S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Arai GP-5 HANS install

Old 10-11-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arai GP-5 HANS install

Hi guys,

I've been scouring the internet and have a call into Arai tech service about HANS anchor install into a GP5. The liner fits so tight to the outer shell that I can't see how I'd get the backing nut into the helmet.

I know it's a long shot but just taking a chance that someone might know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Send the helmet to HMS and let them install it?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks Rylan,

Had a call into Arai auto helmet service but the guy's voicemail is full... maybe vacation.

Emailed Speedware Motorsports (who I guess is the N/A distributor for Arai??) and they said they could talk me through it on the phone and that there was a trick to it but wasn't hard.

I'll post up how it comes out for reference.

Transferring the anchors from another helmet so I'd hate to send it in with the anchors.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:18 AM

Okay, talked with Andrew at Speedware Motorsports who by the way was very helpful.

The way you go about installing them is:

1) Remove the helmet cheek-pads which start by the chinstraps and end in a seam at the front of the chin-bar. If you pry near the visor opening with the visor open first it's a lot easier. The sides will come off as they are just press fit to the head cushion. You don't have to remove them completely, just pull away from the sides.

2) Slide the backing nuts into position with your fingers while gentlyprying the head cushion away from the shell with a screw driver. The fit is very tight, but you'll get it eventually.

3) Screw in the outside parts through the pre-drilled holes. I didn't even have to use a wrech on the backing nut because the fit was so tight.

I also wanted to say something quick about the helmet. This is my first Arai and I'll never buy any other brand of helmet again. The fit (for me) is perfect, very comfortable. The helmet is light and feels like wearing an open faced helmet because of the weight. Also the build quality is outstanding. The helmet is predrilled for HANS anchors and there is also many many tinted visors available from Caracoat or Arai themselves.