S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

attn: S2000 owners who track - no point mod brake upgrade that makes a difference

Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Originally Posted by Beard' timestamp='1302793685' post='20466245
[quote name='macr88' timestamp='1302766915' post='20465289']
For people that have gone the distance of routing ducting, that ducting will be useless on these bad boys.
I wouldn't say the ducting would become useless, maybe less efficient but any air to help cool the brakes will still help.
Yea, I guess the holes in the hub area will allow some air to flow to the vanes but definitely not ideal.
Definitely a nice rotor and it would be nice if someone did a temp test on them or at least see someone that kills rotors test these to see if they last longer.
[/quote]

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS
Originally Posted by macr88' timestamp='1303178370' post='20480971
[quote name='Chris@SoS' timestamp='1303177045' post='20480889']
[quote name='Beard' timestamp='1302793685' post='20466245']
[quote name='macr88' timestamp='1302766915' post='20465289']
For people that have gone the distance of routing ducting, that ducting will be useless on these bad boys.
I wouldn't say the ducting would become useless, maybe less efficient but any air to help cool the brakes will still help.
Ducting will still help with a directionally vented rotor. I'm not sure how these would make it less efficient.

-- Chris
[/quote]
Take a look at a stock rotor and then take a look at the rotor you're selling and you just might see why I made that statement.
[/quote]

I think I understand your question better. The front rotors are reverse mount. This is done because it is more efficient for the suction created by the vanes to draw from the front side of the rotor than the rear. This photo shows the rotor installed on the front upright.

However, ducting to the center of the hub area is still utilized by windows in the hub barrel that feed the vented rotor disc as shown by these photos.

In addition to the disc being more efficiently fed on the front side with the reverse mount design, I believe that this method is actually more efficient for ducting to the hub area as well compared to a factory style rotor with a rear mounted disc. The reverse mount design causes air to be encapsulated by the cup of the hub barrel feeding the entire rotor all the time (where there is suction present in all vanes). This will be more efficent than ducting only a portion of a factory rotor on the back side, where there is no suction anyway from the staight vanes.

Hope that clarifies the design.

regards,
-- Chris
[/quote]
The design is clear and I do like it and for someone not wanting to route ducting like myself it might be the way to go.
I would just like to get some feedback of temps like friction surface temps, wheel temps of before and after as well as ambient temps at time of testing. If the temps are much lower than I think the cost would be well worth it. I'm just not sold yet but hopefully I will be soon.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd love to see some field test results as well. If the temps are lower, then I'd be in as well.

On a side note, my rotors always start with microfractures, and then eventually a full on crack, but the cracks and fractures are ALWAYS along a vane. The vanes on these rotors are longer...
Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im interested too, but...
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/856...-vaned-rotors/
"SoS was going to run some tests but they had a front rotor fail on their Time Attack AP2 and couldn't finish the test. " post #23

^hope that wasnt THEIR rotor that failed...

I love SOS, and id be first in line to buy these, if/when results come back that show they are what they claim to be, i am a numbers guy and i like seeing the proof!

+1 for SoS, keep us updated!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

I think the poster of the rotor failure forgot to specify what brand rotor failed, and how. Would be terrible if the newly advertised rotor just failed....
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
^ I would hope this "failure" was on a different brand of rotor? Not the ones being advertised here...
No, they were factory Honda rotors that split from the hub to the edge of the disc after 5 track weekends on our 05. It was too bad, as the track that the Modified Magazine event was placed at is a very consistent track with a hard 130 mph braking zone which we were using to conduct temperature testing. The factory disc cracking early will delay the testing to the next event.

Here are some more photos from that event:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/news/0...fied_Magazine/

regards,
-- Chris
Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

I figured they weren't the new rotors, but it did need to be clarified. Were you planning on running some of the event with the Honda OEM rotors, then switching to the new style rotors?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes, we planned this and mounted the factory rotors for this testing.

-- Chris
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS
Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1303354641' post='20490338
^ I would hope this "failure" was on a different brand of rotor? Not the ones being advertised here...
No, they were factory Honda rotors that split from the hub to the edge of the disc after 5 track weekends on our 05. It was too bad, as the track that the Modified Magazine event was placed at is a very consistent track with a hard 130 mph braking zone which we were using to conduct temperature testing. The factory disc cracking early will delay the testing to the next event.

Here are some more photos from that event:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/news/0...fied_Magazine/

regards,
-- Chris
I hope you conduct the test on new rotors to rule out variables. Five track weekends is more than most people get on stock rotors.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few questions for Chris/SOS

Do the "j" dimples accelerate pad wear as much as some slotted rotors? Do they serve any functional purpose? Are they casted in? I'm actually very interested in the product, since I'm gonna need a new set of rotors for a track event that's coming up very soon.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dhean
A few questions for Chris/SOS

Do the "j" dimples accelerate pad wear as much as some slotted rotors? Do they serve any functional purpose? Are they casted in? I'm actually very interested in the product, since I'm gonna need a new set of rotors for a track event that's coming up very soon.
The j slot is machined in. The slots are chamfered slightly, which should make a big difference compared to standard slots running from the inside to the outside of the disc that have a very aggressive deep slot that puts a very tall bur on the edge of the machined in slot. Thank you for considering this for your next set of rotors.

regards,
-- Chris

Quick Reply: attn: S2000 owners who track - no point mod brake upgrade that makes a difference