S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone have a air duct/hose coming into the cabin?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a air duct/hose coming into the cabin?

After doing so many track days in this Florida summer heat i feel dead when i am in the car and when i get out. I do not have any air coming in directly to me. I was wondering if anyone has made an air duct with a hose coming into the cockpit? i am usually pretty creative when thinking of how to made stuff, but i am a little stumped on this one. I cannot think of a way to get air from the front of the car come inside without me having to drill threw the firewall? or am i missing something? I don't need it to look pretty, the car is stripped on the inside, all race prepped and does not even have side windows. So i am tryng to think how to get something to work. any ideas?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:59 AM

only thing off the top of my head is a setup my buddy has for his helmet cooling system where he has a tube similar to brake ducting only clear coming out to the left, above, and behind his head where the rear of the top and top of the top where the window meets in the corner. thats where his tube comes out gets good air flow then circles around and back to him.
that may be a little confusing if i can help let me know
GL
Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 AM

On a long road trip in a Miata without AC we got some white 2" flexible vinyl dryer ducting from Home Depot and wedged it between the mirror and the A-pillar. It moved an amazing amount of air!

It did partially block the mirrors, but it didn't matter. Stick that hose under your shirt and enjoy the relative bliss. We didn't use screens on the inlet but I think it would be a really good idea to prevent bees/etc. in your shirt.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of Miata guys run a duct from the triangular window behind the A-pillar. The S2000 doesn't have one of those, though.

Have you considered a forced air helmet and blower? Or a cool shirt or vest? Or even just running the air conditioning?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

what I did with my CRX:

it was routed to a ice chest full of... ice/water, it helped cool the air, then it funneled to my side-port helmet. At one point, I split the duct... one to the helmet, the other to chest.

For a S2000... maybe use the passenger side window? I've see guys run a duct on the cage upright... it was mounted behind the window so you could still roll up the window... roll it down and now the duct was receiving air. Then run that duct to whatever you want.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by nickp,Jun 21 2010, 02:59 AM
only thing off the top of my head is a setup my buddy has for his helmet cooling system where he has a tube similar to brake ducting only clear coming out to the left, above, and behind his head where the rear of the top and top of the top where the window meets in the corner. thats where his tube comes out gets good air flow then circles around and back to him.
that may be a little confusing if i can help let me know
GL
Not bad, you do not by any chance have pictures of that setup do you?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by captain_pants,Jun 21 2010, 05:04 AM
On a long road trip in a Miata without AC we got some white 2" flexible vinyl dryer ducting from Home Depot and wedged it between the mirror and the A-pillar. It moved an amazing amount of air!

It did partially block the mirrors, but it didn't matter. Stick that hose under your shirt and enjoy the relative bliss. We didn't use screens on the inlet but I think it would be a really good idea to prevent bees/etc. in your shirt.
Hmmm, that is not a bad idea actually!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Jun 21 2010, 07:43 AM
A lot of Miata guys run a duct from the triangular window behind the A-pillar. The S2000 doesn't have one of those, though.

Have you considered a forced air helmet and blower? Or a cool shirt or vest? Or even just running the air conditioning?
yes, most likely eventually i will get a cool shirt soon, but in the meantime, i would not mind air blowing on me, in fact, i would not mind air blowing on me and the coo shit! I don't think its possible to get to cold here in the summer!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Driven,Jun 21 2010, 03:38 PM
what I did with my CRX:

it was routed to a ice chest full of... ice/water, it helped cool the air, then it funneled to my side-port helmet. At one point, I split the duct... one to the helmet, the other to chest.

For a S2000... maybe use the passenger side window? I've see guys run a duct on the cage upright... it was mounted behind the window so you could still roll up the window... roll it down and now the duct was receiving air. Then run that duct to whatever you want.
How did that work out for you on the CRX? maybe i can fab up some vent like that, and just have it run to the front of me and not into my helmet, did you actually get enough air from that to feel it?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ran the SP Lemon enduro race in 95+ degree heat. We made a duct and it worked great. Wish I could say the same thing about our engine.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a air duct/hose coming into the cabin?