S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone swap to later ECU in AP1?

Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone swap to later ECU in AP1?

After my first track day, I noticed my 00 could use some more midrange power. It can be pretty flat before VTEC. First I looked into a VAFC and dyno tune as a simple solution. The VAFC is a compromise tune that only works on WOT. Plus considering $300 for the VAFC and harness and at least $200 for dynoing, it did not seem cost effective.

I found some posts of people with MY00-01 cars upgrading to the later processor. The anecdotal evidence indicates more low-midrange power and a smoother transition to vtec.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this type of upgrade. Cost of a processor is about $100 and maybe another $100 to get it re keyed, seems more cost effective.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
After my first track day, I noticed my 00 could use some more midrange power. It can be pretty flat before VTEC. First I looked into a VAFC and dyno tune as a simple solution. The VAFC is a compromise tune that only works on WOT. Plus considering $300 for the VAFC and harness and at least $200 for dynoing, it did not seem cost effective.

I found some posts of people with MY00-01 cars upgrading to the later processor. The anecdotal evidence indicates more low-midrange power and a smoother transition to vtec.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this type of upgrade. Cost of a processor is about $100 and maybe another $100 to get it re keyed, seems more cost effective.
Better off getting a standalone since you don't want a piggyback, AEM V1 EMS is the best bang for buck right now. Partner the EMS with a test pipe, the car becomes more enjoyable. 00-01 vs 02-03 ecu swap is honestly a waste per gain
Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I actually think the VAFC is the way to go with earlier models. The NEO in particular seems to be a good value. You are forgetting that with the VAFC you can lower vtec, which is about the most significant gain you will get from any tune with these cars. A good tuner should be able to do quite a bit with a VAFC NEO. I suppose I will find out soon, as that is the route I went. I did have k-pro on my kswap civic back in the day, so I will let you know my thoughts.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Barring getting a full EMS and paying $500 for tuning a VAFC is a easy way to get power by dropping VTEC to around 4500 if you have a test pipe.

I picked up a used original VAFC off ebay for $115 and used a 99$ extension harness to wire it into so I didn't have to hack up my OEM harness.

On my 01 with a 70mm exhaust, CAI, and test pipe with my VAFC and VTEC at 4000 it pulls great on track and considering on track you are rarely below 4k its a sweet spot

I don't street drive my car and set VTEC back to 6000 while driving to and from track. I don't bother to tune the fuel stuff since the mods make it lean itself out.

When I logged the AFR with my LC1 it wasn't the smoothest line obviously but it wasn't dangerously lean nor was it pig rich. So the bulk of the power is there and the extra fine tuning isn't worth the cost to me. Good enough I guess.

Don't bother trying to tune part-throttle with an OEM ECU it will just adjust away your tuning anyway.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well it seems like there is more to be gained with a VAFC. That being said its not quite as simple as a ECU swap. I have yet to find the harness extension that cheap. It seems most sell the VAFC and harness used for $250-300. Then I need to go find someone to dyno tune it, another $200.

Again if the differences are worth it, fine. But do you have experience with the OEM processor upgrade? Can you compare?

Regarding the AEM, that seems like overkill for my basic setup. But is it bolt on and go? More custom tuning? does it have all the features of an OEM processor?

Also just to give this some perspective, this is not a dedicated race car. Its 95% street. I am just looking for a more forgiving power band when on the track.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Swapping the ecu isnt worth crap, all the benefit comes from being able to lower vtec to gain a broader power band and the added benefit of smoothing out the "hit" for a more predictable/smoother trq curve. This is important on the track, and appealing on the street. You need a Test pipe though to take full advantage of this, allowing you to start picking up power as low as 3500rpm, otherwise with the stock cat you won’t see any gains until about 5300rpm.

Here this might be helpful
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/109...ning-solution/
Old 07-09-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Swapping the ecu isnt worth crap, all the benefit comes from being able to lower vtec to gain a broader power band and the added benefit of smoothing out the "hit" for a more predictable/smoother trq curve. This is important on the track, and appealing on the street. You need a Test pipe though to take full advantage of this, allowing you to start picking up power as low as 3500rpm, otherwise with the stock cat you won’t see any gains until about 5300rpm.

