S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone swap to later ECU in AP1?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by sirbunz' timestamp='1404940447' post='23236824
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1404939230' post='23236794']
Swapping the ecu isnt worth crap, all the benefit comes from being able to lower vtec to gain a broader power band and the added benefit of smoothing out the "hit" for a more predictable/smoother trq curve. This is important on the track, and appealing on the street. You need a Test pipe though to take full advantage of this, allowing you to start picking up power as low as 3500rpm, otherwise with the stock cat you won’t see any gains until about 5300rpm.

Here this might be helpful
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/109...ning-solution/
I disagree ... depending on the device, a good tuner will improve the fuel mixture to help the engine and it's reliability at higher revs. Its no secret the S2000 runs lean from the factory and benefits from added fuel/adjusted timing in the mid range. There are also other benefits besides power. I have tuned all but my 1st S2000. On track, you still need to address the cooling and oil/fuel supply issues/concerns, but I error on the side of caution for these events. If you track a car, you are wearing stuff out fast, and you obviously can afford to leave the car at the track since this is a likely risk. That said, you may as well spend the money on your safety and the car's reliability/longevity. FWIW, i run a Haltech on both my S2000s. Its a direct plug and play for the 00-05 cars. You can get them used for ~1k. I have the hotter cylinders programmed to receive more fuel and modified the timing at higher revs and all temperature dependent. There are lots and lots of features and tuning available with these devices so long as your tuner knows how to take advantage of them. In the end, the difference could be a blown motor. I agree its not very likely for casual track days, but it does happen.

-Marc
Swapping ecu's (as in just another s2k ecu that runs leaner from the factory) That’s what this was in reference to from the OP. If you weren’t aware the 00-01 ecu run pig rich and later in 02+ Honda refined the fuel curve and picked up a little power as a result. But as mentioned, doing that pales in comparison to actually effecting the vtec engagement, which is where 90% of the available power can be made on this motor (in the midrange) through a few simple bolt ons and fuel tuning, all of which can be done without a full aftermarket EMS. You took what I said and went on a rather left field tangent. Many track s2k with stock ecu successfully, but if you want to do some simple safe improvements to the stock tuning for the DYI guy, there are some good options, without spending thousands of dollars. Honda got it 75% right out of the box, you can get another 10-20% of refinement without running a full EMS if your sticking to NA, in my experience tuning S2k's.
[/quote]

Maybe you missed this...

Originally Posted by sirbunz
If you are referring to converting to AP1v2 (02-03) ECU, there is improved tuning and added fuel over the earlier AP1 ECUs. I still wouldn't trust my car with it on a track and would want the security of a more advanced unit since mods to the airflow this car shows changes in the A/F using data from my local tuners and their experiences with s2000s.

-Marc
I have seen both early and later ecus, vafcs/neos, and fully programmable ECUs, all with data from the same sniffer, a couple with widebands ... the OEM ecu is pretty lean no matter which one. This was the determining factor in choosing another haltech for my streetable S2000. I can only explain what I have seen in person.

Sorry you feel my info was "left field," but it just might help someone who needs it though and I feel relevant. As for 75% this or 80% that , I have no clue how you calculated this. The stock S2000 is not track reliable. It will work, but I and some other local S2000 drivers have no problem overheating well prepared ones. I have seen many that have thrown a motor due to the reasons I mentioned. Despite this, in simplest/cheapest form, no ... you do not have to do anything to your car in order to track your s2000 except pass inspection. No worries though, you are right depending on how you wish to look at the topic.

-Marc
Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

My 01 runs low 12s AFR above 8000, not lean by any stretch
Old 07-09-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
Sounds about right above 8k. My '03 stock was approx 12.2 at 8100 using a sniffer combined/compared with my Haltech wideband. Both ap1 ecus look like they go really rich at the top end.

