S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

autox questions...advice

Old 10-31-2001, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autox questions...advice

1) how do you guys launch at the start? RPMs etc.?
2) is it optimum to stay in vtec during the entire lap ( above 6k rpm)? i have only autocrossed once a couple of weeks ago and i never got out of 2nd gear.
3) when entering a sharp corner is it better to brake early and carry more speed through the turn or jam late?
4) this goes without asking but avoiding the rev limiter by shifting a tad early would have worked better for me on my last run. it was my best one, how much time did i lose by hitting the limiter in first gear which caused the engine to shut down momentarily?
5) are the stock tires adequate for autox?
6) top up or down?
7) what is the single best tip
to help a rookie improve?
8) how hard on the car is this event?
9) what mods are legal for the A stock class?
10) my times for each of the nine runs were lower for each successive run. my first lap was 43.88 while my last one was 37.75. The class winners best lap was 35.25. Can I expect to improve at this same rate at the next event and how along
before i plateau or hit the wall?
Thanks, any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:12 PM

1. Modulate throttle to maintain around 6000 rpm. Do not slip the clutch at this rpm.
2. Yes, unless less than 2 seconds below vtec or when not at full throttle
3. Brake, then get on the throttle as you exit
4. Hitting the rev limiter normally doesn't cost much time, but fuel starvation which can occur at < 1/2 tank is much worse.
5. No, but driver skill is more important.
6. Top down except in a rainstorm.
7. Look ahead for the next turn.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:51 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seat time!
Old 11-01-2001, 02:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) I'm still easy on the clutch at the start. When my times in the rest of the course begin to warrant smokey burn-outs, I'll consider them at that time

2) Yes, what Randy said.

3) Depends on the turn. Some you want to power around and others will require more braking to prevent you from carrying too much speed and pushing.

4) ? Again, depends on the situation. I usually avoid the rev limiter by shifting, but if close to the next turn where there was a need to use first, just modulate the throttle.

5) Adequate - yes, optimal - no. I used stock tire for my first half-season but then invested in dedicated wheels and tires in the middle of this year. I had to re-learn the limits because of their phenomenal grip (except in the rain ). Tires are the single most significant mechanical upgrade that you can do for the car.

6) Down, unless it's raining.

7) Like CG said, seat time!

8) Harder than leisurely comutes, but most of us haven't broken anything ... yet .

9) Any DOT tire that fits the stock rim, Front swaybar swap, brake pads, shocks, thermostat, radiator cap, (and other items?) are allowed. In my opinion switching the tires and swapping to a more robust front bar are the most effective.

10) The learning curve is steep at first, but then slows down. Be persistent - get fast!

11) Have Fun!
Old 11-01-2001, 04:50 AM
CG

1) how do you guys launch at the start? RPMs etc.?

95% of the regional courses I've run have had a turn right after the start so I've been able to always use a quick street start.

2) is it optimum to stay in vtec during the entire lap ( above 6k rpm)? i have only autocrossed once a couple of weeks ago and i never got out of 2nd gear.

I try to stay in vtec as much as I can. Sometimes it's just not worth it to shift. Probably on most courses you'll never need 3rd gear or you'll need it very little. The courses I ran last Sat/Sun had about 50% 3rd gear vtec speeds.

3) when entering a sharp corner is it better to brake early and carry more speed through the turn or jam late?

Complete your braking while going straight.

4) this goes without asking but avoiding the rev limiter by shifting a tad early would have worked better for me on my last run. it was my best one, how much time did i lose by hitting the limiter in first gear which caused the engine to shut down momentarily?

My guess is that you would have lost more time by shifting.

5) are the stock tires adequate for autox?

I'm a firm believer in learning the car on street tires for several months or even a season before switching to race rubber. The street tires aren't as sticky or as fast as the race tires but you will learn car control much faster. The downside is that the stock S02's cost more than Kumhos.

6) top up or down?

Down unless very heavy rain or lots of standing water.

to help a rookie improve?

Again, seat time. Go to as many events as you can, talk to the "hot shoes" ride with them if you can in their cars or yours. It's really a shock the first time you think you're really doing well and you let someone else drive your car and they go 2 or 3 seconds faster than your best.

8) how hard on the car is this event?

It depends somewhat on the driver. If you feel like you're beating the car up you probably are. Personally I don't think I'm as hard on my car as many who just drive on the street. In fact, I would rather buy a well maintained used autocross car than take my chances on the "average" used car.

9) what mods are legal for the A stock class?

CoralDoc, hit all the high points except the air filter and it must fit in the stock box. There are a few other things but if we told you everything you wouldn't buy a rulebook.

10) my times for each of the nine runs were lower for each successive run. my first lap was 43.88 while my last one was 37.75. The class winners best lap was 35.25. Can I expect to improve at this same rate at the next event and how along
before i plateau or hit the wall?

I have had many ups and downs but over the long haul I've been improving for years. I expect to continue to improve for at least a few more years.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:51 AM

Not to confuse the two, but any advice on launch at the drag strip? Have come just short of 8k and droping the clutch, but still seem to have lousy launch times. Probably driver reaction time sucking. (old age reflexes possible) Any lose of time launching at lower rpm and feathering the clutch a little? Doing 15.1, but reaction is a very slow 2.14. Don't seem to be able to time launch with the light tree. Once I hit 2nd, no problem.

Pete
Old 11-01-2001, 01:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by junkyard dawg
[B]Not to confuse the two, but any advice on launch at the drag strip?
Old 11-01-2001, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CG

My guess is that you would have lost more time by shifting. [/B]
I think he meant he had to shift anyway, but didn't manage to shift before bumping the limiter.

But to argue the point that you made, you should always shift up if you have the opportunity to, and it doesn't distract you or upset the car. There is a brief period when you're not accelerating during the shift, but if you don't shift then there's a long period of not accelerating while you ride the limiter. And shifting back down doesn't cost you any time because it's done while you're braking.

What's more debatable is when to shift down. If you shift down, then you're pretty much guaranteeing that you'll have to make an upshift the next time you get to accelerate. You have to figure out whether the lesser acceleration from carrying a higher gear through the corner is worse than a half second to a second of no acceleration while you shift in the next straight.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Orthonormal
[B]But to argue the point that you made, you should always shift up if you have the opportunity to, and it doesn't distract you or upset the car.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:40 PM
CG

Originally posted by Orthonormal
I think he meant he had to shift anyway, but didn't manage to shift before bumping the limiter.

But to argue the point that you made
Okay, I probably did mis-read what he meant. Still, if he just bumped the limiter one time it shouldn't have cost him much. Of course in autoX every .001 counts. I know some drivers who use the limiter to tell them when to shift. Personally I prefer not to hit it unless I'm 10 feet from hitting the binders.

Now to argue the point that I made. I'm not sure I really made a point.

Quick Reply: autox questions...advice