S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

attn: S2000 owners who track - no point mod brake upgrade that makes a difference

Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really sure what you consider real results but I'll be testing these at Buttonwillow May 13th and I'll also do a comparison of temps between these and the centrics.

I'm going to run these rotors in the morning, take my temps at the last session before lunch and then swap the pads and rotors out to the centrics.

I'll be running XR-3's with both rotors and the only variable is the centrics and second set of XR-3's have one day at t-hill on them. I don't think this will matter much and I think it'll make it easier since that set has already been bed properly so I can just install and run. I'll also bed these rotors and pads the exact same way I did the centrics.

I was talking to a buddy of mine and I asked him about the holes on the hub section and he said those are to basically make that section of the rotor weaker so that it acts more like a floating rotor. He said it helps prevent the rotor from coning, this can cause brakes to drag and cause other brake related issues. Has nothing to do with cooling but it could prevent as much heat from getting to the hub I guess?

I'll post up some pics of the pads and rotors after the track day as well as lap times so you have an idea of what they went through.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

While at the Porsche museum in Stuttgart the other day I was checking out the dual shocks on this famous Dakar Rally 959 and I noticed the brake rotors.

I had seen this before I guess the design has been around a while.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well one just cracked at buttonwillow... i dont have the rotor, a friend cracked his.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Who?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Not really sure what you consider real results but I'll be testing these at Buttonwillow May 13th and I'll also do a comparison of temps between these and the centrics.

I'm going to run these rotors in the morning, take my temps at the last session before lunch and then swap the pads and rotors out to the centrics.

I'll be running XR-3's with both rotors and the only variable is the centrics and second set of XR-3's have one day at t-hill on them. I don't think this will matter much and I think it'll make it easier since that set has already been bed properly so I can just install and run. I'll also bed these rotors and pads the exact same way I did the centrics.

I was talking to a buddy of mine and I asked him about the holes on the hub section and he said those are to basically make that section of the rotor weaker so that it acts more like a floating rotor. He said it helps prevent the rotor from coning, this can cause brakes to drag and cause other brake related issues. Has nothing to do with cooling but it could prevent as much heat from getting to the hub I guess?

I'll post up some pics of the pads and rotors after the track day as well as lap times so you have an idea of what they went through.

How did this test go?

Originally Posted by LickyMYwalker
well one just cracked at buttonwillow... i dont have the rotor, a friend cracked his.

How old was the rotor that cracked?

What brake pads were they using?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP2k
While at the Porsche museum in Stuttgart the other day I was checking out the dual shocks on this famous Dakar Rally 959 and I noticed the brake rotors.

I had seen this before I guess the design has been around a while.
I have a used rotor that was taken off a Champ Car from around 2005 that also has the J-hook design. It is definitely not a new design but also not one that I have seen very often. I am sure I've seen it on one or two other top level motorsport vehicles though.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of the SOS rotors and was really pleased w/ them. Unfortunately, I warped them at the end of Oct. after an ~30 min. session at TWS. Upon closer inspection, they had lots of hairline cracks. Great rotors, but I had them for maybe 5 months, and that's a lot of money if I'm going to have to replace them that frequently. I'm going to try ducting w/ stock rotors next, and then may an Accord caliper upgrade as soon as the spacers become available again.