S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

autox questions...advice

Old 11-05-2001, 01:57 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by calc

Not trying to be a smartass here, but I'm wondering if you meant only once in an S2k, since if you had only autoxed once, my guess would be that you wouldn't have a lot of expertise to offer.

cal
This is just a guess but going by his sig I would think he meant in an S2000. Looks as if he's done okay in his Si.

Maybe I should change my sig to show my regional championships over the last several years in BS and AS. Naa, them people could figure out who I am too easily.
Old 11-05-2001, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer

3) when entering a sharp corner is it better to brake early and carry more speed through the turn or jam late? - I don't like to upset my car too much by jamming on the brakes at the last minute. Also never jam on the brakes and turn at the same time unless you mean it
If you don't "wait till you see God and then brake", you're losing time significantly. Without trying to put too fine a point on it, you should be on the gas fully until you're on the brakes fully. Of course, there's always exceptions but the point is that "jamming" the brakes on is a Good Thing - the ABS should be fully engaged. Do this while still going straight and then turn, as you say.
Old 11-05-2001, 03:44 PM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
9) what mods are legal for the A stock class? - ...4/5 point harness[/url]

Actually, unless the rules have changed recently, you can not use any aftermarket harness or other "Upper body restraints"in an open-top car unless it also has a SCCA compliant rollbar (which the S2000 does not).

Discussed some time ago in this thread:

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...=&threadid=6563
Old 11-05-2001, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by CG

This is just a guess but going by his sig I would think he meant in an S2000. Looks as if he's done okay in his Si.
Sig? Who reads sigs?

Actually, I noticed it after I posted my message, but figured my meaning was clear and he wouldn't be offended.

cal
Old 11-05-2001, 04:22 PM

Jeff, you seem to have better success than I at a concept I believe in. When you're on the gas, be on it 100%. When you're on the brakes, be on it 100%. That was easier to do in my old GSR. I find more opportunities to carry speed in the S2K and I end up feathering the gas more often. But as beginner-advice goes that's a big one I agree with, get your car to accelerate or brake as much as possible.

Another one, that took me a year or so to get right in my GSR, is brake as much as possible in a straight line. That prevents understeer/oversteer (entering too hot/hitting brakes in mid-turn).

Third tip, get a local hot-shoe to drive your car while you're a passenger. It can open your eyes to just how fast you can navigate your ride and what driving on the edge feels like. You probably won't believe it until you see and feel it for yourself.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Penforhire
[B]Jeff, you seem to have better success than I at a concept I believe in.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:28 AM

Also remember that getting on to the throttle needs to be done smoooothly, especially when exiting corners.

One analogy I've heard is to imagine a string connecting your upper hand on the steering wheel to your right toe. As you unwind the steering wheel, your hand comes down, and you foot can press more on the accelerator.

Ted
Old 11-06-2001, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by calc

Not trying to be a smartass here, but I'm wondering if you meant only once in an S2k, since if you had only autoxed once, my guess would be that you wouldn't have a lot of expertise to offer.

cal
Sorry didn't word that right I only autocrossed once in an S2000 I've been autocrossing for about 5 years now - mostly FWD, and a couple of RWDs.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:55 AM

Legend1,

EVOLUTION Driving school!
http://www.autocross.com/evolution/

Sign up for the 2 day class in the spring, you will not regret it. My roomate took it last year and was able to shave a couple of seconds off in each event. I have only been to 2 races this year. Rookie also. I was only .5 seconds behind the leader in each event. -with street tires! With this car you will have no problems competing especially with a set of rubber. (I am quite suprised S2000 stayed in its class this year)

-slower is quicker! - don't ask it just works?

Derrick