S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

AST 4100 Dampers

Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmm ...to keep my kw clubsports with 11k springs(which haven't come in yet) or sell them to get these....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Waiting until the 4150s are released. They will be a better shock for not much more than the 4100s were new. And will be aluminum body vs steel (lighter) and you'll be able to upgrade them to double adjustables later if you want which you can't do on the 4100 series. That's not to take away from the 4100 series because they are also great shocks but you'll soon be able to buy better ones with more potential for not a lot of extra $$.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Hmm ...to keep my kw clubsports with 11k springs(which haven't come in yet) or sell them to get these....
Didn't you get yours in a group buy? Just sell them for what you bought them for and get the AST's August isn't that far away
Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Also aren't the clubsports twin tube and made from steel?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^yes
Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 AM

STainless steel....
I Got in on the group buy but if I do sell them it will only be if I can make money haha or trade for an oem top. I haven't rode in enough cars with high end suspension so I imagine I will be happy with either set up coming from buddyclub n+
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM

I was asked to come over and answer some questions about ASTs and their pricing and application for the S2000. I'm Jason McDaniel at Vorshlag.

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
...I am looking for a healthy balance between a track and autocross setup because I autocross about once a month and am going to track my S 2-4 times a year. I am wanting to go with a single adjustable at first so I can learn with these and move on to doubles later on and not be overwhelmed by the adjustability. Let me know if you have any experience with AST! Or if you have some friendly advice, I'm all ears
With that balance of street/track/autocross I'd suggest the AST 4100 or 4150 is the right damper for you.

Originally Posted by macr88
There's a car running AST's in the continental challenge or something like that and they were talking about them and it wasn't very good, the complaint was that they're seizing when they warm up.

I doubt it happens on track days though.
Actually a LOT of the cars in CC are running ASTs. The other most commonly used damper is the Koni 2812. The Konis have to be rebuilt after every event. The ASTs see rebuilds after every 5 or so events or when it's convenient. I understand that the "sticking" comment that's gone around was politically motivated and is far from the truth. In fact, Vorshlag is building a test fixture for AST-USA to simulate and record side loads on the struts when on the shock dyno to help them with future development and make their dampers even more bulletproof.

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
$2200 for the new 4150's not including springs. That brings up another question, which springs are better, hyperco or swift? Those are the two brands that the dealer carries
Both are good, but they have different applications. If you have packaging issues trying to get as much stroke out of the spring before spring bind, the Swift springs frequently (about half the time) have a little bit more stroke available. The Hyperco springs shine in longevity and robustness. If you have a fitment that requires very short springs that might, in an extreme situation like huge potholes, cause the spring to compress to spring bind, then the Hyperco tends to live through that with less or no loss of spring rate. The Swift doesn't do as well once it actually goes to spring bind, but it has to travel a little further before it binds. We use both when setting up different suspensions but favor the Hyperco springs based on longevity, selection and price.

Originally Posted by jaundice
Per the website, the 4100 start at 1999 and the 5100 start at 3000. Not sure where the 4150 will price out at. The 4100's are not convertible, but the 5100's are. The 4150's are supposedly convertible. AST is in Plano, TX, where I live. Easy to have them rebuilt as well. Vorshlag in Plano is a distributor and will hook you up with springs and top hats if you want.
Originally Posted by jaundice
Nice, what is the total with springs and tophats for the S2000 for the 4150's?
Pricing from AST is:
4100 = $1999
5100 = $3000
4150 = $2200

Those prices include the dampers, 60mm perches, tools and any adapter parts necessary to fit them to the car using the stock mounts.

If additional parts are bought through Vorshlag along with the dampers the prices are:
Pair of Hyperco springs = $100
Pair of Swift springs = $142
Pair of AST tender springs and dual spring adapters = $90
Set of four AST spherical top mounts = $558

Our own photos and information about the AST 4100s are on our page at:
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=490

The differences between the models are:
4100 = steel TUV accepted body, digressive piston, lots of available stroke based on compact stiffener and floater piston design
5100 = same as 4100 but aluminum body and upgradable to double adjustable, there are other 5100 features but they don't apply to S2000 versions
4150 = aluminum body, double digressive piston, Moton style stiffener, upgradable to double adjustable - BUT, not yet available

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Only the 4150s will be aluminum...4100s are steel. I had emailed Vorshlag about the 4150s and they are telling me it will probably be end of summer before they are actually available for the s2k so don't plan on getting some for a little while still.
We don't have a firm due date on the 4150s. They've been in development for a few months. AST has a really-really good competition adjuster that they were trying to integrate into the 4150 design, but they ran into too many OEM fitment and longevity compromises when used on this shock. So the internals had to go back to the drawing board and be redrawn to use the tried and true HD-4100 style adjuster. We are expecting the first beta versions in July before the entire country of Holland goes on vacation for 4-6 weeks during their summer break. If the beta 4150 parts work right, production parts will be made after the summer break starting in late August.

The 4100 and 5100 won't be available much sooner. They are special order in the USA. If they are in stock in Holland they can be here within two weeks. But if they have to be made, they take 4-8 weeks and will also be delayed by the summer break in the Netherlands.

Originally Posted by Urge
PSI west coast, Ohlins USA east coast. Due to their quality and extreme tolerances, Ohlins go a lot longer between rebuilds.
In my experience with Ohlins on motorcycles vs other motorcycle dampers they don't have any longevity advantage. They DO have some clever adjusters on some of the automotive versions and they have some nice OEM fitments for technology that other companies only offer in their race versions that are DIY fitments.

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
I love my AST's. Apparently Vorshlag is coming out with a new top hat mount for them. Yet to see a picture of it but I understand a set is on a car for testing now.
We are making a few different top hats and mounts using the same designs we use for our camber plates and should have them available by the end of the summer.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:25 AM

good info
Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 PM

4150s out yet?? anyone have?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
4150s out yet?? anyone have?

Not out. Talked to AST last week. Test kits should be arriving from Holland Jan/Feb.

In the meantime, I've been told that 4100s can be made with double digressive pistons and valving, very, very similar to a 4150.

PM us if you're interested.

Quick Reply: AST 4100 Dampers