S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Auto-X

Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-X

The SCCA held an auto-x last week at Warminster Park.
I had never been to an event like this before & thought it was pretty cool. Best times were run by a Porsche & Corvette. ( 53-54 sec.)
Was thinking about running MY01 in the afternnon session, but since I am a novice, I thought I should learn a little more before trying it.
Anyone have experienece running their S?
Also, I have some questions:
What is course walking?
What is the best tire pressure to use with S02's? (they say to put in 10-15 extra psi)
What car class is the S or would I be in a novice class?
Does this type of driving have any negative effects on the S? (besides tire wear)
What is the best launch technique? (4000 rpm?)
Should you go fast & break hard or ease back & avoid breaking through the course?
Should you be in 2nd most of the time?
Would you suggest an instructor ride-along for the first time?
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank guys...

Old 09-05-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=172595

Check out racing and comptetition forum also.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 AM

That's a lot of questions. There is a "Racing and Competition Forum" below which is dedicated to questions like this. It will probably be moved there but I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Walking the course helps you know what turns are coming ahead so you can prepare your car while you're driving.

I just heard someone say 38-40 psi hot for S02 tire pressures.

If your car is stock and you're a novice it would be in A Stock Novice.

Negative effects? Just tire wear, but that is what this car was made for.

Just launch somewhat aggresively depending on how much of a straight you have at the beginning. Some say you have to rev to 6,000.

Driving is a tradeoff but usually you want to go hard, brake late to maximize speed but beware of your tire grip, some times you just have to ease of the accelerator in to the corner.

Second would be a good place to start, probably use 1, 2 and maybe 3 in an autox course. Just keep it in second while you're learning and once you get better you'll want to try 1st and 2nd.

Definitely get someone to go with you to give you some pointers. Go make friends but try to be aware of the other person's time and perhaps they'd like to be setting up their car instead of driving with you. Most guys won't mind spending a few minutes with a new guy.

Just go easy your first time, get used to the car, the rules, the way you're supposed to enter and exit the course, remember safety. Then start speeding up and you'll have a lot of fun.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to walk the course before you take your first drive. Rules stipulate that you cannot take a wheeled vehicle through the course unless you are not physically capable of walking...and then it must be at walking speed. EDIT: This is only applies before the event, of course once it starts, you will be in the car.

Tires are expensive, and will get more expensive (in a sense). Keep this in mind when launching.
I have never run S02s at an autocross.

If your car is stock +/- catback exhaust, then you'd be in AS (A Stock). If you've done some basic mods (i.e. Intake), then you'd be in BSP (B Street Prepared)

Accelerate hard and brake hard. You should stay in second on your first run to get acquinted with your car. Then you should judge which gear is best. I always downshift into first on the tight corners, but you should try to learn how to double-clutch (though I'm not very good at it) to save the first gear synchronizers.

Definitely have an experienced AXer ride along with you...and even ride with them.

Look FAR ahead of where you're headed.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by RED S2K HEAVEN,Sep 5 2006, 01:01 PM
I had never been to an event like this before & thought it was pretty cool. Best times were run by a Porsche & Corvette. ( 53-54 sec.)
Was thinking about running MY01 in the afternnon session, but since I am a novice, I thought I should learn a little more before trying it.
The moderators may move this to the Racing and Competition board, but I hope they leave it here in the general forum, because I think it might get a few more owners interested in autocrossing. Those of you who have never tried it don't know what you're missing.

We have lots of autocrossers here on S2kI, including some national solo champions. The S2000 excells at the sport.

What is course walking?
Before an event we walk around the course to see what it looks like. With experience you'll learn about all sorts of things to look for during your walkthrough, but for now just focus on getting a look at the course so you won't get lost when you try to drive through it quickly. Walk the course several times so you won't get lost when it counts.

What is the best tire pressure to use with S02's? (they say to put in 10-15 extra psi)[/
If you are running the OEM tires you should start at 32 PSI all round. Later on you'll want to fine tune your tire pressures, but you don't need to be worrying about that during your first few events.

Does this type of driving have any negative effects on the S? (besides tire wear)
As long as you autocross on OEM tires or other tires that don't generate a great deal more cornering force, there are no major issues. Tires will wear out faster, and things like wheel bearings are more heavily loaded, but overall reliability won't be affected noticably. If you go to R compound tires or slicks then there are so me issues you'll have to address, but that's also something you don't need to worry about during your first few events.

Until you go to something like an Evolution School you probably won't believe this, but at your level you need to launch gently and get into second gear as soon as possible. If possible you want to be in second gear before you enter the first corner.

I know that probably sounds all wrong, but you will only be fast if you are smooth, and it is infinitely easier to be smooth in second gear. At your first event, try making a few runs in first (and second if you are forced to shift), and then try a few runs doing what I've suggested. When you're making the runs in second gear, drive *slow enough* so that the car doesn't slide AT ALL. Go as fast as you can without any sliding, and if the choice is between going slower or sliding, go slower. Don't look at corner you are taking, but rather look ahead to the next corner and focus on getting the car positioned to take it. If you look ahead far enough everything will slow down, and you'll turn quicker times as a result.

