S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

AutoX prep advice

Old 05-30-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoX prep advice

Looking to really getting into autox starting this season and going forward (2003 S2000). Competed a bit casually the last couple years, but really want to get serious about it. Bunch of questions/requests for advice:

-What class should I target? It's my understanding that the AP2's outperform AP1's in BS with wider wheel/tire options, but will I really notice this unless competing at a very high level? Are AP1's more competitive in STR? Other classes are probably out of budget, but any others I should consider? Is it hopeless in an AP1 and I should just go out and have fun?

-Given the class advice from above, what wheel/tire recommendations do you have? Are the stock AP1 wheels competitive in BS? Go up to 17" to get that little extra width on tires?

-Front sway bar: Heard good things about Karcepts and Gendron. Moddiction is out of stock it seems but would that be comparable to the big two on stiff setting? Is it ever going to be available again?

Anyway, I appreciate any input and will be checking this to answer questions! Thanks
Old 05-30-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Serious locally or Nationally?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The ap1 is an underdog on a national level but can get it done if set up right and driven right. Its what you have so work with it.
Build for str because the extra wheel and tire makes it worth it alone. And the extra wheel diameter allowance in BS wont get you any more tire because the width has to stay the same and within a few mm of offset.
Buy a karcepts bar or find a used big boy bar, the moddiction/saner isnt going to cut it, in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
...the moddiction/saner isnt going to cut it, in my opinion.
I used to think the same thing, but now I don't agree with this statement.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:10 AM

If you're buying new, I think buying the Karcepts is a no-brainer, largely because the resale is so much higher. I imagine once you've sold it, the bars cost much the same, especially since the Saner/Moddiction is so heavy that shipping it isn't terribly practical.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess it depends how much $ you are willing to spend.i run in str and am on rpf1 with rez1r kwv3 and f and r gender on sways and lots of seat time. Bs would be less money with a front sway some Komi yellows valved and some good tires and some seat time seat time and seat time.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by robinson
Serious locally or Nationally?
Well locally at first, just trying to future-proof purchases. Don't want to spend on BS stuff and regret it later.

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
...the moddiction/saner isnt going to cut it, in my opinion.
I used to think the same thing, but now I don't agree with this statement.
I notice most on this forum run about halfway on the Karcept bar, which puts them in the 900 lbs/in range. Saner maxes at 740 according to website, which is clearly much higher than ~300 stock. For almost twice the price new, I'm just not sure if that extra 150 lbs/in is worth it

Originally Posted by summitrider2012
I guess it depends how much $ you are willing to spend.i run in str and am on rpf1 with rez1r kwv3 and f and r gender on sways and lots of seat time. Bs would be less money with a front sway some Komi yellows valved and some good tires and some seat time seat time and seat time.
So for BS is this consensus to just use OEM wheels? Are there any popular 6.5/7.5 width wheels for Bstreet?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Willverstone
Well locally at first, just trying to future-proof purchases. Don't want to spend on BS stuff and regret it later. I notice most on this forum run about halfway on the Karcept bar, which puts them in the 900 lbs/in range. Saner maxes at 740 according to website, which is clearly much higher than ~300 stock. For almost twice the price new, I'm just not sure if that extra 150 lbs/in is worth it So for BS is this consensus to just use OEM wheels? Are there any popular 6.5/7.5 width wheels for Bstreet?
Overall, I would say the AP1 S2000 has no chance against the Corvette in BS. Moving to STR closes the performance gap some, but the AP1 is still an underdog.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Willverstone
Well locally at first, just trying to future-proof purchases. Don't want to spend on BS stuff and regret it later. I notice most on this forum run about halfway on the Karcept bar, which puts them in the 900 lbs/in range. Saner maxes at 740 according to website, which is clearly much higher than ~300 stock. For almost twice the price new, I'm just not sure if that extra 150 lbs/in is worth it So for BS is this consensus to just use OEM wheels? Are there any popular 6.5/7.5 width wheels for Bstreet?
Overall, I would say the AP1 S2000 has no chance against the Corvette in BS. Moving to STR closes the performance gap some, but the AP1 is still an underdog.
+1

The car will fair far better in STR trim but it's still going to get out accelerated anytime/anywhere you are flat compared to the AP2. Being a madman with 1st gear downshifting will help and is critical especially on local lots. The AP1 is a blast to drive, enjoy it.

I recommend the following for a fun AP1 STR car on a budget:

17x9 w/ 255 71R, or try a 245 if it shortens gearing
900/800 coilover, may need front camber adder, alignment suit to taste
Karcepts front bar
ECU tune with lowered VTEC engagement point (Greddy Emanage, VAFC)for catback exhaust

everything else in incremental from there and weight savings (seats, battery, header, highflow cat, cheap intake etc.)
Old 06-04-2016, 03:11 PM

So I think what I'm going to do is run B Street on stock wheels for now. I wanted to get dedicated AutoX wheels so I'm not burning up the sticky tires on the road, so I think I'll just go ahead and grab 17x9s and street those for the time being on hard tires, while making the stock wheels the "dedicated autox" wheels on 71R. I'll probably spring for the Gendron or Karcept (especially if I can get a used one). This way, in the future I can switch to the 17x9s and go STR.

Quick Reply: AutoX prep advice