S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

attn: S2000 owners who track - no point mod brake upgrade that makes a difference

Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS
Originally Posted by dhean' timestamp='1303405618' post='20492691
A few questions for Chris/SOS

Do the "j" dimples accelerate pad wear as much as some slotted rotors? Do they serve any functional purpose? Are they casted in? I'm actually very interested in the product, since I'm gonna need a new set of rotors for a track event that's coming up very soon.
The j slot is machined in. The slots are chamfered slightly, which should make a big difference compared to standard slots running from the inside to the outside of the disc that have a very aggressive deep slot that puts a very tall bur on the edge of the machined in slot. Thank you for considering this for your next set of rotors.

regards,
-- Chris

Will you guys be offering the rotors w/o the dimples?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dhean
Originally Posted by Chris@SoS' timestamp='1303410510' post='20493066
[quote name='dhean' timestamp='1303405618' post='20492691']

Do the "j" dimples accelerate pad wear as much as some slotted rotors? Do they serve any functional purpose? Are they casted in? I'm actually very interested in the product, since I'm gonna need a new set of rotors for a track event that's coming up very soon.
The j slot is machined in. The slots are chamfered slightly, which should make a big difference compared to standard slots running from the inside to the outside of the disc that have a very aggressive deep slot that puts a very tall bur on the edge of the machined in slot. Thank you for considering this for your next set of rotors.

regards,
-- Chris
We do not plan to because this would require a separate production run. I don't see a disadvantage to the J slot. Is the reason you're asking related to being able to use the rotors in a race class that doesn't allow slotted rotors?

Thanks
[/quote]
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diet Plan.

Chris, just as a heads up.. we'll be testing a couple of these and more than likely Mac will share the results. We have guys that don't last 1 trackday with their rotors (other issues, we know).
Attached Thumbnails attn: S2000 owners who track - no point mod brake upgrade that makes a difference-apm_rotor_weight.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I fail to see how these will last any longer than centric/stock rotors. Curious about results from some of the fast s2k drivers tho.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS
Originally Posted by dhean' timestamp='1303423225' post='20493966
[quote name='Chris@SoS' timestamp='1303410510' post='20493066']
[quote name='dhean' timestamp='1303405618' post='20492691']

regards,
-- Chris
We do not plan to because this would require a separate production run. I don't see a disadvantage to the J slot. Is the reason you're asking related to being able to use the rotors in a race class that doesn't allow slotted rotors?

Thanks
[/quote]
[/quote]

No, my questions were not related to race class qualifications. I was concerned with possibly unnecessary pad wear + lost of contact surface area in order to machine in the hooks.

I wasn't aware of the advantages of the j slot so I searched around online. From reading AP's website, it appears that the hooks are designed to improve initial bite over standard straight/arched slots which should already improve initial bite over oem blanks. Also found that some of the subaru guys have track tested this style of rotor, albeit a different brand, and noted that the disc temperatures were noticeably below that of their stock blanks. It seems that the dual/front venting works, but I'm not exactly convinced the J hooks are needed. They do look nice, and SOS does have competitive pricing for this style of rotors for the s2k.

Hopefully we'll have more data available to us soon.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik
Curious about results from some of the fast s2k drivers tho.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Former Moderator

I'm going to assume this weight is saved from the holes in the hat as well as the rotor design?

SOS

Centric
Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by dhean
No, my questions were not related to race class qualifications. I was concerned with possibly unnecessary pad wear + lost of contact surface area in order to machine in the hooks.

I wasn't aware of the advantages of the j slot so I searched around online. From reading AP's website, it appears that the hooks are designed to improve initial bite over standard straight/arched slots which should already improve initial bite over oem blanks. Also found that some of the subaru guys have track tested this style of rotor, albeit a different brand, and noted that the disc temperatures were noticeably below that of their stock blanks. It seems that the dual/front venting works, but I'm not exactly convinced the J hooks are needed. They do look nice, and SOS does have competitive pricing for this style of rotors for the s2k.

Hopefully we'll have more data available to us soon.

I was one of the Subaru testers back when I had my STI. They were APM Racing rotors which I also have on the s2k but seem like they are now exclusive through SoS.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by DiscoWagon
I was one of the Subaru testers back when I had my STI. They were APM Racing rotors which I also have on the s2k but seem like they are now exclusive through SoS.
Evasive also has them
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/731...-brake-thread/
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How soon until real results will be seen?

Quick Reply: attn: S2000 owners who track - no point mod brake upgrade that makes a difference