S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Auto-x in 1st gear only?

Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-x in 1st gear only?

Hi,
Does Auto-x'ing in 1st gear only harm the engine or trans? The reason I'm saying this is because the Auto-X track in my area is very small with lots of low speed turns and only two straights where I can hit 35mph max, so you don't need to shift to 2nd, So I'll just keep running in 1st gear for like 2 minutes till finishing the lap.

So I was wondering, Does Auto-x'ing in 1st gear only harm the engine or trans or anything? or it's fine?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM

IMO the only thing that you'd have to watch out for is heat build-up- depending on how many runs you're doing and how long you're waiting between them. The radiator/transmission/diff won't cool themselves as effectively at such low speeds. If it's a typical SCCA style event, with four runs spaced 5-10 minutes apart, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

That being said, you may find the car is a little easier to drive in 2nd gear, at least while you're learning, as it will reduce the effect of small throttle changes on the car's weight balance and slip velocity.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:47 PM

I got to see video from this venue...
Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM

I did an event this past weekend which was 80% first gear. Totally sucked. Not much more to say except I won't return to the venue unless they expand their surface area and speeds.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM

In Albuquerque, our local lots are almost all 1st gear only also. Ive never had issues. We have other lots a couple hours away that our region uses that will use 2nd and sometimes 3rd.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:33 PM

It hasn't hurt my car.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJZiEjcfAw[/media]
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by ScandinavianFlick
IMO the only thing that you'd have to watch out for is heat build-up- depending on how many runs you're doing and how long you're waiting between them. The radiator/transmission/diff won't cool themselves as effectively at such low speeds. If it's a typical SCCA style event, with four runs spaced 5-10 minutes apart, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

That being said, you may find the car is a little easier to drive in 2nd gear, at least while you're learning, as it will reduce the effect of small throttle changes on the car's weight balance and slip velocity.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?
It's two runs back to back then relaxing the car for like 20min, after the 20min I'll go again for the next round. (Total 4-5 rounds).
Driving the car in 2nd in such a small auto-x track is totally worthless and not fun IMO, the car will bog a lot and wouldn't be in the torque band which will cause lots of time lose.
Well, I'm from Middle east - Sultanate of Oman.

Thanks for the comment
Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
I got to see video from this venue...
I got a gopro video, I will try to post it.

Thanks all for sharing, any more opinions are welcome
Old 07-16-2013, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Zeus2k
The car feels REALLY powerful in 1st gear courses. Wow would I ever be lost on that course! The track map is bordering on hilarious.

At any hot event, you'll see S2000s with the hood up and the heater at full blast. The heater is a second radiator, it really helps to cool the coolant.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by captain_pants
Originally Posted by Zeus2k' timestamp='1373949194' post='22668222
At any hot event, you'll see S2000s with the hood up and the heater at full blast. The heater is a second radiator, it really helps to cool the coolant.
there are two ways to cool the coolant. You have chosen the most uncomfortable. In Arizona, I've taken datalogs and running the AC actually decreases the coolant temps. Activates that other puller fan.

If you don't think so, pull up a laptop with Flashpro or use one of those Bluetooth ELM transmitters and a phone app like Torque for Android. at idle the Engine stress is low so running the AC motor doesn't really create much more stress. At higher RPM and tugging up a hill, it does have more of an effect.

Quick Reply: Auto-x in 1st gear only?