S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Autocross suspension

Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andre, the most significant advantage you'll get out of aftermarket shocks that still must be paired with the stock springs is the adjustability. In stock class, your adjustment options are pretty limited and this one of the easier ways to dail in your car for the particular course you are on.

If you spend the big bucks on sets with custom valving, you can actually get more of a benefit. I haven't run on a setup like this, so I can't say wether you would be able to feel it or not.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,May 1 2007, 09:23 AM
Andre, the most significant advantage you'll get out of aftermarket shocks that still must be paired with the stock springs is the adjustability. In stock class, your adjustment options are pretty limited and this one of the easier ways to dail in your car for the particular course you are on.

If you spend the big bucks on sets with custom valving, you can actually get more of a benefit. I haven't run on a setup like this, so I can't say wether you would be able to feel it or not.
Sorry if these are noob questions but I just recently caught the Auto-X Bug and still trying to learn some things...

What kind of adjustability can you get out of the shocks other than dampening adjustments and rebound?

Andre
Old 05-01-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB,Apr 16 2007, 09:24 PM
arent the spring rates on the PSS9 stiffer than stock?
Yes, but they are considered one of the softer coilovers. I believe PSS9's are in the 300lb range while most others are in the 500lb range.

I think PSS9's are absolutely fine unless you're gonna be autocrossing and tracking ALL the time.

I think there's more to be had by playing around with front sway bar setups when dealing with auto-x.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,May 1 2007, 09:34 AM
Sorry if these are noob questions but I just recently caught the Auto-X Bug and still trying to learn some things...

What kind of adjustability can you get out of the shocks other than dampening adjustments and rebound?

Andre
That's about it.

Depending on the shock you get, you can get adjustments for both compression and rebound at hight or low speeds (4 total). However, in stock class you are limited to shocks with 2 total external adjustments. Most single or double adjustables will let you control the low speed characteristics (the ones that relate to keeping traction during weight transfer versus during bumps). The rate at which weight transfers on or off the front or rear wheels can affect the balance of your car in different parts of a corner. That is what you are getting out of the adjustable shocks.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,May 1 2007, 10:15 AM
That's about it.

Depending on the shock you get, you can get adjustments for both compression and rebound at hight or low speeds (4 total). However, in stock class you are limited to shocks with 2 total external adjustments. Most single or double adjustables will let you control the low speed characteristics (the ones that relate to keeping traction during weight transfer versus during bumps). The rate at which weight transfers on or off the front or rear wheels can affect the balance of your car in different parts of a corner. That is what you are getting out of the adjustable shocks.
Thank You.

That isn't much adjustability but it will go a long way to make a difference.

Andre
Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjustibility is not the main thing you are looking for. You are looking for aggressive dampening that act like a spring. Since you can't change your springs in A-stock, but you can change your shocks, people run really slow vavled shocks to make the car more level durring transition. This can vastly improve slalom times and offsets. It won't do much for long sweepers though since your springs and swaybars are the only thing that affect body roll.

I heard that koni is possibly working on an auto-x specific valving for their yellows. The OTS yellows are a bit under damped in the compression direction if you ask me. I do think the rebound valving is pretty good though.

I've owned both a set of Motons and a set of OTS konis. The compression adjustment of the Motons made them superior by far but thats about it. If you can get the konis revalved with more compression up front, that's what I'd pick based on budget.

Now, if you don't give a damn about winning or staying in a competitive class I would go ahead and get some koni yellows grouped with some skunk2 coilovers since they are cheap and I actually prefer the two locking rings to the Ground control system of a pinch bolt perch. I would choose spring rates in the 10k front and 8k rear variety for your purposes. Just remember, if you lower your car at all, you will scrape the front on stuff.

Good luck.