S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Autocross Brake Pads

Old 10-30-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross Brake Pads

So I know the brake pad topic has been beaten to death on this forum I can't find a discussion on brake pads for *autocross*.

Are the stock pads really the best?

I'd really like to get something that would grab better than stock from ambient to warm AND would still work for an occasional track day.

Panther Plus? R4? HPPlus?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

r
Old 10-30-2002, 11:50 AM
jzr

Porterfield R4S is just what you need. Grabs harder than stock, and will stand up to light track duty. You don't want the R4, which needs to be really hot to work right.

Supposedly Carbotech or somebody makes an autocross-specific pad, the HP-X or something like that, can't remember. Don't recall anybody ever having posted about using them.

I've used a few different pads at the autocross, and have settled on the stockers. There's a tradeoff in grip/feel - I don't think one pad is any faster than the other, it's more a matter of what your feet prefer.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]Porterfield R4S is just what you need.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:25 PM

Hawk offers a pad called the HP+. They designate that pad as a autocross pad. You may want to check that out as well.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:15 PM

Call King and try the Pagid autocross compound... we've been extremely happy with them. The only drawback is they create allot of dust, but they grab very well, have good pedal feel and a ton of stopping power. I've tried stock, R4S, and Panther+ and the Pagids are my favorite.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:58 AM

You may want to call Andie at Cobalt Friction, who used to be with Carbotech. I've run Hawk HPS, Hawk HP+, and now Axxis Ultimate (not to be confused with the Deluxe).

I found the Axxis pads to the as good as the HP+ on the street in bite and braking tq once into the pedal, with less dusting, no noise, and lower price. I believe they are recommended for autox applications, although I'm not an autoxer (more of a track hound, separate track pads for that venue).
Old 10-31-2002, 03:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rzrsedg
[B]

I've tried the R4S - and I really didn't like them.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:22 AM

Friction material does have different compression characteristics. Has anyone tried AEM's pads? They are more agressive than the stock, but they are manufactured by us (Nissin).
Old 10-31-2002, 05:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SR71BB
[B]Has anyone tried AEM's pads?
Old 10-31-2002, 07:38 AM

I run the R4-S for autocross and they work perfectly, I prefer them over stock. Otherwise, I would reccommend Axxis Ultimates or Ferodo DS2500. Off topic, my R4-S pads were mushy as well at Summit Point and Pocono (each time with a fresh fluid change). I don't think it was the pads, rather I think it was the fluid being too hot. If the pads were failing, I think you'd get a thuddering under braking as if your rotors were warping (from the gasses being released and not being able to escape from between the pad and rotor surface). This is my opinion.

Quick Reply: Autocross Brake Pads