S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

autocross steering technique?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default autocross steering technique?

I usually keep my hands at 10-2 thumbs not inside but I was doing a course with quick slalom the other week I was having a problem getting enough lock on like this
so I started out with my hands nearer about 8-4 on the wheel, felt a bit weird but I got thru the slaloms a lot better

anyone else do this? any steering tips for autocrossing?

Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried 3 and 9?

This is mostly a personal preference if you are comfortable with driving that way. But I would think that having your hands too close together is similar to driving with one hand, especially in slalom. In addition, the steering wheel on the s2000 is smaller than most cars, so having a 10/2 position is probably a bit too close. I would think 8/4 position is just the same.

With the steering ratio on this car, you shouldn't have to turn too much going through slalom if you start the slalom correctly.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pre-turning ... other than slaloms
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to keep mine at 9 and 3 also. I keep my thumbs in contact with the steering wheel along the outside edge, almost tangent. I don't wrap them around. I like the more contact personally. I try to shuffle steer, but I don't do it all the time from lack of practice
Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 AM

I don't think there's a huge disadvantage to driving at 10/2, but I much prefer 9/3 simply because I feel I have more control with my arms in that position. Plus the s2k wheel just fits perfectly at 9/3.

Pre-turning and shuffle-steering are good ways to not get yourself caught up in tighter corners. Nothing worse than turning a slide into a spin because your hands were in the wrong position. It might take some brain power at first, but after a while it becomes second nature. I usually don't have a clue what I'm actually doing with my hands until I watch my videos.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 AM

+1 for pre-turning. As long as you get your turning done as early as possible, I've never had to let go of the steering wheel through a slalom. If you get behind on your steering inputs you will have to use more and more steering to get through the slalom. Don't try to put your car in the middle of the space between the cones, instead try to drive over the backside of the cones.

However, if you're pre-turning, driving smoothly and you still need have to shift your hands on the wheel to survive the slalom, then it sounds like you need to have a chat with your course designer for making it too tight.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If you need to move your hands from 9 and 3 in a S2000 that's a very messed up slalom (i.e. way too tight). The S has one of the fastest steering ratios I've ever driven in a car and I almost never have to take my hands out of position except to shuffle steer for a pin turn. Now driving a slow manual steering rack Elise or Miata is a different story.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Sep 26 2008, 01:14 PM
Now driving a slow manual steering rack Elise or Miata is a different story.
Really? The Elise has slower steering?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 PM

Yes, the Elise steering is a very slow rack, to make up for the fact that it is manual. I personally think they went a bit overboard. I would have put up with greater steering effort for a bit more feedback and a quicker ratio.

I always keep the outside hand planted on the spoke at 9 or 3 and let the inside hand slide when it needs to. Here's a video that should give you an idea of what I do.

Weird that you're having trouble in slaloms, they really don't take that much steering. Unless you're in a Nissan...(ask if you're curious)
Old 09-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Orthonormal,Sep 26 2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, the Elise steering is a very slow rack, to make up for the fact that it is manual. I personally think they went a bit overboard. I would have put up with greater steering effort for a bit more feedback and a quicker ratio.

I always keep the outside hand planted on the spoke at 9 or 3 and let the inside hand slide when it needs to. Here's a video that should give you an idea of what I do.

Weird that you're having trouble in slaloms, they really don't take that much steering. Unless you're in a Nissan...(ask if you're curious)
I'm curious Never owned a Nissan

Quick Reply: autocross steering technique?