S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Any simple rules of thumb for AP1 oversteer?

Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any simple rules of thumb for AP1 oversteer?

Just got the S - a stock '02 - and have yet to get it to an autocross event. I am/was an intermediate-skilled autocrosser who hasn't run in about 3 years, so I'm pretty darn rusty. I've played around a bit on the street but I haven't fully been able to explore the car's tendencies for obvious common sense safety concerns. I HAVE noticed that this car will oversteer quite readily, as it is widely reputed to do.

With my previous car, an MR-2 Spyder, my approach was pretty simple when encountering oversteer - countersteer and avoid any sudden throttle lifts. That was simple and the car was predictable with the back end out. So far I'm getting the impression that the S will be trickier to manage.

Any "in a nutshell" type approach when exploring the limits of the S, specifically the oversteer thing? I know this has almost certainly been discussed ad nauseum, but as a newbie here I've quickly learned that the search function doesn't tend to serve up magic answers on a silver platter... so thanks for any tips or direction towards relevant discussions...
Old 09-20-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Controlling oversteer is the same for every car. Don't lift from the throttle, countersteer. Thats it.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:32 PM

Before you go knocking the S as uncontrollable and perpetuating false rumors, check the condition of your tires, air pressures, condition of the suspension, etc. You already know that sudden inputs can cause less predictable behavior, so I'm not going to assume it's your driving... yet

As for driving approaches, it'll be pretty much the same as your MR2. After all, it is a rear wheel drive vehicle.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Sep 20 2005, 03:30 PM
Controlling oversteer is the same for every rear wheel drive car. Don't lift from the throttle, countersteer. Thats it.
Fixed it for you
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM

Before you go knocking the S as uncontrollable and perpetuating false rumors, check the condition of your tires, air pressures, condition of the suspension, etc. You already know that sudden inputs can cause less predictable behavior, so I'm not going to assume it's your driving... yet
Didn't mean to push any buttons - just stating what I've read numerous times in numerous places! And yes, for the purpose of this thread, assume it's my driving, because it is doubtless the primary culprit here!

As for driving approaches, it'll be pretty much the same as your MR2. After all, it is a rear wheel drive vehicle.
Well, I know the MR2 was particularly susceptible to throttle-lift oversteer, and it lacked the power for throttle-on oversteer to as significant a threat as with the S. Maybe with this car you can find the skill limit more quickly - I wouldn't argue that point - just trying to address it.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the thing that makes managing the S2000's oversteer the most difficult is the OE tire. They are very crisp performers and they aren't as progressive as most OE tires. This leads to a more on/off sort of slip.

At least that's my theory and all my experience comes from an '00. Once they wear down a good bit, they are more progressive and therefore easier to contol in a powerslide. They just don't have that killer grip once you get past the wear bars.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that a lot of the "oversteer" problems with the S come from people that are use to driving front wheel drive cars. The S was my first rear wheel drive car, so learning to control the oversteer took some time and patience. Since you have prior experience, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:19 PM

Yeah, I realize that there might not be any "magic answer" and the physics of driving pretty much are what they are. Sitting here in front of my computer instead of being behind the wheel, it couldn't hurt to ask, though...
Old 09-20-2005, 03:52 PM

Besides driving style adjustments a thicker front sway bar will help keep the rear in line.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by l8brakr,Sep 20 2005, 06:52 PM
Besides driving style adjustments a thicker front sway bar will help keep the rear in line.
For a stock S2000 on stock tire sizes, this should be unnecessary.

Quick Reply: Any simple rules of thumb for AP1 oversteer?