S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

AST 4100 Dampers

Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Sheel, I think your ride height looks good. Staying near 1 inch lower than stock should keep you off the bump stops.

I'd suggest you follow the Penske Tech Manual "Basic Start-up Guide" for initial shock setting. I based my KW V3 Tuning Guide on the procedure which can be seen here: http://robrobinette....0KWV3Tuning.htm You start with compression and rebound set to full soft and go from there.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robrob
Sheel, I think your ride height looks good. Staying near 1 inch lower than stock should keep you off the bump stops.

I'd suggest you follow the Penske Tech Manual "Basic Start-up Guide" for initial shock setting. I based my KW V3 Tuning Guide on the procedure which can be seen here: http://robrobinette....0KWV3Tuning.htm You start with compression and rebound set to full soft and go from there.

Thanks Rob, I read through your guide, including the corner balancing one and they were really helpful, i'll get my corners weighed again at VIR next weekend... I'll also have a look at the Penske manual.

Also, fyi to anyone looking to tune their AST 4X00 shocks, vorshlag also has a similar tuning guide.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.fordracingparts.com/Musta..._FR500S_v1.pdf
Old 10-07-2012, 04:45 AM
JHo
Member (Premium)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm looking at coil overs this winter with the intention of more track days and eventually getting into TTC. For my price point, I've been stuck between AST and Koni.

I feel a bit disappointed with the development of the 4150's. This product was announced last December as an early/mid 2012 release with a ton of promise with the improved digressive pistons, low friction seals, and aluminum bodies. This should help out a ton for somebody like me who doesn't yet have a dedicated track car. Now it's approaching winter of 2012, with a mid-2013 release (same story as last year). I know I can buy custom 4100's that are almost the same, but price would almost be the same, and you will have to wait for parts to come in from Holland.

I guess now I should start looking back into Koni's. At least those guys are local as opposed to Holland and are a far more known and stable entity.

Is anybody else as disappointed as I am that AST is taking 1.5 years to release a new product? I understand development delays, etc, but you shouldn't be making promises you can't keep.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

No joke. Hopefully they are worth the wait!

I am building a car for TTC next year too. It's really going to blow if I wait all winter and they aren't even here in time for next season...
Old 10-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We understand the frustration. I personally have been looking forward to 4150s for a while now. I was hoping to have them by this summer to run on my TT car, so as to get them dialed in by NASA Nationals. Unfortunately, I've had to wait as well. I believe in the AST product and have been willing to wait. I went to Nationals on my old suspension and did quite well. Would have taken home 1st place had I not gotten greedy.

In speaking with AST, the new 4150s are being released in order of demand by chassis that Holland chooses, not AST USA. AST USA has been great in working with us and answering any questions we have had about the product. The double digressive 4100s are a hold over that we've been able to arrange with AST USA, not AST Holland. For those of you who have been waiting patiently for the 4150s release, these double digressive 4100s will perform pretty much equal to the 4150s.

We expect 4150 testers from AST Jan/Feb - so for those of you waiting for 4150s, I suggest you look into these 4100s with double digressive (I've jokingly been referring to them as 4140s LOL) as the wait may be a while yet.

AST USA and us at GT Motoring understand the frustration. This is why we have been working with AST USA so closely. We believe in the product and have tried to get a product to market that will suit those who simply cannot wait until next year for 4150s. Let us know if we can help or if you'd be interested in some 4140s (LOL).

Don't compromise if you have been wanting ASTs for a while now.

Austin
GT Motoring
Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Just talked to AST and they said that the casings for the aluminum 4100s are now gone

They have submitted the finalized drawings for the s2000 to Holland and we should have pre-production kits in hand by the end of December! A few of these pre-production kits may be made available to select customers to test (PM if interested and let me know your experience with tracking the s2000, other suspension set ups you have run in the past, and if you drive your car on the street or not).

Finally...the wait is almost over!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Austin- I really appreciate you staying on top of this. The fact they will finally have pre-production units for testing is good news.

I certainly know of a car you can use to test fit the pre production units , if thats necessary
Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
Austin- I really appreciate you staying on top of this. The fact they will finally have pre-production units for testing is good news.

I certainly know of a car you can use to test fit the pre production units , if thats necessary
Rick,

Its easy to stay on top of something when you want it too! I was hoping to have a set on the car to test out at Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park in December, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now. Might have to find an event at NOLA or somewhere in TX or the SE to sneak the car down to in Jan/Feb to get some testing done with regards to the valving.

Really? Where would I find such a car?

Austin
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Is there any availability for the older 4100s?

Quick Reply: AST 4100 Dampers