While the skills sets have some differences they are kissing cousins.

Probably the best transistion of skills is simply knowing how the car reacts in different situations and how to control it.

Autocross is more abrupt than road, but same basic skills set. Of course Autocrosses have never had to learn how to play nice with other cars on the track, they are selfish!

As I've always said, Autocross is something you do because you don't have a track available at the time.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:35 PM
jzr

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Jan 26 2007, 06:54 PM
As I've always said, Autocross is something you do because you don't have a track available at the time.
Or when you want to go 10/10ths without the risk of wadding your car up...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

auto-x is to racing
as
methadone is to heroin

Old 01-26-2007, 11:07 PM

In my experiencing, autocrossers have a few habits they have to 'un-learn' for track driving. But there are more things that carry over and help them than ones that hurt.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jzr,Jan 26 2007, 10:35 PM
Or when you want to go 10/10ths without the risk of wadding your car up...
...or if you want to actually compete against others instead of saying you were going faster.

Someone needs to dig up that post where a bunch of s2ki-ers, including famed Pyramid of Speed author Doug Hayashi, rented a bunch of Radicals for timed lapping, and promptly got mauled by jzr and James Gunn-Wilkinson (both autocrossers).

Not saying autocrossing is better than tracking (or road racing), but the opposite is no more true, and skills learned in one discipline apply to some extent to the others.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by JackOlsen,Jan 27 2007, 12:07 AM
In my experiencing, autocrossers have a few habits they have to 'un-learn' for track driving. But there are more things that carry over and help them than ones that hurt.
What would you say is the most important thing to unlearn when making the switch. I know in open wheel you will not always be on the line you want, but other than that what should I know before the first track day? I wont be disappointed if I dont win at first. I just want to keep the car in one piece.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 AM
bky

Originally Posted by andy g,Jan 19 2007, 04:45 PM
The few times I have been to no problem the crowd has been um not realy my style, maybe you know what I mean? However I did not know that the track was open other than for drift events and such. Is there a local club that will host a track day? none of the scca regions in LA have information about track days at noproblem. thanks I'll see what I can find out.
You went out with the wrong crowd. Peanut lapping during Midnight Madness isn't a good place for the serious driver.

No SCCA Region currently sanctions racing at NPR. Grand Bayou is a great series at runs there: there is a race there tomorrow (sunday 1/28/07). Gates open at 8am, $10 gets you in.

Private track rentals happen all the time at NPR: there was one yesterday by a Cenla Member with an Improved Touring Porsche. I got onto NPR three times last year by private rental. I also got onto EVOC's full track twice: I like that track more.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=PedalFaster,Jan 27 2007, 08:45 AM] ...or if you want to actually compete against others instead of saying you were going faster.

Someone needs to dig up that post where a bunch of s2ki-ers, including famed Pyramid of Speed author Doug Hayashi, rented a bunch of Radicals for timed lapping, and promptly got mauled by jzr and James Gunn-Wilkinson (both autocrossers).

Quick Reply: from autox to track?