Should you go fast & break hard or ease back & avoid breaking through the course?
The basic rule is, "Slow in, fast out." Later on you will want to learn a host of advanced techniques, but right now you need to focus on the basics. Do all your breaking in a straight line, before you turn in. Use a late apex and *squeeze* the throttle *gently* as you accelerate off the turns. If a tire slides notiably it's costing you time.

Yes.

There is no substitute for a good mentor. Some of the absoloute best training you can get can be had at the Evolution Schools. The instructors are all multi-time national solo champions, and each student gets a customized experiece that focuses on the areas that will do the most to make them quicker. The ranks of national solo champions is full of people who were first Evolution students. Evolution schools are usually sponsored by local SCCA regions, so check with the SCCA people in your area to find out when and where you can attend one of the schools. A Phase I school can shave several seconds off most unschooled drivers times. Cost varies by region.

Thank guys...

Some old addages:

Slow hands win. (You will be amazed at how slowly you can operate the controls while turning quick laps.)

To go fast you have to know when to go slow. (The biggest problem most people have is either underdriving the car as a total beginner, or overdriving it once they get a little confidance. Sliding a car around the course *looks* and *feels* fast, but it's not the way to take home the trophiles.)

Slow in, fast out. (You want to go into the turns slow enough to make a fast exit. Fast exits result in better times, while overcooking it on corner entry results in slower times.)

Look ahead. (If you look at the turn you're taking you'll always be behind the car and things will happen too quickly to turn quick laps easily and consistently. Look at the turn ahead, or even two or more turns ahead. Focus on where you want to be next, rather than where you are at the moment. Think about walking through a crowded mall; You look ahead at your destination, yet somehow you manage to walk through the crowd without looking directly at the people, and you do it without running into anyone. On the autocross course you want to learn to do the same thing. Look ahead, and let your instincts keep you off the pylons. Doing so will slow everything down and make turning quick laps infinitely easier.)

If you can look ahead and think ahead, and avoid overdriving or underdriving the car, you'll be turning competitive laps in no time. All it takes is practice and focus (and that focus has to be on what is next, not what you're doing at the moment).

Finally, there is no substitute for seat time, and if you want to run with the big dogs you need to practice constantly. On the street you can practice being smooth, looking ahead, and many other things that don't require you do drive like a lunatic on public roads.

Of course the absolute best thing you can do to improve your skill level is to attend a good autocross school like Evolution.

Welcome to the sport!!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 PM

Great thread ... subscribing to this!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:50 PM

Some of you may find some of the following links useful or informative:

http://www.oregonpca.org/Library/Aut...iving_tips.htm

http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/autoxtips/autoxtips.htm

http://www.ner.org/Solo/whatissolo.htm

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/d/r/drk150/autox/
Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see RED MX5 has assigned you a bunch of reading so I'll try to keep it simple.

WALK THE COURSE!!!! As many times as you can. The object of running an event is to have fun and it is not fun to get lost on course.

If the region allows passengers, ride with experienced drivers and ask them to ride with you.

Your greatest improvements will come with seat time and a couple of drivers' schools. I would take a couple of club schools before spending the big bucks on the Evolution school. If you are near a large region, they will probably have national level drivers for instructors. Our Atlanta Region schools are usually around $50. I think Evolution is about $250. Our club school, you get an instructor that probably brought home a trophy from Nationals, just not the big one.

Do not modify your car until you read the rule book!!! You may do some minor thing that will put you in a class that you dont want to be in. Something as simple as a strut tower brace can move you from stock to a street prepared class. Street prepared cars are race cars with air bags.

If you need more novice suggestions, http://www.soloatlanta.com/ has a Novice FAQ page.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:36 AM

What is course walking?
What is the best tire pressure to use with S02's? (they say to put in 10-15 extra psi)
Thank guys...

Are you talking about Warminster, PA? Philly Region SCCA is running there again this weekend on Sunday (Sept 10th).

I have a red 00 S2000, and I also am an instructor with Philly Region. I'll be there on Sun, and I'd be happy to show you around and help you out.

Andrew K
Old 09-07-2006, 12:31 PM

Are you talking about Warminster, PA? Philly Region SCCA is running there again this weekend on Sunday (Sept 10th).

I have a red 00 S2000, and I also am an instructor with Philly Region. I'll be there on Sun, and I'd be happy to show you around and help you out.

Andrew K

Hey Andrew:
I'd love to meet you, but am going on the New Hope Run Sun. 9/10
THe next SCCA auto-x at Warminster is 11/5. I 'll meet you then if you'll be there.
Thanks a lot....

Fred S

Quick Reply: Auto-X