S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Auto-X: How do you warm up your car and keep it there?

Old 06-16-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto-X: How do you warm up your car and keep it there?

I will be auto-xing my car for the first time this month and have a concern about this. I think a number of us will agree that the best and smoothest shifting occurs with the car warmed up. In my case I am using Redline MTL which shifts best after the car has warmed up for 30 minutes or more, even when it's over 100F. This may just be my specific transmission build because the Honda MTF behaved about the same way.

I guess my question is really has two parts...

1. For auto-xing, how do get your car warmed up the car and keep it there?
2. I know this has been discussed a lot, but do you have a recommendation for transmission fluid that will provide smoother shifts when the car is not fully warmed up?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the track we often put a car up on jackstands, put it in gear and run it. Unfortunately, cruise control doesn't work when only the drive wheels are spinning, so it requires a driver (not a bad idea anyways in case something happens - seriously, even jackstands can fail). 4th gear at 2k-3k rpm for 5-10 minutes will help all the fluids get warmed up. Be sure to leave the rear wheels/tires on though, the diff doesn't like to be unloaded (you'll hear some funny noises).

UL
Old 06-16-2004, 09:46 PM
jzr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UL's method I see often used at the dragstrip and occasionally at the track.

Unfortunately the SCCA very recently banned this behavior (car running and in gear with drive wheels in the air) due to safety concerns - both in the grid and in the pits. People would also do it to help clean/scrape off their tires...
1) Effective 1/1/2005, add the following
as new section 1.4.O: "Cars may not
be off the ground, in gear, while running
for tire shaving/cleaning or other reasons.
I would just drive around wherever you are for 5+ minutes before it's your turn to run, do some shifting, and if you're still concerned, leave the car idling in grid. Most of the heat will stay in the parts for the ~10-15 minutes you have between runs. Plus you're in Tucson.

I've had best my best cold/ambient-temp shifting experiences with fresh Honda MTF. YMMV...
Old 06-17-2004, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
UL's method I see often used at the dragstrip and occasionally at the track.

Unfortunately the SCCA very recently banned this behavior (car running and in gear with drive wheels in the air) due to safety concerns - both in the grid and in the pits.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jguerdat
Frankly, I don't worry about the warming of the transmission. You really shouldn't be shifting that much and you may need to just use a bit more force if it's cold. In the heat of battle I don't even think about whether the shift is notchy - I have far too many other things to think about.
I had similar thoughts, but I wanted to see what people may do since it is a characteristic of this car.

I went out to eat tonight and after being in the restaurant for over an hour the temp guage still was at three bars when I started the engine. It was about 85-90F and dry.

Thanks