S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Autocross Rain Tires

Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross Rain Tires

What are the best rain tires for autocross? How do the Hoosier Wets compare to brand new Victor Racers? I have 16 inch wheels if that makes a difference in available tire choices.

How long are the Hoosier Wets competitive if you store them (in plastic trash bags) and don't wind up driving on them very often? I live in California so there aren't that many events that have rain (with the exception of this year).

If I get the Hoosier Wets, should I shave them or leave them at full tread?

Old 07-20-2005, 04:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a question like yours on the SCCA DC Region email listserve and several people said the Hoosier wets are the best.

Warren
Old 07-20-2005, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...though I believe you have to be a Hoosier driver (run the AS40X's) to get them.

Correct?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:08 AM

That's one I've never heard. And I have a set, brand new, just scuffed to get the mold release off, for sale if you can't get them from Hoosier. Though shipping to CA won't be free
Old 07-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Wasn't someone running Bridgestone S-03s (the street tires) as rains at some National level events with a lot of sucess? (Jason Siani, maybe?)

Andrew
Old 07-20-2005, 10:55 AM

Yep, in the downpour at Nat'l in '03, Saini went very quick with the 'stones on the car
Old 07-20-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So that would imply that the best wet tires are whichever tires are mounted to the wheels of the smoothest driver.....
Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 AM

^^^ I've never driven on the Hoosier rain tires. So I can't really coment there. But I have driven on full-tread Victoracers in light rain. And I have also driven on S-03s on my old STS car in light rain, and I can tell you that S-03s offer far superior grip to full-tread Victoracers in the wet. For pooling water, the hydroplane resistance is also obviously better with the S-03s than the Victoracers, due to the much deeper tread and better channling design.

Andrew
Old 07-21-2005, 04:41 AM

..but I believe it rained HARD in '03. One of the local guys I was rooting for was badly affected by it as I believe he didn't have wets. I've found that all the autocross compounds that I've used have been better in light rain with no standing water than streets.

The question would be, how are dedicated wets in light rain vs the reguar r-comps?

...and if it rains at Nats this year - do we have an STI or EVO as AS champ?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:41 AM

The rule of thumb is that, if the ground is wet but there is no standing water, R-compounds should still be faster than rain tires.

By all accounts (I've never run them myself, although I had a set ready for action all last year), the Hoosier Wets are vastly faster than any street tire in the rain.

Although the AWD cars should do better in the rain, I don't believe we've seen any suddenly leap to the top of the pack when it's rained at national level events. There are very few top drivers campaigning either the Evo or STi nationally, so even if it did rain in Topeka, there might not be anyone present with the right car to capitalize.

Steve

Quick Reply: Autocross Rain Tires