I disagree ... depending on the device, a good tuner will improve the fuel mixture to help the engine and it's reliability at higher revs. Its no secret the S2000 runs lean from the factory and benefits from added fuel/adjusted timing in the mid range. There are also other benefits besides power. I have tuned all but my 1st S2000. On track, you still need to address the cooling and oil/fuel supply issues/concerns, but I error on the side of caution for these events. If you track a car, you are wearing stuff out fast, and you obviously can afford to leave the car at the track since this is a likely risk. OP ... That said, you may as well spend the money on your safety and the car's reliability/longevity. FWIW, i run a Haltech on both my S2000s. Its a direct plug and play for the 00-05 cars. You can get them used for ~1k. I have the hotter cylinders programmed to receive more fuel and modified the timing at higher revs and all temperature dependent. There are lots and lots of features and tuning available with these devices so long as your tuner knows how to take advantage of them. In the end, the difference could be a blown motor. I agree its not very likely for casual track days, but it does happen.

If you are referring to converting to AP1v2 (02-03) ECU, there is improved tuning and added fuel over the earlier AP1 ECUs. I still wouldn't trust my car with it on a track and would want the security of a more advanced unit since mods to the airflow this car shows changes in the A/F using data from my local tuners and their experiences with s2000s.

-Marc
Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by sirbunz
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1404939230' post='23236794

I disagree ... depending on the device, a good tuner will improve the fuel mixture to help the engine and it's reliability at higher revs. Its no secret the S2000 runs lean from the factory and benefits from added fuel/adjusted timing in the mid range. There are also other benefits besides power. I have tuned all but my 1st S2000. On track, you still need to address the cooling and oil/fuel supply issues/concerns, but I error on the side of caution for these events. If you track a car, you are wearing stuff out fast, and you obviously can afford to leave the car at the track since this is a likely risk. That said, you may as well spend the money on your safety and the car's reliability/longevity. FWIW, i run a Haltech on both my S2000s. Its a direct plug and play for the 00-05 cars. You can get them used for ~1k. I have the hotter cylinders programmed to receive more fuel and modified the timing at higher revs and all temperature dependent. There are lots and lots of features and tuning available with these devices so long as your tuner knows how to take advantage of them. In the end, the difference could be a blown motor. I agree its not very likely for casual track days, but it does happen.

-Marc
Swapping ecu's (as in just another s2k ecu that runs leaner from the factory) That’s what this was in reference to from the OP. If you weren’t aware the 00-01 ecu run pig rich and later in 02+ Honda refined the fuel curve and picked up a little power as a result. But as mentioned, doing that pales in comparison to actually effecting the vtec engagement, which is where 90% of the available power can be made on this motor (in the midrange) through a few simple bolt ons and fuel tuning, all of which can be done without a full aftermarket EMS. You took what I said and went on a rather left field tangent. Many track s2k with stock ecu successfully, but if you want to do some simple safe improvements to the stock tuning for the DYI guy, there are some good options, without spending thousands of dollars. Honda got it 75% right out of the box, you can get another 10-20% of refinement without running a full EMS if your sticking to NA, in my experience tuning S2k's.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Go with the Neo, you can adjust every 500rpms and also adjust vtec engagement based on % throttle, so it isn't noticeable off the track. There are also many other features that I am forgetting. Watch the boards and sometimes you can get the Neo and harness at a good value.

Coming from my last tuned car running with full kpro I was a bit reluctant to go with the Neo, hearing claims that you can't add fuel and that you ECU can override the tune. I talked with the shop I use, who I intrust with any and every car I have owned and he basically said all of that was total b.s. So I guess we will see how everything works out for me. The only other option for me was kpro and that is a $2k investment for maybe 5-10whp
Old 07-09-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Boomslang sells a simple extension harness for $99, you just have to do the wiring yourself which isn't that hard.

Quick Reply: Anyone swap to later ECU in AP1?