EDIT ... 3kish and 6k ish are where the mixture raised my eyebrow. 5-6k always seems a mess. With mods, it gets worse. A simple CT CAI made both mentioned points jump over 14.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Go with the Neo, you can adjust every 500rpms and also adjust vtec engagement based on % throttle, so it isn't noticeable off the track. There are also many other features that I am forgetting. Watch the boards and sometimes you can get the Neo and harness at a good value.

Coming from my last tuned car running with full kpro I was a bit reluctant to go with the Neo, hearing claims that you can't add fuel and that you ECU can override the tune. I talked with the shop I use, who I intrust with any and every car I have owned and he basically said all of that was total b.s. So I guess we will see how everything works out for me. The only other option for me was kpro and that is a $2k investment for maybe 5-10whp
lol kpro's not that expensive anymore dude! You also have to ask yourself what FUTURE plans you have for the car.

OP, I only suggest ems as your other option because I thought you were dead set on not using it. Before I went kpro, I used a vafc2 with boomslang harness and enjoyed it. As stated above, you would want to have a test pipe with either options. Understand you can only subtract fuel and NOT add fuel with a piggybacks(neo,vafc, vafc2)
Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So no one can comment on the benefits of the newer processor?

Maybe the VAFC is the right way to go. Is there a good tuning guide somewhere? What about data logging? Whats a cheap way to data log?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

VAFC 'tuning' is only for open loop (WOT) so don't worry about trying to tune closed loop.

You will need an AFR sensor to due any sort of tuning unless you rent a dyno that has a tail pipe sensor.

You can get an ODB2 bluetooth connector to your smart phone and observe how you are affecting engine timing by cutting fuel with a VAFC.

I suggest just get the VAFC and only drop VTEC, dont bother with the fuel tuning yourself unless you really know what you are doing. Dropping VTEC will give you the midrange bump you originally asked for.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM

That sounds reasonable. I am running a test pipe. Is it safe to bump it down to 5k with no other changes?

Where did you see the extension harness for $99. Best price I saw was $150.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by sirbunz
Originally Posted by s2000ellier' timestamp='1404957277' post='23237224
Sounds about right above 8k. My '03 stock was approx 12.2 at 8100 using a sniffer combined/compared with my Haltech wideband. Both ap1 ecus look like they go really rich at the top end.

EDIT ... 3kish and 6k ish are where the mixture raised my eyebrow. 5-6k always seems a mess. With mods, it gets worse. A simple CT CAI made both mentioned points jump over 14.
A sniffer IF you can pick up a good read, shows .5 leaner then actual due to its pick up location so keep that in mind. A wideband sensor at the test pipe is always more accurate then a tail sniffer.

When you lower vtec of course you will run leaner, the ecu still thinks its running in primary cam and delivering that amount of fuel. This area from the new lowered vtec to the stock engagement is where the rev band will show the first signs of fuel enrichment needed, IF the current MY ecu and bolt on config isnt pig rich to begin with, sometimes the primary cam fueling is adequate for the modified engagement without any additional fuel required. I found this to be more of a case with the early ap1's. Never the less, an onboard wideband is the best way to know where your at, tune appropriately.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM

So if I just lower the VTEC to 5k and drive it, am I looking for trouble?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
That sounds reasonable. I am running a test pipe. Is it safe to bump it down to 5k with no other changes?

Where did you see the extension harness for $99. Best price I saw was $150.
Yes that will be fine, considering your MY ecu and vtec lowering point. From 5-6k its a bit of a flat/dead zone and where the stock fueling runs rich, now if you were to lower beyond 5k id say start thinking about checking your afr and potentially getting some fuel enrichment depending on how your motor is breathing with any bolt ons, 4500rpm is a sweet spot and shows the most gains and naturally the most fuel would be needed there. 3500 - 6k is the typical vtec improvement point with TP, and from 4k to 4500 is where the mid range power peaks. From 5-6 k you’re getting some bump in power, but its not as significant as the previous 1000 rpm.

Quick Reply: Anyone swap to later ECU in AP1?